Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Red Squirrels

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mike Hyde, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Mike Hyde

Mike Hyde PetForums Newbie

I would like to Buy 3-5 breading Pairs of Red Squirrels to populate the Island of Sark where currently there are No Squirrels. This would add to the Islands appeal to Tourists and provide a super habitat for the Red Squirrels.
    I will be getting any permissions which are needed in advance.
    Can any on put me in touch with a seller ?

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I pretty certain you can’t just buy red squirrels as they’re a protected species.

They are already breeding programmes to realise red squirrels back into the wild and the places for release are carefully selected and the squirrels to be bred are also carefully selected...

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

:Jawdrop No way can you buy a protected animal, releasing and breeding are only done by conservationists in special environments the public aren't told where they are, they aren't a tourist attraction.

#3 Happy Paws2, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  4. Mike Hyde

Mike Hyde PetForums Newbie

Are there any conservationists who would Visit the Island of Sark to see if it was a suitable place to release some breading pairs into the Wild?

5. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

I do know the Red Squirrel population is under threat of being wiped out here in the UK so with this in mind you may find it impossible to actually obtain 3 to 5 breading pairs.

You might want to contact Scottish Squirrel Group or the Red Squirrel Northern England project (RSNE) for advice.

You might want to see if there are any Squirrel projects on any of the Channel Islands as I found this news article (I don't know if it is of any use): https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/...anders-to-help-local-red-squirrel-population/

Teddy-dog likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice