UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some advice on this one. I've had Bailey since december and she was on wiskas when she came here. But she would just lick the jelly off. I tried her on bozita and she loved it and would eat it all up! But now she won't touch it. It's bozita pouches... She will only eat her dry food and leaves the wet untouched. I'm starting to think about moving her on to one meal of applaws a day and just dry feeding her. It's got to be better than her not eating wet food.

What do you think?

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Personally, I would try different wet foods before throwing in the towel to feed dry with the occasional wet.

In addition to bozita, you can try HiLife or Feline Fayre (the black pouches are complete) if you want to try other foods that are higher in meat content but chunks in sauce/jelly. Or you could try Cosma (the original fish ones are complete) Animonda Rafine Soupe and Yarrah - all of which are available from zooplus - they also do chunks in gravy. Organic and affordable.

I rotate different brands of foods - that way they don't get bored with makes. That way you are also not completely stuffed if a manufacturer changes the recipes and your cats don't like the new stuff - trust me that happens more often than you think.

The applaws tins contain an ott amount of phosphorus - too much of it impedes the absorption of calcium, which is needed for healthy bones - and personally I would only feed this as a very occasional treat.

Hope that helps

·
Banned
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally prefered using seapets and they didn't seem to have any of these. I used seapets because the delivery was faster and I get my fish stuff from there. If she won't touch the bozita than I will keep those options in mind. I'm going to try I think it might be certain flavors she won't touch.

I do want to stay high in meat content but being a student it's a price issue too. So I am considering natures menu and the pets at home compleate as they are higher in meat content than felix and wiskas which she has had before. I want to try something that I don't need to buy in bulk because if she won't touch it then I don't want to be left with lots of cat food to get rid of like I may very well be now... I have ALOT of bozita left as I buy it in bulk every 6 weeks.

Thank you for your advice :)

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Could very well be certain flavours that she doesn't like. And then to make things even more interesting, they then decide they like the flavour after all only to not eat the flavour they have been eating for a while before :D That's cats for you! They like to keep us on our toes!

Anyhow, I have never had any problems with zooplus. The order tends to arrive within 2 days of ordering. I personally just think that they offer a range of cat food that is better quality and therefore complements what one finds at [email protected] or seapets. Though the fact that they don't offer a trial pack of different foods is well annoying....

·
Banned
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to try and find something I don't have to import before trying zooplus simply because I don't have the money to buy the stuff in bulk for her to turn around and spit it back out. She's basically licking the jelly off the meat. If she doesn't stop doing that I will have to do something. Either stop the dry food or change the wet food :confused: She is a very picky cat but I love her to bits anyway.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
There's a few you can try, hilife, feline fayre, natures menu, pets at home purely range, applaws. Try a bit of raw meat too, chicken chunks, prawns, chicken wings.

Mine are super fussy about wet food too, they seem to get bored after a few month so I keep a few brands in, I currently have applaws, purely, hilife and feline fayre in for them and I just switch between them.

If you like by a b and m or a home bargains they usually have hilife and feline fayre in for about 20p a pouch. The pets at home stuff is regularly on offer, and they often have deals on natures menu too. Sainsburys sell applaws under the name encore, exactly the same stuff but usually a little cheaper, sometimes on offer at 8 tins for £3.

·
Banned
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the thing with her. Her old owner just kept them all on wiskas and felix and never had any problems. But she wouldn't touch it with me. I have 5 weeks worth of cat food in the cuboard! She ate some today but mainly seems to want dry. I put 1 bowl of dry out a day so I'm thinking I should reduce it as she's just scoffing all the dry and not leaving any room for the wet?

I'll try the purly. I'm actually changing to their dry range as it's much cheaper than what I have and still has a high meat content probably more than what she's on. I also might put water in the dry food if she won't take it to up her water intake.

She's been more affectionate, very hyper active but not eating as much as she did. She'll be 1 at the end of this month so I was thinking I'd change her to adult dry anyway.

I've never heard of those shops though.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Cats get most of their water from wet food, once of the reasons a dry only diet isn't a good idea. I doubt putting water in the wat will make her do much besides turn her nose up at it. Well, my cat would anyway lol, no way would they touch soggy dry food. It'll just take time finding a wet food she'll eat.

Adult v kitten food wont make a difference, if you look at the ingredients in adult food, then at the ones in kitten food, you'll see they're almost identical, especially in the decent foods. I fed mine kitten food until she was 1 and a half, but that's because she really is tiny, the adult kibble was too big fore her to handle.

·
Banned
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is small too mainly just fluff. I only really had kitten food because I brought it in bulk and it lasted ages. I'll keep an eye on her and if she won't touch it I'll try natures menu and if she won't eat that I'll try some of the zooplus ones :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.