Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

regurgitating

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by mollydolly01, May 7, 2010.

1. mollydolly01

mollydolly01 PetForums Junior

molly's pups are 25 days old and i have just started weaning yesterday.
    I have just walked in the room and found their mum regurgitating her food in their bed, luckily enough i got to it before pups did. Any reason why she is doing this?

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

This is how mum would wean them naturally. Make sure she isn't allowed in with the pups within an hour of her eating now or she may make them poorly

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

As someone who knows diddlysquat about breeding, why is it a bad thing if its natural?

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Risk of choking is incredibly high and naturally dogs don't chew their food, especially kibble and a new puppy would choke on the kibble

5. RachyBobs

RachyBobs PetForums VIP

They do this to wean the babies and un-digested bits of biscuit can be very dangerous, i would keep her away from them until more than an hour after shes eaten just incase she does it and babies get to it. Its foul watching them do that :eek: ..

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Eve would do this every meal if I let her. I've known her do it 2 hours after feeding. She usually does this after the pups are around 5 weeks, so I'm not too concerned, except for the fact that she needs her food!

7. mollydolly01

mollydolly01 PetForums Junior

with my last litter she done this as well, but they were around 6 weeks, and yes she can do it 2 hours after feeding as well. have to watch her like a hawk now. Im wondering why she has done it so early this time. I feed her as much as she wants to get her weight back on and i normally fill her bowl before i go to bed, this will have to stop now, as i wont be able to rest incase she does it during the night.

8. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

Maisie did that from when the pups where 5 weeks old right up until they left at 9 weeks, she even did for the puppy I kept until she was about 16 weeks :eek:
    Everytime the pups went for her milk she would just regurgitate weather it was in the pen, front room, kitchen, garden :scared:
    My vet said not to worry she just being a good mum, and recommended that I soaked down maisie's food so there wasn't any large bits for the pups to choke on

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice