UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have registered our puppies now and placed Endorsements on each of them. We only have 2 puppies now as the little male sadly passed at the weekend. Suspected Hydrocephalus. The 2 remaining girls are perfectly fine.

So back on topic, What do you all do? Endorse or not?
We are only selling 1 puppy and at a reasonable price for a French bulldog.

Thing is many people within the breed have not been pleased that I have placed endorsements on my puppies!! Stating that is someone buys the pup they should have the right to breed as it's their dog!?

As some of you know our puppies are quite small and I don't think they would be suitable for breeding and to be honest would prefer a nice pet home for the puppy.

We have a sales contract which does explain the endorsements in detail too.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If they are not happy with your decision to endorse your pups, then they can buy elsewhere :) they are your pups and if you dont want their lines produced elsewhere then that is your choice :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have always endorsed registrations, and explained to people why. They have all been perfectly happy. You do have to make sure you tell prospective purchasers about the endorsements otherwise they can get the KC to remove them without your consent.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes she belonged to my auntie and all documents were changed over. I also arranged to meet the studs owner and explained why I now had Poppy.
He has helped us out a bit with advice ect.

Potential new owners are made clear about the endorsements and we got a sales contract wrote up which also explains this in detail.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
From this and things from your previous threads it appears that those you know 'in the breed' are strange about what they believe to be morally right.

If you want these endorsments it shouldnt matter to them or you. If you think its right what does it matter what they think. If the pup is still very small she should not go to a breeding home and have the endorsements on.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Thing is many people within the breed have not been pleased that I have placed endorsements on my puppies!! Stating that is someone buys the pup they should have the right to breed as it's their dog!?

As some of you know our puppies are quite small and I don't think they would be suitable for breeding and to be honest would prefer a nice pet home for the puppy.

We have a sales contract which does explain the endorsements in detail too.
They are YOUR puppies and you have the right to place whatever endorsements on them you wish - it hs absolutely nothing to do with anyone else.

I endorse all my pups however - puppy buyers do get a signed contract with that (I have a copy as well) stating under what conditions I will lift the endorsements free of charge - this includes certain health-tests being done, and certain results being achieved.

For my dogs, I also look for some degree of success in show, field or similar and insist that dog owners have a mentor and bitch owners work with me to find a suitable sire - I have passed them on to others who have used them with minor adaptations.

I also endorse my keepers - my last litter, I went to register it and only then realised I hadn't removed the endorsements from my bitch - ooops - but I work to the same criteria as I do for the pups I sell.

If you have no intention of ever lifting the endorsements, then you need to be very specific about this to the puppy buyer - for goodness sake make it VERY clear in writing and ensure you keep a copy.

What you also have to remember is that this doesn't stop the pups being bred from - simply that they mustn't be KC registered.

On that basis, personally, I would give thought to under what conditions you would lift the endorsements rather than a blanket no - those conditions MUST be explicit - using any ambiguous wording could land you in lather with the KC if they deem it not to be clear - e.g. - if you say you will lift them for x,y,z tests being done with a,b,c results - then if they meet the criteria you have to lift them.

It does have to be black and white with no avenue for interpretation on it.

Better to work with a puppy owner who might change their mind enabling you to maintain a handle on what happens to your pups and your canine grand-children rather than latterly discovering they have been bred from indiscriminately and you have no control.

Just some things to think about - my conditions for lifting endorsements on bitches are strict - but on dogs, they are considerably stricter - because their potential impact on the gene pool can be much greater than any bitch.

============================

To come back to the first point - they are YOUR pups, you do what YOU feel is right - but hopefully something to think about above

ETA - there is nowt queer as folk - I've had a number of prospective owners say they are interested in breeding - but all have actually gone on to neuter.

But people do change their minds for lots of reasons - and a good relationship with the "childrens parents" is better than an unpleasant one

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have endorsed them and I have a contract which explains in detail the endorsements and conditions it may be lifted, ie pup reaches standard height, weight and of sound temperament, must pass all relevant health tests and no younger that 18 months.
Also states no extra fee will be charged to lift them.

I was interested to see what most people on here would do. Think most responsible breeders would endorse though :)

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Well I have endorsed them and I have a contract which explains in detail the endorsements and conditions it may be lifted, ie pup reaches standard height, weight and of sound temperament, must pass all relevant health tests and no younger that 18 months.
Also states no extra fee will be charged to lift them.

I was interested to see what most people on here would do. Think most responsible breeders would endorse though :)
A lot of good breeders don't, they haven't felt the need to, and until something bad happens to them, they may not change their minds. The breeder I got my two off didn't endorse, because she trusted puppy owners, that is, until someone who hadn't mentioned breeding at all previously, decided she'd breed from her bitch pup without doing all the health tests recommended, last I heard, the litter she'd taken was without a current clear eye test, that's Indie's full sister :(

It's worth knowing as well that endorsements aren't always the same in every country, I believe I'm right in saying that endorsements can't be lifted in the US in the same way they can here, if a pup is endorsed it remains that way for life.

Edited to add, Rhuna isn't endorsed either, because she was due to be exported her breeder didn't want to place restrictions on registering with a foreign KC, however, she knows full well I wouldn't skimp on the health tests, and would want her help all the way *if* I did decide she was worth having a litter from.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I was interested to see what most people on here would do. Think most responsible breeders would endorse though
It's pretty unheard of in working gundogs - even responsible breeders don't endorse.

I believe I'm right in saying that endorsements can't be lifted in the US in the same way they can here, if a pup is endorsed it remains that way for life.
I don't think they have endorsements in US.

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Most show breeders endorse their pups, and most put extra condiitons in their contracts of sale. For example, the breeder of the bergie pup we are going to pick up on Saturday has sent me a copy of the contract she wants us to sign. She has said that endorsements may be lifted after negotiation, subject to certain conditions - one of which is a good hip score. There is a clause in the contract of sale which states that the purchaser must agree to having the pup hip scored under the BVA scheme between 18 and 30 months and notify the breeder with the results.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Most show breeders endorse their pups, and most put extra condiitons in their contracts of sale. For example, the breeder of the bergie pup we are going to pick up on Saturday has sent me a copy of the contract she wants us to sign. She has said that endorsements may be lifted after negotiation, subject to certain conditions - one of which is a good hip score. There is a clause in the contract of sale which states that the purchaser must agree to having the pup hip scored under the BVA scheme between 18 and 30 months and notify the breeder with the results.
Do you need pup hip scored even if you are not going to breed or is it just for breeding?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I put in hips as a choice but elbow, patella, heart, breathing and eyes must be done between 12 months and 30 months with copy of results passed to me.
Prefer elbows as frenchies carry most weight at the front so they really need to be good.

I also put in info sheets about how to go about testing. Such as heart can be done at a boxer show and the french bulldog club of England have discounts throughout the year for eye tests ect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.