UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Do you think we should have a referendum on Europe?

• yes, get out

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • No, stay in

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 2.9%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope i get the vote thing to work on this.:D
Ok do you think we should have a referendum on Europe?
Is it time we got out?
Me i'd vote to get asap.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
I know there are supposedly all sorts of good reasons to be in, trade etc bla bla but if simply to stop loads of greedly gravey train politicians getting their snouts in more of our money well thats a damn good enough reason to say out please

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
out out out

if Scotland becomes a republic we are automatically out anyway, ill cry myself to sleep tonite thinking about that :D

If Scotland leaves the Union i still think the rest of the Union should get out, we have disgusting levels of immagration through it!

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have always thought we should never have joined.But the other day i was listening to the radio and it was stated then,that we are lead to believe we need to stay in.But in actual fact,our trade with europe would NOT be affested if we got out.:eek:

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I have always thought we should never have joined.But the other day i was listening to the radio and it was stated then,that we are lead to believe we need to stay in.But in actual fact,our trade with europe would NOT be affested if we got out.:eek:
but think of all those poor MPs who would be denied cushy jobs as MEPs in Brussels, have you no heart??!

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Is it time we got out?
Won't happen, we would face astronomical fines that we couldn't afford and Europe would turn their backs on us... not good for business!

We shouldn't have entered in the first place

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Won't happen, we would face astronomical fines that we couldn't afford and Europe would turn their backs on us... not good for business!

I'd take the fines ion the chin and charge forward.We need so much to look after our country and make out own decisions again.Hell it might get tough,but we only have ourselves to blame.Chin up and best foot forward,and all that stuff.;):D:D

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Is it time we got out?
I would not only get out of Europe, I would dismantle the bloody Channel tunnel and send us back to the little, but powerful, island we always were. The only countries we have been to war with, apart from the war of independence, are European ones. What a pity we wasted all that blood defending our country when we could have just handed it over.

Sorry, I get a bit worked up about the whole subject. We have fallen out with America over Europe, and they were much more solid allies. They actually like the English, which is more than can be said for Europe, and it wasn't costing anything being friends with them.

Trouble is, I don't believe a referendum would be held to if it didn't agree with what the government wants. I don't know if anyone else remembers, but we had a referendum as to whether or not to abolish hanging, and we were promised it would be a life sentence instead. I could count on one hand the number of convictions that have upheld that promise.

They will do what they damned well like no matter what we think.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

fine us for what? Europe cant turn their backs on us completely, entirely or forever.

·
Super Moderator
18,773 Posts
I voted to leave but it would depend on what consequences we'd face pulling out.

For one thing it would mean no more Eurovision surely????? That's a vote winner on its own :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,669 Posts
Getting out of the EU is a terrible idea. Yes, things are bad now financially, but if the UK pulls out, the countries within the EU will struggle. Also, the UK will be dealt a severe financial blow because most of what we buy cheap comes through the Free Market and Single Currency legislations the EU upholds. Furthermore, these "immigrants" are the people that are actually keeping the UK going because too many people are jumping on the dole - they don't see that they should be doing menial jobs like cleaning, it's beneath them, yet they're happy enough to sit on the ar$e taking money off the state :rolleyes:

A final point to consider is this - did you ever wonder that DC might want out of the EU because the EU is forcing more transparency in banking systems and politicians' money use? :sneaky2:

Reactions: WriterC

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have always thought we should never have joined.But the other day i was listening to the radio and it was stated then,that we are lead to believe we need to stay in.But in actual fact,our trade with europe would NOT be affested if we got out
Who was talking Daniel Hannan or Nigel Farage by any chance?:D Normally they make the case that Norway and Switzerland are outside the EU but get all the benefits of free trade area. What they neglect to say (by accident or by purpose) is that both these countries have to impliment quite a big chunk of EU laws in order to have the privilege of being part of the free trade area.

To be honest though anyone who knows anything about the EU could of told you what it was going to be like before entering. Even when it was dressed up as the common market in 1975 it was kind of obvious. The EU came about under the belief that only closer integration could prevent another war. Hence why the first thing to be created was the European Coal and Steel Community which was at the time the means for creating weapons.

At it's foundation there was a belief that integration could not stop and only once we reached a federal Europe could there be a guarantee that there would never be a war in Europe again. It's not something which is hidden those who founded the EU always had the superstate idea in their mind. In fact Jean Monnet (one of the founders) once said (and this is a quote many anti-EU people love to use) that "the countries of Europe are too small to guarantee their peoples the necessary prosperity and social development. The European states must constitute themselves into a federation."

So in essence the ultimate aim of the EU has always been further integration there was no intention to stop integration. One slight snag in their plan though in that they did not foresee the crisis that the Euro would get itself in despite the numerous people who have prophesied this exact scenario. On one hand you have the German's who have actually profited from an artificially low Euro now complaining about the Southern countries which can not keep to their deficit reduction targets. In the South you have now have major resentment towards Germany due to how bad it has got there. I mean in Greece pharmacies no longer have money to get drugs, homeless is increasing rapidly and diseases such as HIV are spreading rapidly due to the fact that harm reduction programmes have now ceased to exist.

The deficit is actually rising and because the Greek people (the ones who are rich have already left the country) are losing their jobs the tax income is falling. So the target that the 'Troika' has set Greece is completely unrealistic in fact the only way for Greece to pay back their creditors is through devaluing the currency which due to the nature of the EU is impossible.

This is quite funny because the biggest losers to a Greek default will be the very countries who are the leaders in imposing these harsh reduction plans IE Germany and France. So it's going to be interesting so far Europe as a whole has just kicked the can further down the line for a few more months.

So sorry for my digression but I swear I have a point and that is this the EU will not continue like this. Europe is going to continue integrating especially the Euro area as they now realise that further political integration and scrutiny is the only way to avert another Euro crisis(if it survives). The UK as it stands has a love hate relationship with Europe France despise us because they are all for EU integration it is why de Gaulle vetoed our membership despite us giving him a safe place to stay during the war:001_tt2:. Germany on the other hand see us as a balancing country we balance out France.

That ofcourse is changing and in the end we may not need to wait long before leaving the EU. We are basically holding EU integration back and the likes of Germany and France are going to become impatient. I think in a matter of years we will have a referendum and to me after witnessing first hand the bureaucratic mess that is the EU I can't wait for it. I often like to compare the EU to the Vogon species from The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. Still can't tell the difference both like spending large amounts of time filling in papers instead of action:D.

As for what course the UK should take well I think we should look towards commonwealth countries we've long ignored them despite the rising power these countries are. At one stage there was some talk of us joining NAFTA now at least that's a proper free trade agreement. In all honesty though we need to look further Eastwards work out what they need and make it. If we have nothing to offer then we are screwed in the long term.

Sorry for the long post not my fault lol:eek:

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Dont worry there are lots of people on the mainland of Europe who would love to see the UK out of the EU ..
Note; you cant leave Europe, its a continent and unless you intend to set sail and naff off then you will geographically remain part of the continent of Europe...:001_tt2:

What gets me about the whole debate is those who shout about leaving the EU and then dont mind nipping over for cheap **** and booze or lately jumping NHS waiting lists by having surgury in Belgium. I also notice that when things dont go their way some people are very quick to call on the European court of human rights in order to get what they want.

If the UK wants out then so be it but understand out is out, no half measures...I think the UK would miss the EU before they would miss the UK...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.