Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Red honey gourami

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Sam1883, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Sam1883

Sam1883 PetForums Newbie

So my Gourami was attacked by another fish today.....half his tail and fin are missing . I have taken the other fish back to the shop, and I have put the injured fish in a separate space away from the others. He seems to be just laying on his side. Whenever he trys to swim he cant seem to stay straight......he looks like he has now turned a shade of black on his head and back......is there anything else I can do to give him a fair chance of survival????

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Poor fishy :(

The very best thing you can do is make sure the water is pristine - not even a trace of ammonia or nitrite. Test with a liquid test kit such as the API master kit. If any ammonia and/or nitrite is detected, do a 50% water change and dose with Seachem Prime to detoxify the toxins.

Melafix is often used to promote wound healing, but I'm not sure if it's safe to use with gouramis as I have a feeling it affects their labyrinth organ - don't know if anyone else can advise here?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice