Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rehoming 2 Romanian dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Shonar2007, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shonar2007

Shonar2007 PetForums Newbie

Hi all

Looking for a bit of advice, we are rehoming a Romanian dog through a charity, the pup is 6 months and is one of 2 left of a littler of 5. We passed our home check etc and my partner had mentioned rehoming the sibling litter mate also. I spoke with the rescue who said they'd be happy to cover the cost of the 2nd pup if we rehome both as paying for the spaying/neutering was our worry known how important it was. My partner really wants to get the 2 of them but I am a bit more dubious if this would work?

2. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Having two would be great for them as they are siblings and always been together. It also would mean that they would have each other for company if you and your partner are out at work each day. You have to take into account two lots of insurance. I understand the charity is paying for the second puppy to be neutered etc; after that are the vet fees for the second pup down to you?

3. Shikoku

Shikoku PetForums VIP

@simplysardonic has a Romanian rescue I believe?

They aren't the easiest of Dogs, often living on the streets or in a pound with minimal human contact. Many of them are often nervous and need a lot of time to adjust to living in a home environment with all the new sounds. Not to mention getting them used to walking outside, they can be escape artists especially if frightened.

@Shonar2007 Personally I would just take one puppy and put all my concentration and effort into him or her since he or she will need all of your attention and wait until you have a good bond and are happy with that Dog's behaviour before adding another Dog to your home.
    The other puppy will no doubt quickly find another home :)

Two puppies are triple the work, training and expense. Often picking up both good and bad habits from one another. Google litter mate syndrome.
    Raising two puppies is possible but it is incredibly hard work and not recommended unless you seriously know what you're letting yourself in for, I'm surprised a rescue would allow it.

4. Shonar2007

I am unsure what their bond is actually like together they had said it would be sad to the last one from the litter be left behind but did say no pressure whatsoever I actually work from home I am a childminder and do the odd shift in care maybe once a week so I am at home majority of the time. I believe they were also taken in to the shelter back in October so not sure how much time they spent out on the streets

5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Actually, looking after a few children as well might be quite challenging, didn't realise you were a childminder.

6. Shonar2007

I only do it part time and don't plan to do it anymore than I do at moment.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would say stick with one dog as two could be extremely hard work.

Have you checked with the parents of the children you look after if they mind about the dog? I wouldn't be happy tbh

cava14 una likes this.
  8. Shonar2007

Can I ask what wouldn't you need happy with? I will have the pup without any childminding children for 5 days to settle in. I only have these children for 5 hours 2 days a week

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

A completely unknown dog around my child, especially as it's not a tiny pup but is already 6 months old. He is a completely unknown entity.

Even with the best security, accidents happen.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs! ;)

Have you checked with the parents?

10. Shonar2007

Both parents know :) I am not irresponsible and know if the dog was 'hyper' as per say they would be seperated as i wouldnt take that chance with my youngest child anyway. ~I have a very large kitchen which already has a stair gate in situ.

11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I can't combine the threads but will move this one to dog chat and close it , then you will only get replies to one thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice