Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Refuses to walk

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Conor Houlihan, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Conor Houlihan

Conor Houlihan PetForums Newbie

Hi there! Hope someone can offer some advise.
    I have a 10 month old golden retriever pup called Ralphie.
    Lately I'm having a issue with him either dragging behind or refusing to walk when out and about.
    The reason he does this is because he needs the toilet.
    When walking out on the Street, he stops I can tell he needs to go. I'll give him plenty of time. Give him the que I taught him(potty). But he still won't go.
    He will occasionally go on grass if it's available but the problem is he won't go on the pavement. I live in quite a built up area, and it's mostly pavement walking routes.
    If he either poops right before we go or we go straight to the park and he does his toilet. He'll walk like an angel. He walk perfectly to heel and illI have no problems.
    I'm not really sure how to teach him to poop on the pavement? Like I said he has done it in the past and I've praised him loads. But he's never ever peed on the pavement.

At home he's fine. He was house potty trained in about a week. Never has any accidents.

Just in case your wondering, he's a fantastic boy. Very well behaved, loves all dogs and people. He's very confident & curious

When he stops and refues to walk, I've tired getting really enthusiastic and when he starts walking rewarding him.
    I've tired pretending that he hasn't stopped and continue walking. But that just makes it worse.

Any ideas?

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

You say you use a cue word for your dog, does he actually associate this with actually going to the toilet?

Timing is everything when teaching a cue word for any behaviour but particularly for toileting as a dog can’t toilet on command if he doesn’t want to go.

Many dogs prefer not to toilet on solid surfaces and will only do it if they have to although male dogs like to wee on lampposts and trees of course. Is your dog not lifting his leg to pee? If not I should imagine that he will be more then happy to pee once he is and it will just be a matter of teaching him to empty his bowels somewhere suitable before you begin your walk.

3. Conor Houlihan

Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah he definitely knows the cue word. As when I ask him to go at home, at the park etc. He does so immediately.
    No he's not lifting his leg yet.
    I've been trying to get him to go before we go for a walk but sometimes, say halfway through the walk, he'll need to go again. (The walk probably gets his bowls moving) He then stop on won't budge. And if there's no grass about I'm just stuck there for ages.

4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Have you tried loosening the lead and letting him choose where to go? Take the pressure off him and just keep the lead very loose allowing him to relax a little - he may then move to a spot he wants to use. Otherwise try scattering food on the ground and encourage him to 'find it' so that you get him unstuck and see if you can move on a bit.

5. Conor Houlihan

Yeah I Keep the lead loose and let him sniff about and try and choose a spot.
    For example, last week I stood and waited for 20 minutes, lead loose. Didn't say anything to him, no pressure etc. There weren't even any distractions around.
    After no poops, I managed to get him home. (After stopping and dragging behind loads) At which point he bolted to the garden to poop straight away.

I have tired throwing food a few feet in front and he might move for a few steps. But he's back dragging behind then.

It's really annoying because he walks absolutely perfect up until he needs the toilet. And then it's such a struggle to get him home.

6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

How far and for how long are you walking him? It’s a little odd that he needs to poo twice in one walk at this age

7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

OK then I'd try the opposite! Keep him walking in nice focused heel work, no sniffing or stopping until you decide and pick a spot, THEN you give him a longer looser lead and cue him to toilet. When in focused heel work he should be in tune with you and focused purely on walking nicely, then you can give him the cue that you are allowing him more freedom and give him a longer lead to sniff and be a dog.
    This is why I have a 2 point attach harness. I can attach the lead to both front and back attachments which means walking nicely focused on me, then I can take the front attachment off and clip only to the back (lead can be short or long) and this to the dog means they are allowed more freedom and can sniff etc.

tabelmabel likes this.
  8. Conor Houlihan

Usually walk him for 20-25 minutes twice day.

9. Conor Houlihan

Thanks for your help!
    Ok - I'll try that.
    I'll try and do a lot more heel training too. As I have to admit I've not been practising with him for a while.
    Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice