Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rehomed a cat...help!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by 19Shazza93, Feb 16, 2021.

1. 19Shazza93

19Shazza93 PetForums Newbie

Hi all
    I've just rehomed an indoor bengal cross from a lovely lady. The lady runs a cattery and Pip (my cat) wasn't happy with all the kittens latching on to her. She lived with 4 other cats both between the house and the cattery.
    I've had Pip a little over a week now, she cries constantly, yowls both throughout the day and night, shes super clingy, keeps urinating in the living room when I ignore her (I keep her litter box cleaned twice a day because she's picky) and she seems to be overgrooming.
    Im concerned shes now lonely as shes the only cat in the house. She won't play with interactive toys on her own, I always said I wouldnt let her upstairs on a night but shes clawing my doors to get up there (she doesn't even bother with upstairs on a day time even though the doors are open unless I am up there).
    I've bought her the same food she ate previously, shes spoiled for choice with toys. She has a mixture of catnip toys, wands, feathers, light toys, interactive ball chasing toys, treat puzzle toys (all which i rotate through) ....she has a cat tree, multiple beds in each room in a mixture of high and low places.

Is it cruel to keep her as a solo cat or will she settle down?
    Edit: She is 3 and has always been an indoor cat. The previous owner said this behaviour isn't like her

2. Jenbob21

Jenbob21 PetForums Member

Bless her she sounds a little bit stressed.
    I think you have to remember shes has a huge change and is still adjusting and it might take time for her to settle in.
    My boy can be abit of a yowler if we dont give him enough attention but if I sit on the floor with him he generally calms down and enjoys me brushing him etc. Mine also dont play with toys on their own really but we have a Da Bird wand toy which the boy especially goes bonkers for and we tire him out with this. My boy will shout at me if hes hungry though so might be worth checking she if she needs abit more food.
    Otherwise has she got a cat tree to climb up and nap on/look out the window etc.
    You may also need an extra litter tray if she is having accidents.

3. 19Shazza93

19Shazza93 PetForums Newbie

4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@19Shazza93
    Hi,
    Is she a former breeding cat?
    Do you know how old she was when she was sterilized ( if she is sterilized).

I agree, have two litter trays for her and I would allow her upstairs at night. Put one tray upstairs and one down. It seems she wants to be with you at night.

Have you tried any calming diffusers, Beaphar or Pet Remedy? I would have one upstairs and one down.
    Another option is a calming spot on given on the back of the neck. Bach's and Beaphar do those.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice