Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reed diffusers- are they dangerous?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Samantha Chadwick, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Samantha Chadwick

Samantha Chadwick PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone!
    My first post here so I’m brand new,
    I’ve just been given a few reed diffusers this Christmas and plug ins. Just wondering if any are dangerous for my two kitties?
    Is there like a list of all the dangerous ones or is there a general keep away rule?
    My kitties are my everything and I’d rather a stinky house than them ever be poorly!

I’d love some advice,
    Thank you!

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I don't use diffusers, aerosols, candles etc. as I have asthma and my house doesn't smell.

So called essential oils should be avoided as cats can't metabolise them

kimthecat and lorilu like this.
  3. Samantha Chadwick

I’ve been assured by the companies that I have candles from that my cats will come to no harm from them, 5 years down the line and that has been perfect.
    However I’ve never braved plug ins or diffusers, but since I’ve been bought some I thought I’d ask incase I was just being over cautious!
    thank you for your advice, I was of course joking when I was stating “stinky house”. I forget sometimes people don’t translate well over the internet haha.

4. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

I use reed diffusers but limit them to the bathrooms. I love candles but limit when I use them to when we have visitors or a special film night.

Our house is fairly big and I think if the cats didn’t like the aromas they could and would avoid it but they don’t seem bothered at all.

I’ve never used a plugins as they seem a bit more pervasive. I’ve got a friend who uses them and the strength of perfume in her house seems too much it almost catches your throat.

ewelsh and Samantha Chadwick like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I wouldn't use anything. A cat can't tell you if something is bothering her breathing or sense of smell. And you can't tell what cumulative effect any of this stuff has. Just because a cat doesn't "seem to have a problem" with them, doesn't mean the cat is not being affected.

If odors in the home are a problem put out saucers of plain white vinegar. Open a window now and then. Keep the litter boxes clean. Don't add more pollutants. :)

chillminx likes this.
  6. Samantha Chadwick

that’s an idea! I might just keep it in the bathroom and porch :)
    We also limit our candle use, mostly because we like to save them for people coming round otherwise we’d go through them like there is no tomorrow haha.
    That’s true, they could also avoid it at our house. thank you for your help!

7. Samantha Chadwick

As I said earlier, I was joking... smells is definitely not a problem in our home it’s a brand newly done house so everything is fresh, the only thing we have is litter and that is changed every day.

I also stated above that I don’t use candles because “they don’t seem to have a problem” I use the candles I have checked with the companies that they’re pet safe and ok. My cats also have regular vet check ups and are very healthy. I wouldn’t do anything to put them at risk, exactly why I posted this to research before using a product to ensure it won’t hurt them.
    But thank you for your advise :)

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

If your house doesn't smell why do you feel the need to fill it with pollutants? No one knows the long term detrimental effects of these things.

Things to keep in mind:

A cat could develop a disease later in life that no one will think to attribute to the use of these potential toxins in the home.

Anything that goes into the air of your home your cat is breathing with his or her tiny lungs.

Any droplets or mists or smoke residues will land on the fur, the cat will ingest it when washing.

9. Samantha Chadwick

Sometimes I just like to walk in my kitchen and smell something different ‍♀️ I really don’t have to justify why I like using them, I just do. I love candles they make my home feel cosy and smell good!
    I understand that, that’s why I thought I’d check with the cat community about what we can and can’t use.
    Everyone has a differing opinion it seems haha

Summercat and Citruspips like this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Perfumed candles can smell good in the home without needing to burn them. A friend of mine has them all round her home, but never lights them and her home smells lovely! :) I have to avoid anything perfumed in the home as I have asthma myself - but I open the windows every day LOL. :)

11. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I mentioned this on another thread, I use a hotplate and put some water and clove bud in a pot and let that simmer for a few hours. It smells good, cloves 'clean' the air, and as far as I know it's not toxic to anything other than germs :) Obviously you would keep the cat away from the pot with the clove water in it though!

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

That's a good idea @O2.0 - I might try it - I like the smell of cloves. Thanks. ;)

ewelsh and O2.0 like this.
  13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I don't know how true or scientific this is, but I've read that cloves are antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal and that boiling them like this is supposed to be good to 'clean' the air in the house especially during cold and flu season.
    I also cook with a lot of garlic and onion, so sometimes the cloves are just to kill the garlic/onion smell in the house LOL! Either way, at least we're safe from vampires :D

ewelsh and chillminx like this.
  14. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

And from me - can't stand any of that lot ;) Cloves always remind me of a bad experience at the dentist...

ewelsh and lorilu like this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Me too! :D

16. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I have to say that my cat likes a candle flame. I only ever have one in my bedroom and I don’t leave it unattended. I have noticed a few times that she seems to enjoy looking at the flame.

I have a reed diffuser but it is up high out of reach. My bedroom window is open most nights but the one thing I don’t use is aerosol air freshener

Summercat likes this.
  17. scatatonic

scatatonic PetForums Member

I have the febreze pet odour plug in the room with the cat litter tray... He clearly hates it because whenever he goes close he squints and sniffs with a clear look of disgust... I'm assuming something that advertises itself as eliminating pet odour isn't actually designed to eliminate pets though... I ditched everything else though.. used to have oil diffusers everywhere...

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Those Febreze plug-ins smell horrible and contain nasty chemicals. A friend of mine has one in her house as she has 2 dogs. I am not surprised your cat hates it! I would worry it would put him off using his trays seeing as it is in the same room as his trays. ;)

buffie and lorilu like this.
  19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh please take it out. How unfair for him to have to smell that every time he needs to toilet. It could very well lead to problems, as I see chillminx has already suggested.

buffie and chillminx like this.
  20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Here's a list of the ingredients in the Febreze products (including the plug-ins) . Probably not every one of these ingredients is in every type of Febreze product, but there are enough chemicals here to to stop an elephant in its tracks let alone a bad smell!

• ALPHA-N-METHYL IONONE
    • AMYL SALICYLATE
    • ANISALDEHYDE
    • BENZOIC ACID, 2,4-DIHYDROXY-3,6-DIMETHYL-, METHYL ESTER
    • BENZYL ACETATE
    • BENZYL SALICYLATE
    • BETA-CARYOPHYLLENE
    • BICYCLO[2.2.1]HEPTAN-2-OL, 1,3,3-TRIMETHYL-
    • BICYCLO[2.2.1]HEPTAN-2-OL, 1,7,7-TRIMETHYL-, (1R,2R,4R)-REL-
    • BICYCLO[3.1.1]HEPT-2-ENE-2-PROPANAL, ALPHA,ALPHA,6,6-TETRAMETHYL-
    • METHYL BENZOATE
    • METHYL DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE
    • METHYLBENZYL ACETATE
    • NAPHTHALENE, 2-METHOXY-
    • NONANAL
    • OCTANAL
    • PENTAMETHYLHEPTENONE
    • PHENETHYL ALCOHOL
    • PHENOL, 2-METHOXY-, REACTION PRODUCTS WITH 2,2-DIMETHYL-3-METHYLENEBICYCLO[2.2.1]HEPTANE, HYDROGENATED
    • 1-HEXANOL, 3,5,5-TRIMETHYL-, 1-ACETATE
    • 1H-INDENE-AR-PROPANAL, 2,3-DIHYDRO-1,1-DIMETHYL-
    • 1-PENTEN-3-ONE, 1-(2,6,6-TRIMETHYL-1-CYCLOHEXEN-1-YL)-
    • 2,6-DIMETHYL-7-OCTEN-2-OL
    • 2-ACETONAPHTHONE
    • 2H-2,4A-METHANONAPHTHALEN-8(5H)-ONE, 1,3,4,6,7,8A-HEXAHYDRO-1,1,5,5-TETRAMETHYL-
    • 2-NONYNOIC ACID, METHYL ESTER
    • 3A,4,5,6,7,7A-HEXAHYDRO-4,7-METHANO-1H-INDENYL ACETATE
    • 3-HEXENOL
    • 3-OCTANOL, 3,7-DIMETHYL-
    • 4-PENTEN-1-ONE, 1-(5,5-DIMETHYL-1-CYCLOHEXEN-1-YL)-
    • 4-TERPINEOL
    • 4-TERT-BUTYLCYCLOHEXYL ACETATE
    • 5-OXATRICYCLO[8.2.0.04,6]DODECANE, 4,12,12-TRIMETHYL-9-METHYLENE-, (1R,4R,6R,10S)-
    • 6-OCTENENITRILE, 3,7-DIMETHYL-
    • ACETOPHENONE
    • DIMETHYL HEPTENAL
    • DIMETHYL-3-CYCLOHEXENE-1-CARBALDEHYDE
    • DIPHENYL ETHER
    • DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL
    • ETHANONE, 1-(3-METHYL-2-BENZOFURANYL)-
    • ETHYL 2,2-DIMETHYLHYDROCINNAMAL
    • ETHYL TRIMETHYLCYCLOPENTENE BUTENOL
    • ETHYLENE BRASSYLATE
    • EUCALYPTOL
    • BORNEOL
    • BUTANOIC ACID, 2-METHYL-, ETHYL ESTER
    • CAMPHENE
    • CAMPHOR
    • CARBONIC ACID, 4-CYCLOOCTEN-1-YL METHYL ESTER
    • CITRONELLOL
    • CITRONELLYL ACETATE
    • COUMARIN
    • CYCLOHEXANOL, 1-METHYL-4-(1-METHYLETHENYL)-
    • CYCLOHEXANOL, 3,3,5-TRIMETHYL-, 1-ACETATE
    • DECANAL
    • DIHYDRO PENTAMETHYLINDANONE
    • EUCALYPTUS GLOBULUS LEAF EXTRACT
    • EUGENOL
    • GERANIOL
    • HEPTANOIC ACID, 2-PROPEN-1-YL ESTER
    • HEXENYL ACETATE
    • HYDROXYCITRONELLAL
    • INDENO[1,2-D]-1,3-DIOXIN, 4,4A,5,9B-TETRAHYDRO-2,4-DIMETHYL-
    • ISOAMYL ACETATE
    • ISOAMYL ALLYLGLYCOLATE
    • ISOBORNYL ACETATE
    • ISOBUTENYL METHYLTETRAHYDROPYRAN
    • ISOBUTYL METHYL TETRAHYDROPYRANOL
    • LAVANDULA HYBRIDA OIL
    • LIMONENE
    • LINALOOL
    • LINALYL ACETATE
    • METHYL ANTHRANILATE
    • P-MENTHAN-7-OL
    • POGOSTEMON CABLIN OIL
    • PPG-2 METHYL ETHER

Summercat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice