Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rehoming a cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Nina, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I visited an RSPCA centre on 16 December to adopt a cat and ended up reserving two, since our chosen cat was taken from a home with her sister and we did not want to split them up.

We are now some weeks down the line, and yet to hear from the home checker!

We work closely with our local rescue centres, and I know that this time of year sees a flood of unwanted animals, with little or no space to accommodate them. Therefore it does not make sense to me, why our home check is taking so long.

I did contact the RSPCA today, who confirmed that our details were passed over to the home checker the next day! They also said however, that these people are volunteers so they have to rely on their availability.

Has anyone here gone through this process, and if so, how long did you wait for your home check? It is so frustrating, since my poor cats have been in the centre now for over 2 months.

2. Victoria311617

Victoria311617 PetForums Junior

:mad:I went throught the same thing with a puppy a while back it took an amazing 6 weeks for the home checker to come and then we never heard anything! We rung them a week or 2 later and were told that we had been turned down because my husband was in the army and it wasnt secure enough for the dog! NOW I AM SORRY MY HUSBAND HAS A PAID JOB WE HAVE OUR OWN HOME AND I AM AT HOME ALL DAY WITH 2 CHILDREN SO HELLOOOOOO WHAT JUSTIFIES AS A BETTER FAMILY THAN THAT ! We would have loved it unconditionally amd were prepared to have passports done and everything so we could take it abroad should my husband be posted abroard. Im telling you they make it so difficult for people to adopt these animals that there is no wonder we go out and buy them as puppies the few people that there are in the world that want to keep our dogs til they are old and greey get turned away like leppers! There is something wrong with that or is that just me!

oh and ps they couldnt actually give us a reason as to why they turned us down! apparently there wasnt one on the form listed as an issue so WTF happened i think maybe the home check person just didnt like us!!

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Sadly that may be the only reason, my husband used to help out at our local RSPCA a few years ago, he has actually been there when people rung up about home checks, after putting the phone down they would say they're not having one, I don't like the area they live in. There are good and bad people in all walks of life, people should be considered for themselves, not where they live.
    A friend of mine had a follow up visit as her rescue dog walked towards the home checker, they said accusingly, "that dogs got a limp", my friend explained she only had three legs, and she was that way when she adopted her.

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

oh sorry but thats silly
    all these poor animals in rescue place's you would think they would like a place like that
    then i surpose if the person dont like you theres not alot you can do
    but thats should be discounted if the person likes you or not its if you can rightly look after a animal and the love time and space for one

5. Its all a bit strange: so many people would love to take one and to spoil rotten........Of cource it shoud be some reasonable check carried out but that is over the top.

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Before I got my gorgeous boy I contacted numerous rescues and some wouldnt home to me because I was 5 miles out of radius and some were just so rude on the phone and gave me a really good grilling!!

It was alot harder than it should of been so in the end I went private, so glad I did or I wouldnt have my boy now but they really shouldnt make it so difficult and the people shouldnt be rude! (Obviously they all arent rude just the ones I had the misfortune to encounter! but it put me off all the same)

7. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

This is extremely worrying news since I was actually at that centre last year conducting a radio broadcast for the BBC!

I did contact the centre yesterday, and I was assured that my details had been passed over to the home checker, but still I have heard nothing.

This morning I noted on GMTV, how rescue centres are appealing for people to come forward and adopt, since they had an influx of unwanted animals over the Christmas period.

I rather think that another call may be in order, only on this occasion I may enquire if there is a reason why I have not been contacted. My office is at home, I have worked with animals for over 30 years, and live in a country location. This is utter madness!

8. Bizarre. Beurocracy or something....Or they are just dont care.

9. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Great news. The RSPCA home checker was a lovely lady, and I passed with flying colours.

As soon as she realised that I have experience in dog behaviour she asked me about problems with her own dog, which I was more than happy to try and resolve. Also lent her a couple of very informative books.

Invited her back to see how the girls are getting on. Will post their pics sometime next week as we are collecting them tomorrow.

10. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

congratulations, hope they settle in well and look forward to the pictures :)

11. AJ

AJ Guest

Well I wish I noticed this thread before!

