Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rehome together or seperate???

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I don't know what to do.

We haven't decied if we are going to yet but I am just deciding wether they should stay together.

They are 3 years old male and female bsh ginger tabbys.
    They HAVE to have outdoor access they get stressed if they don't.

But I wouldn't say they like eachother and they certainly don't spend any time together. But, they have been together for ever, they are brother and sister I got them at 8 weeks from a farm.

Ive been having a few problems with the male.. mainly refusing to come in so I can walk the dogs and he will follow us, nearly getting run over a few times. If you shut him in he will not use a litter box no matter what type of box or litter you use. he has peed all over my jumpers in the wardrobe and pood in the house several times because he was shut in.
    Yet if I dont shut him in he just follows me and will run infront of cars!

I have tried chasing him away, throwing water on him, getting someone else to chase him away (if there is someone around!) and that has worked up until tonight!
    He nearly ran under the nose of an aggressive dog, then I got someone t chase him away but he appeared and my dog yanked the lead out my hand before I had a chance to sort him out after going to the shop, I have bad elbows at the moment and it affects my grip. The cat and the dog both nearly got run over.

Im getting a puppy in a few months and it just will not be possible to have the cat shut in every time I need to take puppy out. I have tried a feliway thingy and it made no difference.

I just get so scared he is going to go under the wheels of a car while he is following me! I love him to bits but I dont want a dead cat! I had dogs before cats and I cant not have a dog, I am a true dog person at heart while I love my cats, my dogs will always be first.

I just don't know what to do anymore and I want my cats to have a danger free (or as danger free as possible) life and that isn't here in the town :(

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Firstly I would say your responsibilities lie with your current animals rather than future animals.

Where do your cats have outside access? Why do they have to come in so you can walk dogs? If they get to go outdoors, I dont see why they cant be outdoors.

Is it that you have an outdoor enclosure or enclosed garden? Why cant they go in there when you are walking the dogs? Throwing water and chasing are incredibly negative punishments... no wonder your cats act this way.

dougal22 likes this.
  3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

dont know what to suggust, but if the new pup that isnt born yet come first over the cats that you have had for 3 years... :( Are they pedigree British shorthairs (BSH) or moggie domestic shorthairs?

If they gt on well Id re-home them to someone who has more time for them, id never throw water either, IVe only done that to break up a cat fight outside my hosue when clapping didnt work.

chasing/throwing water on him not to follow you, isnt the best thing to do, they love you and want to be with you, maybe try a outside run (pick them up cheap on ebay) for when you walk the dogs? he sounds as though he is highly stressed so wees/poops when you leave, have you tried feliway?

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

They have a cat flap into my garden. I can't afford to cat proof it and they wont go in a run, they hate it :(
    The male has to come in so I can walk the dogs because he follows me and runs infront of cars... I did explain that in my first post.

It's not just because of the puppy. It is the issues I am having I cant even walk my dogs I have now without the cat having to be shut in, where he toilets in the house or following me, where he runs infront of cars

5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

If the're used to eachother rehome them together. Though this leaves me with a very sad feeling knowing they're being replaced by a puppy :(

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I think,if you reread the thread you will see that the problem lies with the cat wanting to go with the op on walks which is not a safe option for the cat.If the cat is shut in the house while the op walks her dogs it becomes stressed and pee's ect.

I need to type faster

PoisonGirl likes this.
  7. gloworm*mushroom

That doesnt really explain it. If your cats can go outdoors, then they can go near cars...

If you garden isnt cat proof (ie keeping them safe from cars) then I dont understand what difference this makes. How do you know theyre not running outside in front of cars all the time?

8. gloworm*mushroom

But its a cat with outdoor access?

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

They are not being replaced!

I already had dogs before I got my cats. I just want them to be safe!
    If I wasn't getting a puppy I would still have this problem on my hands it has nothing to do with a puppy why I want to rehome them!

10. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I haven't got any suggestions speak to rescue and let them go to rescue.. They will then decide from there..

But personally I couldn't get rid of my cat because it wasn't possible to shut it in and to get another puppy..

My responsibility.. would more than likely lie with the cats..
    I had 7 cats and several used to follow me whether with the dogs or not.. Its one of those things.. you either get them in before you leave the house or take the risk of having them follow you.

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Because I have watched him.

Out on his own, he has road sense, he sits in the road to sunbathe, he hears a car, he gets off the road and goes and hides.

When he is following me he does not have road sense. If a car comes he paniks and runs across the road thinking he is running away from it.

I apoligise for not wording my post correctly I am upset at the thought I will have to rehome him

12. gloworm*mushroom

I would suggest cat proofing the garden. I dont know how much it would cost, but perhaps cheaper than a puppy.

13. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Yes they are,but they are following the op on walks which involves crossing busy roads that they otherwise would not be near.

14. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I think you're saying that the only problem is that one of the cats follows you when you walk the dog? I can see that that isn't ideal but if you've had them since kittens for three years now and they're regularly outdoors.. well, I honestly don't see how it's not entirely do'able, with a bit of creative thinking, on managing to walk out of the front door whilst the cat is not out front to follow.

15. gloworm*mushroom

TBH I still dont 'get it' unless the cats are within sight and being watched 24 hours a day that they are outside. The cats could be going anywhere.

I understand that the OP says he has road sense when hes on his own, but not that he wouldnt go near those roads otherwise. Cats go all over, certainly as long as a dog walk.

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

But I CANT get him in the house when I want to go out! :(

My responsibility lies with mainly Dixie because I had her first. I can't not walk the dogs.
    I have tried EVERYTHING people have suggested about this.
    I am not getting rid of him so I can get a puppy. I just want him to be SAFE and he isn't!

17. gloworm*mushroom

How much would cat proofing the garden be, to allow him a safe outdoor environment?

18. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I'm not trying to be mean here but if you are having difficulties with your health why get a puppy? It will be alot more demanding on you than keeping your two cats. And honestly, why did you get the cats if they weren't a lifelong commitment? Again, sorry if I'm upsetting you, I guess I just can't see a reason that you've given that I personally would feel is valid.

Lulus mum likes this.
  19. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

You know PG I think you should just speak to a rescue rather than putting it on here.. As they will be able to advise you best.. Also you know when you put this type of thread question up what the response is going to be already..

20. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My garden is about 30meters long and 15 wide. I cannot attach anything or heighten the left hand fence because my neighbour is a cow and was going to kick up a fuss with the council because I wanted to put panels up to stop my dogs escaping. It cost us £200 for a 4ft fence just down one side and that was on the cheap because our old neighbours got it off someone who worked at the fence suppliers.
    My puppy doesnt cost me anything its from a friend.

I have tried that. He only use to follow the sound of the dog tags. So I got plastic ones. Tried taking the collar off and keeping the lead off so it didn't make a noise.
    He hears me shouting and hides in the alleyway. If you try and get him he runs off. He won't then take food.
    I have tried not calling him and then running. Exept he can run faster than me and followed me still. The one time I did manage to get out without him, he was already at the shop I was going to!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice