Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

rehoming an unspayed pup, What to expect. Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Olivebea, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Olivebea

Olivebea PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

Little bit of advice needed, I currently own a 1.5 year old whippet Bitch, wonderful girl and much loved, we have had the opportunity to rehome a Male whippet, a year old - very sweet and gets on well with Olive. Neither are spayed. Olive had her first Heat 3 months ago, so im not too worried about her coming into heat but do not want to chance it as im aware they can be sporadic. We had planned to spay olive before her next heat, but as the new pup must be rehomed asap Im unsure who to do first and in what time frame.

I would prefer to spay the male first because I dont love the idea of having an unspayed male- just based on most of the unruly dogs at our local park being unspayed and im terrified of him getting hurt- He is friendly and submissive but one dog in particular i know is reactive to any unspayed male and it has put me on edge after a few incidences- and of course I do not want puppies. I can imagine joining a new home and then going through the op stressing any dog out alot? - how soon would be a good time?

Also in terms of a healing process how do you keep two young excitable dogs calm, do you walk one dog without the other as normal. If you cant walk them properly for two weeks how can you expect them to stay calm at home? So any advice on how to deal with a pup after a spay when you cant give them the exercise they need would be helpful too!
    We have always had rescued dogs who arrive spayed so have never been through this process before and im a little apprehensive.

Thankyou !

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Neutering the dog pup first would be probably the best. The operation is less invasive and the recovery is quicker. He would still be able to mate with her when she comes into season so do keep them apart at that time in case he damages her and scares her. For several months after the operation he will still be fertile (like men after vasectomies) so be aware of this.

Once they have settled down with each other and are no longer playing constantly then get your bitch spayed.

During recovery from the operations your dog can be walked but onlead only for about a week, but take care about to much charging about in case of damaging the wound. I kept my bitch on a flexi lead and only let her off when she had calmed down. if they are being too riotous with each other in the house it could be best to keep them separate.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If the male whippet is a year old then there is no reason why you cant get him neutered asap. Neutering a male is a smaller more straightforward operation then spaying a female. If your female had a season 3 months ago then she is probably about the right time to spay too. its normally recommended to spay females about 12 weeks after a season, because by then all the physical and hormone increases have returned to normal and the reproductive tract is in a resting state again.

4. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

I would say spay your girl first because then you don't have to worry about her coming into season and separating them. because even if he's neutered he can still try to mate with her and possibly hurt himself an her and could still get very worked up living in a home with an in season dog for a month.

Meezey, Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I was thinking along the lines of spaying the bitch first too as it is the ideal time for her to be spayed.

I would wait to have the whippet male neutered just to see how he goes when living with you, if he comes across maybe fearful, neutering could make him worse.

In my opinion dog parks are usually best avoided, if at all possible. Dog owners do not necessarily understand when dogs have had enough, and can cause more problematic behaviours in dogs than anything.

How wonderful to have 2 whippets in your household, am just jumping on the sighthound bandwagon myself and its been nearly a month of owning a lurcher and we don't know how we coped without one!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. TeddyMum

TeddyMum Mum to Teddy and Matilda xx

She could also get stroppy with him too if she comes into season x

lullabydream likes this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Absolutely...and like humans I guess when hormones fluctuate...not all seasons are the same!
    So her first season she could have sailed through, the second maybe not. My friends shih Tzu was great with her first season, her second season was like a bear with a sore head and so miserable and clingy.

TeddyMum likes this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

First of all, just to make things clearer for you, spay is the term for neutering a bitch and castration is the term for neutering a dog though it is often just called neutering.

Although 3 months after a season is the soonest you should get a bitch spayed you should be quite safe to get her in another month so you could get them well settled together before getting her spayed. You could get the dog castrated at the same time - at least that way they will both be quiet together, or wait till she has recovered then decide if he is a problem entire and get him done if he is and if not leave him intact.

Burrowzig likes this.
  9. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

I would lean to getting the bitch done first myself. Just to be aware our bitch came in to season every 3 months :( a newly neutered male will still be capable of impregnating a bitch so if she does come in early you would have to keep apart for a month anyway and they can also still mount and tie with bitches even when not fertile.. We intend to wait until out girl was 2 before spaying but she was just so miserable during it we spayed her at 18 months x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice