Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Refusing to go home

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by dingbat22, Nov 23, 2012.

1. dingbat22

dingbat22 PetForums Newbie

My dog is a 2 year old lab x and usually walks nicely on the lead. I would take him to the park or up the downs depending on the weather and let him run off lead. He would always comeback on his recalls which is good. However lately he has become challenging and refuses to walk in the direction I'm going, he would cower and if I tugged the lead he would refuse even more. He attempts to do his own thing such as walking into the rd or the opposite direction. So I used treats to encourage him to move forward. Sometimes it works but others it doesn't. He has started to do this more often after going to the park. He just wants to stay out and play longer. It's now getting to the point where he refuses to cross the rd to our house or refuses to step into the gate outside our house. He still plays indoors, so I don't know why he's suddenly refusing to go home. I don't like using treats to coax him to walk as I feel it's rewarding the behavior. Tugging doesn't really help either as he cowers even more. There are no triggers, he is just eager to stay out.I've tried praising him too, but it doesn't work every time.

Would using anti methods such as spraying water help break him out of the behavior? The stern NO makes him cower and doesn't seem to help the situation.

#1 dingbat22, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. JAChihuahua

JAChihuahua PetForums VIP

Im new and not at all experienced, but from what I have read this is what i see.

recall + lead = hometime = end of outside funtime

when the lead goes on does it mean hometime? i.e. the end of todays romp?

What about changing your habits? recalling and putting lead back on at random times through the walk, so he doesnt associate recall + lead = end of outside playtime.

Going to new places might be a good thing too, as he will be less sure of his surroundings, so perhaps driving to a new place and driving home will help break the habit too.

I'm sorry if I have read this wrongly, or spoken out of turn as I dont have the experience to back this up, its just gut feeling.

3. Corinthian

Corinthian PetForums Member

So your methods don't work. The dog is showing you that you are making him afraid and you refuse to change?

Yes, rewarding behaviors is exactly what you want to do. The dog hasn't been rewarded for a recall and you expect him to do it?

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Avoid the park and do lead walks.

That will break the cycle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice