Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Red cat liquid vomit

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by slw, Oct 21, 2020.

1. slw

slw PetForums Senior

More drama and worry here!

Parker vomited this morning after eating a little breakfast - (Gourmet nature’s Creations tuna garnished with rice and tomato).

It was mainly liquid with a little cat meat in. As I wiped it up with kitchen roll, it was a red colour. I wondered if the tiny amount of tomato could have stained his liquid vomit red?! I will try and attach a photo.

He drank some water afterwards and seems okay in himself, though looking a little upset since being sick, as I suppose you would.

I’ve rang the vets and emailed photos across of the food tin, food and kitchen roll with red liquid stain on. They said they would come back to me this afternoon. I will ring if he’s sick again or seems unwell.

To say I’m worried is an understatement!
    Do you think it could be the tomato that made his vomit red?! Or was it blood?!

Attached Files:

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

The food doesn't look capable, colour wise, of being responsible for that colour vomit. I don't think anyway, from what I can see from the photos

3. slw

slw PetForums Senior

Hi.
    Thanks for your reply.

I’ve ruled out the tomatoes in the food now too - it was just an initial thought.

He went out and ate some grass just a moment ago and was sick afterwards - just the fresh grass and pink/red tinged liquid.

I’ve rung the vets again and they said if he’s sick again before 12, with pink/red liquid then he needs to be seen today.

4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@slw
    How is Parker now?

5. slw

slw PetForums Senior

Hi

He’s eaten 2 sachets of food (different food!) and not been sick again. He seems okay in himself, though a bit miffed that he can’t go out.

He usually sleeps most of the day and goes out for a few hours at night.

Really don’t know why his vomit was diluted red liquid. The student nurse said (over the phone) that if there’s some irritation in the oesophagus, then it could cause red/pink tinged vomit.

My mind has been going into overdrive and remembered that the farmer was spraying the fields around us yesterday, so then worried he had something on his paws or ate some grass they had sprayed. The vet nurse didn’t seem concerned though, unless he was sick again or appeared unwell.

I also thought he may have drank some manky water from a tub full of the children’s random findings ( broken pottery, horse shoes ....) that were in a plastic tub. I have no idea if he had drank it or not though!

I’ve just had to come for a hospital appointment, so will see how he is when I get home.

Thank you for asking about him. X

6. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@slw
    I am glad he is doing better. I am not sure either what may have caused it, hope no reoccurrence.
    Xx

slw likes this.
  7. slw

slw PetForums Senior

Thank you.

Just realised how awful and unclear the thread name sounds! I was rushing and obviously didn’t word it very well.

Oh well, hopefully people get the gist...:rolleyes:

gskinner123 and Summercat like this.
  8. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

How are things today @slw?

9. slw

slw PetForums Senior

Hi

He seems okay, thanks. Eating normally and no more vomit.

Really don’t know what could have caused it yesterday! It’s a mystery!

Still keeping a close eye on him. Kept him in last night, but he was asking to go out this morning, so I let him out to go to the toilet. He been asleep most of the day and just gone out into the sunshine now. X

gskinner123 likes this.
  10. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@slw
    That's really good, I am happy to hear :)

11. slw

slw PetForums Senior

The student nurse at the vets didn’t sound particularly concerned yesterday, though it did worry me, as it was assumed that it was diluted blood in his vomit.

12. Berry_Cat

Berry_Cat PetForums Junior

Chica has had that a couple of times. Vet didn't seem concerned. He said she might have something lodged in her throat that caused some blood and the force of vomiting made it worse. They did eventually diagnose IBD a few months later but she wasn't vomiting red liquid then.

13. slw

slw PetForums Senior

Thank you for your message berry cat.

Thats basically what my vet said as well. She always asked if his worming was up to date, which it is and I’m due to work him about now, so he’s going to have that today.

Sorry to hear Chica has IBD. Do you mind me asking what the symptoms are for that please?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice