Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

red Gordon Setters...

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by leashedForLife, May 25, 2010.

1. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

So is there such a thing as a Red Gordon Setter? I thought it was Gordon Setters and Irish Setters but it looked like both in the litter?...Jill

2. leashedForLife

hey, jill! :--)

Gordon Setter - Dog Pictures

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Didn't know you could get red ones. They're lovely :)

4. leashedForLife

also
    American Kennel Club - Gordon Setter

notice that they write TWICE under color, that the red, tan or buff dogs are ineligible to show, but then they add,
    and UNdesirable for breeding - :rolleyes: essentially underlining the distaste for the non-standard.

Gordons were believed to be one root of the red-Irish, which was originally RED + WHITE - not solid-red.
    i think it is a great pity that the *sleet* coat-pattern in Red-and-White Setters has disappeared - it was speckles of white,
    like the ticked coat-pattern of an English, which is red on white -
    but in the SLEET Red-and-White Setters, it was white speckles on rich red.

personally, as the need to preserve diversity in our dogs is becoming critical, i think they should recognize other colors;
    the recessive-red and occasional solid-blacks of early Gordons were the root of the eventual Flat-Coat
    + also the Golden Retriever - a yellow Flattie does not look like a Golden, except in color.

similarly, a red Gordon does not resemble a red-blonde Golden, nor a red Irish -
    as pups they all look similar, but so does an English Mastiff + a fawn Pug-puppy with a mask.
    as adults, they look like their various breeds - just in non-standard colors.

cheers,
    --- terry

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Mmm I understand there need to be standards in breeds but I hate when they outright ban certain colours from showing etc.

Reds might be a genetic throwback but they're not diseased and they are beautiful :)

6. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Thanks Terry that was most interesting....Jill

7. leashedForLife

Gordon Setter Puppies Breeders Setters

8. leashedForLife

an excellent + wide-ranging article on Setters, from the early period in Scotland, Britain + Ireland,
    to the USA and up to the modern day.
    Today's Red Setter

notice that the early-Setters were not infrequently interbred, and the NEW (or at least more recent) hunting-line
    of Red-Setters in the Field-Dog Studbook of the USA are English x Irish, and are simply called **Red Setters** --
    one of Bosers dogs, Bearcat, has achieved a truly phenomenal 158 field-trial placements - his son Desperado was competing
    against his sire in many trials, and as a result, only has 120 - so far ;) the elder dog beat his son a number of times.

9. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Just a chance to show off my darlings - here are some pics of my Irish Red and White Setters.

They are still a vulnerable breed, which I think is a crying shame. They were almost lost when people began to favour the full red coat.
    The coat should have no ticking though - it should be patches of red on a pearly white background.

Attached Files:

10. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Wow, very nice. Personally I always like an unusal colour/patterns to a breed for me I find it far more attractive :lol:

11. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Wow never seen that before I bet they are stunning when they are older I do love the setter especially the gordons and red is my fav colour on a dog :thumbup:

12. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Some of the original Gordon Setters were black, white and tan tri-colours - I wonder if this colour stll exists within the breed?

13. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

oh wow, ive never seen a red Gordon Setter,

'mon the Scots breeds lol :thumbup:

14. leashedForLife

1885 painting -
    James Hardy Jr. - Pointer & Irish Setter and Gordon Setter - 1885 by James Hardy Jr. in Gordon Setter Canine Fine Art Dog Gifts Giftware Portraits Prints & Canvas Painting Reproductions
    Irish Setter to left - note a blaze splits her face + a ticked white foreface;
    Gordon in the rear; liver + white Pointer on right;
    the days bag (take) in the extreme right: a hare, mallard, partridge, woodcock and a ? snipe? -
    the black-green bird with a red dash on a small head is a capercaillie.

James Hardy - Waiting For Master - Setters by James Hardy Jr. in James Hardy Canine & Dog Fine Art Paintings Engravings & Prints
    the same Irish-bitch, or a very similar one; she appears to be coupled to the M-Gordon;
    the English Setter is lying to the right.

1881 - James Hardy Jr. - The End of the Day With English and Gordon Setters 1881 by James Hardy Jr. in English Setter Canine Fine Art Dog Gifts Giftware Portraits Prints & Canvas Painting Reproductions
    English to the rear, Gordon before, lots of game... and what appears to be a New Forest pony.

James Hardy Jr. - Loading Up 1877 - Original Size 29x44 by James Hardy Jr. in James Hardy Canine & Dog Fine Art Paintings Engravings & Prints
    a finer pony, maybe a Welsh - black bay, white sox, white star;
    English Pointer + Setter, + a Gordon.

James Hardy Jr. - A Good Days Hunting 1883 - Approximate Original Size - 14x12 - Sporting Equine Canine Paintings Prints Art Artist by James Hardy Jr. in James Hardy Canine & Dog Fine Art Paintings Engravings & Prints
    a different Irish Setter, still with a speckled blaze, but a small nose-ring rather than a ticked white foreface;
    and a handsome Gordon in standard B+T

i can only see 2 dogs here, despite the title -
    James Hardy Jr. - Gordon English and Red and White Setters - The Days Catch 1883 - Approximate Original Size - 12x17 - Sporting Equine Canine Paintings Prints Art Artist by James Hardy Jr. in English Setter Canine Fine Art Dog Gifts Giftware Portrait

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice