Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Registration papers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Delebrin, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Delebrin

Delebrin PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

I have a lovely four year old male Westie, who I got from from a local KC registered breeder. When I collected him, the breeder mentioned that she was moving across the country to a new house (which I knew of beforehand), and said that she would sort out the registration papers and post them off to me before she moved.

Well, the breeder did move away but I never received the papers! This wasn't too much of a worry to me as I got the dog as a companion and pet, not as a show or stud dog, but recently his 'pedigree' has become more of interest to me, probably due to the fact that he he's quite large for his breed. Both his parents, which I saw, were both large for the breed, although his sister (who was the only other one in the litter) was about the normal size. When I tell people that my dog is a 'pedigree', there is occasionally a reaction that a pedigree dog wouldn't be so large.

So, is there a way to get registration/pedigree papers for the dog? I don't have a forwarding address for the breeder, even if she is still in business. I believe he is mentioned in Kennel Club records (the Breed Supplement), but I'm not to sure how to go about getting documentation from there.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

2. garryd

garryd Guest

i have heard of breeders saying they have not received the papers back from the kc and that they would forward them on :rolleyes:in most cases they dont and have not even got the papers to the dog ! if hes pet dont worry about it ! just put i down to experience and move on !;)

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

it happened to me,,the bloke even let us choose a name,,,,i gave up ringing him and trying to chase them up in the end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

4. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

If you have the registered name of the mother and father and his date of birth, name of breeder and anything else you might know, the Kennel Club may be able to help. Its worth ringing them with this info and asking. :)

5. Brainless

Brainless Guest

they may not be able to give you the breeders address due to data protection, but if it turns out your dog was registered they may be willing to forward a letter that you ask them to forward to the breeder.

Sadly it could well be that he really wasn't registered at all.

If you have his parents and grandparents names someone may know the bloodlines and be able to clarify if big dogs were common within those lines.

You can get the odd over and undersized dog appear in the best bred of litters but the difference should not be too large say and inch or so either way in a breed as small as yours.

6. Delebrin

Delebrin PetForums Newbie

I'm fairly certain that he was registered, as the breeder showed us papers for other dogs her lines, an aspect of breeding which she said she paid meticulous attention to. I'm sure that the intention was there to send the papers, but this may have been lost in all the flurry of moving houses. I'm likely to try the KC to see what they suggest though.

As to his size.. I'm afraid he's a bit more than an inch bigger than a standard sized dog! One of the best responses I've had is that "he's two normal sized Westies welded together, a bit like cut-and-shut". He's certainly a lot larger than a lot that I've met and nearly twice the size of some of the smaller versions.

As I said in my original post, I didn't get him for any other purpose than as a pet; it would just be nice to know a little more about his background.

Thanks for your help.

7. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

I'm sure you've done this but have you googled his pedigree affix - chances are if they are still in the breed they may be on Champdogs or could be on Higham Press if they show - just a thought:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice