Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Red meat too strong?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Leena, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Leena

Leena PetForums Member

I have a Somali cat, Rolli, who has a delicate tummy. He throws up his food every once in a while, but I have started buying grass in a pot for our cats during the winter, and this has eased. He sure throws us a bit still, but now it is mostly grass and hair, which is as it should be.

But I have noticed that when we give him red meat he throws up much more often than when we give him chicken. Is this normal?

Also if I give him normal dry food, he throws up if he has just eaten (chicken) meat. If I give dry food meant for sensitive cats, this barely happens.

Has anyone else noticed that certain kinds of meat are too strong for a delicate-tummy-cat? (And the meat has been fresh, I never feed the cats anything non-fresh)

And could it be he trows up because he is such a quick eater? Doesn't chew properly, I mean. In too much of a hurry to try to steal stuff from the other cats' bowls LOL :D (I have to keep guard while they eat).

Leena :)

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hmm, could simply be that he is gobbling the food down too quickly (red meat and dry food) and as a result is sick. Is he typically sick just after eating or a bit later. Could be that he is not good with certain types of red meat (is he better or worse on lamb vs beef e.g)?

When you say that they get fresh meat, when you talk about the wet food he is getting and the red vs poultry meat, do you mean raw food or tinned wet food?

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen PetForums Member

I would think he's eating to fast. Chicken meat is quite easy and tender... it has a soft consistency while both red meat and dry food isn't. I've never had any cats puke on raw meat though.

4. Leena

Leena PetForums Member

I've also begun to think it probably is eating too fast... As the vomiting happens pretty soon after eating. And he doesn't seem to be sick otherwise. We tried cutting the meat into small bits (to see if he would digest them better) and then giving them as bigger bits (to slow down his eating). Doesn't work with red meat, but I've noticed that if we make the chicken bits too small, he can eat them even faster and may vomit then. Bigger chunks take more chewing, and the food stays in stomach.

We have tried different kinds of fresh red meat, all with the same results. Rolli doesn't seem to mind the vomiting part - he is all eager to gobble down red meat the next time it is offered.

And I also give our cats daily a little dry food and then a little wet food from a tin / bag.

I never leave dry food out "in the open" for the cats anymore - I mean for them to eat at will. If you wish to read what Rolli wrote about the time I made that mistake for the first and last time:

Diary of a Cat - Cat Food Disaster

(Rolli "writes" a diary on my website about life as it should be - from a cat's perspective)

Leena :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice