Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Red Mite

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by fuzzymum, Mar 25, 2011.

1. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

Anybody have any ideas on how to get rid of red mite in avairies? Asking on behalf of someone else, any suggestions welcome!! xx

2. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

If red mite get a hold in aviary it can be a major problem.The birds can be protected by the use of Ivermectin which destroys the breeding cycle of the mite on the birds.This however doesn't rid you of the mites which live in nooks and crannies of the aviary...and will attack chicks often resulting in death.

If it is an aviary environment,all perches ,nestboxes and foliage should be burned.There are many proprietary mite sprays on the market but they are not cheap.If a large area is to be treated I would buy anti mite chemicals from a poultry website where the price is much lower.

Have a read up on Diatomaceous earth too...that kills them.

3. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

if the avaiary has felt on the roof. they may have to lift it.. this is a great enviroment for the red mites

4. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

Thanks for that, they are little buggers! already taken all birds out and treated them, sprayed avairy and changed everything! damn wooden avairies x

5. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I had banks of metal breeding cages.They still found plenty of crannies to hide in.Being metal though I was able to blowlamp all the joints.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice