Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Regravelled my Boyu tank

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Magic Waves, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Magic Waves

Magic Waves PetForums Member

Sorry i've not been on Wifi lost this end :(

Well not being able to come on, i thought regravel the tank so i went and fetched black and white gravel, removed 40% of water so i could reach, left the heater on but pushed it low and the submerged filter besides the air brick to help my fish cope...i got it out with a cat litter shovel :rolleyes: and vacuumed the base which takes no water out.

It took a full afternoon and evening and night to clear and recleaned my filter system on top the next morning.

I will say this though - NEVER AGAIN :Hilarious

Before

After

magpie and LinznMilly like this.
  2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Aha! I wondered where you'd got to. Welcome back. :D

Tank looks great, well done.

I know from experience that it's a lot of hard work, and I agree - once you change the substrate with fish in situ, you're not in a hurry to do so again. :Hilarious

Magic Waves likes this.
  3. Magic Waves

Nice to be back finally :)

I like the black and white better, good job hubby was their holding the bucket and throwed it on to our gravel matching :Hilarious no there won't be no hurry in the future that i can guarantee :D

4. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

It looks lovely! I'm with you on the substrate changing though, I've done my big tank a couple of times and it is seriously hard work! :D

Magic Waves likes this.
  5. Magic Waves

Magpie you never done it twice :eek: that's why i went for this gravel never again :Hilarious it's the depth of the tank it's sick and if i#d have known you could get 4ft ones but with low depth i would have sooner gone else where and purchased one.

magpie likes this.
  6. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Hahaha! Twice?? I think in the 7ish years that I've had this tank I've changed the substrate maybe 4 times?!! Started with gravel, switched to play sand which turned out to be an enormous pain because it was so lightweight & wafted around the tank, so switched to a more heavyweight black limpopo sand which was great, but then a few years later wanted a lighter colour so switched back to play sand forgetting what a nightmare it was, and so once again switched back to the black limpopo sand. That's it now though I swear! :Hilarious

Magic Waves likes this.
  7. Magic Waves

Now just remember you are swearing on the bible :Hilarious never done sand and i read some right stories with algae build up on it, tried live plants never again omg one died over night and the mess in the water was shocking, had to remove water out besides loads of netting on top, so i like the silk plants but my hubby won't let me remove that yellow false plant at the back and the one at the front..all i get is you need colour in there:rolleyes:

magpie likes this.
  8. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Oh I love my sand, I found that gravel trapped the dirt an awful lot but that is probably because I have such big, waste producing machines for fish! :D
    Silk plants are lovely, I keep trying with live ones though because I am clearly a masochist!

Magic Waves likes this.
  9. Magic Waves

I love the sand and it always looks so stunning, i know that i vacuum mine 3 times a week but on the 3rd gravel everything comes forward and then back :rolleyes: i think it's everyone to their own and what suits them best.

I've not been to pleased though, our tap water severn trent have been working on and the hot tap water 20ppm in nitrate and the cold is 40ppm :Wideyed and last week it rose my tank from 10ppm up to 40 :mad: my hubby knows a lot about fish and he said stop changing the water twice weekly and do it once a week and the 30ml of Aqua safe you use in the middle of the week, just add the 30ml again it's only like doing a water change and adding it again, i have done and it's back to 10 phewwww

magpie likes this.
  10. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Glad you got it sorted, 40ppm out of the tap is horrible! :eek:

Magic Waves likes this.
  11. Magic Waves

I know apparently it's to do with cleaning of the system form the floods etc as the hot only used to be 5 and the cold 10, well now i'm having to do the same with my betta water but i brought myself an extended battery gravel cleaner for the large tank and it also as a small tube i can use on the betta tank, save keep changing the water and just keeping on top of the tanks cleaning otherwise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice