Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Red bumps on puppy's belly?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stephh, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Stephh

Stephh PetForums Newbie

I have a 4 month old springer spaniel. He's up to date on all his shots expect he needs to get his rabies shot within the next few weeks. Lately I've been noticing his biting and licking at his "area" and around his stomach. Upon further inspection I noticed that his area is pinkish in color and there's little red bumps kind of resembling pimples. It's extremely sore to the touch and he's constantly biting, growling and whining at it. I suspected that it might just be a rash and I've been gently cleaning it with a cold rag, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Any suggestions on home remedies? Or do you think this is a matter for the vet? Or any idea of what it could be?

2. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I would say this requires a vet visit. It could be a number of things from allergies to a staph infection to bug bites. Best to get it looked at on such a young pup.

All the best for a speedy recovery!

3. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome.
    If it were me, I would take him to the vets for a check over. :)

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Definitely go to the vet. It could be an allergy but it could be mange.

5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

Fleas, lice, insect bites, allergies, urine rash... could be anything. I`d start with flea treatments, personally, but from the vet as he`s so young.

6. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

Sounds like an an allergy. Look at what your feeding him. The usual dog allergens are cereals that includes rice and oats but these are two better grains then wheat or maize.

Look for a food with only one meat source too. I recommend burgess superdog salmon and rice. Its hypoallergenic.

BUT it could also be scabies (mange)

If your dog was older I would recommend a sulfar shampoo but you will need to ask your vets about that im afraid.

Other then looking at what your feeding. Getting him to a vet is a must.
    My dog has this too! The vet put him on antihistamines while he took blood tests and skin scrapings. Plus a food elimination diet.

We think we have narrowed it down to tripe and duck allergys. the skin scrapings came back clear for mites

7. Pinktoxicalien

Pinktoxicalien PetForums Member

sounds like a typical case of puppy acne

8. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

I've just noticed a little rash type patch on Runa's tum!

It doesn't look angry or itchy, I've seen her fuss her over it? It's not like spots either.

Sorry it's not great! She wouldn't stat still!
    Excuse her lady bits :p

[​IMG]

#8 sezeelson, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  9. Ann Elizabeth

Ann Elizabeth PetForums Senior

Hi my ESS puppy is 4 months old and she started with a rash that she was licking and biting, I realised that when let out in the garden because the grass was wet she was urinating on the path and when she squats to wee she is quite close to the ground and urine splashes back up at her tummy, I washed the area each time she'd been and applied a small amount of sudocreme after a couple of days she's been fine and seen as we've had little rain the last week there hasn't been any reoccurrence. :D
    Might be worth a try but would also say if in doubt contact your vet its not worth any risk with a puppy and if Shoki's hadn't improved in 24hrs I would have been straight up to the vets.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice