UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just come back from a very frustrating walk with my dogs and SIL's dogs.
She has two orange roan cockers and one of them is so b****y lazy!!
My dogs were fine and although I am working on the recall (which went out of the window - teenager stage) for one of them (younger one) and it is getting there. The lazy one decided she didn't want to go any further on the walk and after walking half way round, suddenly decides it's time to turn round and go back! Running off, i had no option but to go after her, curtailing the other dogs' walk. Well, recall with her is not something my SIL has done with her! The dogs have selective hearing.
So, getting back to her house, I was not best pleased with this dog and have made it very clear that I am NOT taking these dogs out again!

Sorry, rant over! All I get is 'but they're very good at heelwork'!! :confused:

Am I right in not wanting to take these dogs out? :(

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Depends why you were walking them - if SiL is unable to for some reason then I would keep walking them but on lead only.
But if it was just because you were going out with yours and they were tagging along then I'd say no as it obviously ruined your walk for you.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I think "I don't want to" is a perfectly valid excuse for not walking someone elses dogs! Unless there is some kind of reciprical arrangement - in which case you should foregoe your side of the bargin. :)

X-post - if the dogs are relying on you for exercise - I do think you should walk them, but on the lead if they have no recall!

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
wow, you let them off lead without knowing if they would recall or not??:eek:
Id be terrified to do that with someone else's dog TBH.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
She has gone away for a few days with her OH and I'm up here looking after MIL as well!

:)
Then yes I would say you have to walk them as it's an agreement you made and the dogs are relying on you for exercise.
Take them out seperate from your dog so not to impact on your own walks together and keep them on lead.
I occasionally look after a friend's dog, although he has a good recall with her I never let him off lead as I can't be 100% sure he'll respond to me.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone - a lesson learnt!:eek:

I will take them out albeit separately and will keep the lazy one on the lead - the other one is fine with her recall.

Replies are much appreciated and I hold my hands up to being away with the fairies regarding this dog!!

:blushing:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I would carry on walking them but keep them on lead. I have a bloody lazy girl who suddenly goes deaf! When she decides she has had enough she will start heading for home. But she is mine and I know her body language so know when she is about to say `I`m going home` so get her back on lead ( I also know she will only go so far before she comes back in a huff ) If any body else was to walk her I would tell them to leave her on a lead.

TBH when I walk anybody elses dogs even my daughters that I know very well I tend to leave them on lead, simply because I don`t feel I can read there body language quite as well as my own dogs and things can happen so very quickly.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would carry on walking them but keep them on lead. I have a bloody lazy girl who suddenly goes deaf! When she decides she has had enough she will start heading for home. But she is mine and I know her body language so know when she is about to say `I`m going home` so get her back on lead ( I also know she will only go so far before she comes back in a huff ) If any body else was to walk her I would tell them to leave her on a lead.

TBH when I walk anybody elses dogs even my daughters that I know very well I tend to leave them on lead, simply because I don`t feel I can read there body language quite as well as my own dogs and things can happen so very quickly.
Too right!! :)

Like everyone has said, have the dog on the lead so will do definitely do this! And yes, I have made the agreement so will stick to it but jeez, running after the dog was my exercise today!! :D

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Too right!! :)

Like everyone has said, have the dog on the lead so will do definitely do this! And yes, I have made the agreement so will stick to it but jeez, running after the dog was my exercise today!! :D
If youy want anymore exercise I'll send you my lot up ;)
I've got a busy day so they need a good run :p

·
Still missing my boys
42,308 Posts
I'd be concerned that "the lazy" one has got medical issues and by making it walk further than it wants to, you may be creating pain or more issues

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If youy want anymore exercise I'll send you my lot up ;)
I've got a busy day so they need a good run :p
Okay - I promise to keep them on the leads!! ;)

Just about to take them out again! It's stopped raining so I'll probably look like the dogs afterwards! :)

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd be concerned that "the lazy" one has got medical issues and by making it walk further than it wants to, you may be creating pain or more issues
My SIL has been to the vet about this and there is nothing wrong with her. This dog has been lazy since SIL has had it.

·
Follow me on @popuppetstop on insta
4,131 Posts
Doesn't sound like a nice walk :( i would just agree with others just keep the other dog on a lead :) :) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.