When we got Milo we had simular trouble getting the home check done, when he eventually came we failed because our fence wasn't high enough, we sorted it and had to wait ages again for another visit.

When we moved house we let them know and they're supposed to check the new home, they never bothered!

Then we went to adopt a cat and ended up with Ricki and Alvey, simular story to Nina here; as they're brothers we wanted to ensure they stuck together so got two! Would have been 3 if their sister hadn't already been reserved!

This time there was no home check just a call from the same guy that checked the old house when we were getting Milo to say he trusted us and would tell the centre he'd done the check and all was okay!

12. tracyi

tracyi PetForums Junior

I have rehomed 2 kittens from Cats Protection and never had a home visit yet :confused: Is it just RSPCA that do them, can't say I even thought about it before now

13. AJ

AJ Guest

I know Cats Protection used to do home visits not sure if they still do!

14. may

may PetForums VIP

I do home visits for The Oldies, the RSPCA and Cats protection should always do home Visits too :confused:

15. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

I had three home visits before i was able to get my two rescues and they brought them to me, That was cats protection then they rang about every four weeks for 3 mths to see how they were getting on as they were ferels and they worried if we could ever tame them , which we did im glad to say .

16. AJ

AJ Guest

When we got our cats they were ill, still recovering from cat flu and conjunctivitus. The RSPCA haven't done any home checks or called to see how they are getting on!

17. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

There are so many stories of people being refused for pathetic reasons - one lady I know was refused because she lives in a flat, but it's a flat with its own enclosed garden with a 6 foot fence and she walked her previous dog for miles every day. My parents were not exactly refused, the centre just told them that none of the dogs was suitable and they got the message. Quite what was wrong with them, apart from the fact that they were in their early 60s, I don't know. They're now in their mid 70s and my father still walks the neighbour's dog for miles every day.

If centres want to keep all the animals themselves, I suppose that's up to them, but to then ask the public for money when in fact they are putting up impossible barriers to people rehoming animals, and thus causing more animals to be put down because there are no vacancies, then it becomes another matter. Personally I have no time for the RSPCA and I wish they would stick to what they are good at - prosecuting genuine cases of cruelty and neglect - rather than terrorising breeders just because they don't think any animals should be bred, and destroying most of the unwanted animals they take in.

18. SavannahKitten

SavannahKitten PetForums Senior

Great news for you. :)
    It is utterly crazy that good homes are turned down for no apparent reason though. What's up with that?! :mad:

19. kittysoo

kittysoo PetForums Member

It looks like things have changed a lot since l last dealt with the RSPCA.

I went to Leicester RSPCA for my dog Lucy. I called up and asked if they had any GSD pupps in as ours had passed away a month earlier. They said that they had 1 GSD/Lab X aged 10 weeks. They encouraged me to reserve her so l was first reserve.

That was on the Thursday - on Saturday hubby and l went up with both of my teens to see her. They plonked her in my arms and we comfirmed that we would love to have her and then she walked off!

Eventually my husband caught up with her and she said that sorry for the wait but she was trying to get permission for us to take Lucy home right then and to have a home check done later!

They microchipped her, signed her over to us and off we went. In 30 minutes we walked out with this 10 week old adorable puppy - a week before Christmas, l might add. All l had done was take a photo of our Kaspar who we had just lost, sitting on a path with a huge swathe of countryside behind him. We filled in the name and address of our vets (l suppose it was a good sign that l knew the vets number off by heart but could'nt remember our own doctors) and told them that he had been insured.

We never heard from anyone about having a home check and even when l rang up they said they would send someone out at some point!

I recently lost Lucy to age related kidney failure just 2 weeks after her 12th birthday. :( She was a gorgeous happy girl who we all loved to bits and she had a lovely life. However we could have been a horrible family that just wanted her for the cute apeal for our children as a Christmas present. To this day no one from the RSPCA has ever contacted us. Looks like things have changed a lot.

20. AJ

AJ Guest

Not always though, it seems to vary from one branch to another. We got our two kittens without a home check, and never had a follow up phone call or home check for our dog. See my earlier post for the full story!

Surely they should be following the same procedures at each branch???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice