Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Refusing dry food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jem29, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Our 2 borders are on Royal Canin dry food, have been for a while, before that they were on James Wellbeloved. We changed because they just stopped eating it. That was a while ago but now they are refusing point blank to eat any dry food, so is it worth buying such expensive food? but I feel guilty if they eat rubbish:p

I mix in wet food and still they eat hardly any, but if I were to just give them wet they would eat that no problem.

Last week we just gave dry for 3 days and each time we left it down for 10 minutes they turned their noses up at it and went hungry. One night one of them was wretching and bringing up bile, there was nothing at all in her tummy, so I couldn't do it any longer and gave her wet food without the dry in it.

I spoke to the vet and told him what I had tried and he said to just feed them what they want, but they will only eat wet and to buy that daily will cost me a small fortune.

My other dog just eats Burns dry food and eats it fine. My borders were on just dry until about 4 months or so ago when they just totally refused to eat it.

Arghhh, any advice?

2. rona

rona Guest

Feed Chappie, it's good wet food and cheap

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I agree. Out of all the cheap wet foods, Chappie is probably the better one, and easily digested and seems to be palatable.

I think they do a fish, and a chicken flavour. Mine used to really like it.

4. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

have you tried adding a little water to the dry food?

also have you tried them on green tripe?

5. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

We tried Chappie and they totally refused it. God it stank too, lol!

I try mixing wet up with the dry hoping that they will eat the dry stuff if its mixed up but they hardly touch it and will go hungry, they fish the wet out of it, lol!

No they haven't tried green tripe?

6. rona

rona Guest

If you think Chappie stinks, you'll love the tripe :D

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We have tried everthing to get Amber to eat at times I felt like pulling my hair she just would not eat.

Now I put KALLO "organic very low salt" stock cubes on Amber food.

I feed Amber 3 times a day on Hill's Science, and I use 1/2 a stock cube to 1/2 pint of water and pour some of the stock over the kibble and she loves it.

8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Try mixing a little gravy (not thick) and poor a little over the dry food, if your dog likes fish, try putting a little mackrel in sunflower oil over the food and see if it tempts the dog to eat. most dogs love fish awell as meat. Pets @ homes do a special on 12 tins of Butchers, you could mix some puppy bic's in with this and then try weaning them off and back onto dry slowly. it may work.???????????????

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice