Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recycling

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, Jun 24, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

What recycling does your council pick up from your doorstep?
    Ours does paper cans and plastics and garden waste
    Cardboard and glass has to go to the local recycling points.
    Do you think that they should do more?

2. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

Ours is a green wheelie bin for garden and then blue is for things like plastic or paper but thats all they get off us the rest we have to do ourselves

3. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

Our council has just improved their service- we now get paper, card, plastic bottles, glass, cans, textiles, food waste & garden waste collected on every week and then a wheelie bin for other stuff that's collected fortnightly- ours is never more than a quarter full! The only things we recycle ourselves are juice cartons that we take to sainsburys every 3/4 months. I think our new system is really good but there has been lots of moaning from other people round here about it.

4. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

Our council lifts paper and cans/glass and garden waste, the rest we have to take to the recycling point. Our recycling bins are always full, maybe that's because we drink too many bottles of Bud! ;)

5. Opheliac

Opheliac PetForums Member

Ours takes paper, card, plastic, glass, cans and garden waste.
    Unfortunatly though we just have silly little open top boxes for ours and green bags for garden waste.

6. rona

rona Guest

Do you know if they have this new machine that can separate everything, or do you still have to do the sorting?
    Our council are supposed to be getting a machine and we will be able to put all our recycling into one bin

We bought a dustbin for our plastics and tins because we feed tinned chappie all the time, so loads of tins :) just asked the dustmen if they minded first :)

7. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

We have 2 wheelie bins, the blue one is for cans,paper,plastic bottles ect and the green one is for anything that your unsure about and garden rubbish.But at a price you can have a brown one just for garden rubbish.:D:D

8. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

We have green wheely bins collected once a month, they take paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, cans but I think they should make some provision for glass bottles (not that we have a lot of beer or wine bottles:rolleyes:) Oh they will give you as many bins as you want as well, we have two.

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My local council only takes certain plastics, based on shape, rather than what they are made of, and doesnt take cardboard, which drives me nuts!

I dont drive, so getting rid of the TONNES of cardboard that i get is a nightmare.

I have to pay extra to get my garden waste taken away.

10. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Our council have given us a plastic box with a lid to put in can, tins and glass items. We also get given blue, green and clear plastic bags, blue for plastic stuff, green for garden stuff, clear for paper/magazines/newspapers, also they take cardboard in the clear bags (but it has to be separate from the papers).

I think it is a very good system. Not sure about how eco all the plastic bags that are handed out are mind, don't know where they all go? Maybe recycled themselves, I should really find out but at the moment its hard being the only one that does bother to recycle in this house, DH and DS are quite stubborn and will leave items that can be recycled ON TOP of the bin in the kitchen so that I had to swill them out and put them in the recycling boxes (I bought my own) in the garage :mad:

11. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

We have to separate it all except for glass & cans which can go together. We have a box for glass & cans, bag for paper & card, another bag for plastic bottles, a caddy for food waste & big sacks for garden waste. We've always sorted stuff and taken it to recycling ourselves so it's much easier for us and luckily we have a large basement to keep it all.

A friend of mine did some agency work in Australia at a recycling plant. He was one of the "machines" that separates the waste! He said it was the most disgusting job he'd ever had in his life.

12. bird

bird PetForums VIP

We have
    Wheelie bin for garden waste
    Blue box for tins and glass
    bag for newspapers
    About to get
    Box for tins
    Box for plastic
    bag for cardboard

Where I am supposed to put all this hav'nt a blessed clue. :eek:

13. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

we have green bin for general waste, a brown for garden and cardboard (no mud aloud)

also a blue tub for paper
    an orange one for tins
    and a green one for glass

the general bin is emptied every week, and the others every 2 weeks.
    It is good this is done from our doorstep, but what about plastic?? thats what goes in our bin mostly.

I think they should do more

14. Pamela

Pamela Guest

I thought you lived close to me. We have a green wheelie bin for paper, cardboard and anything recycleable collected every 2 weeks and a black one for everything else collected every 2 weeks and a box for bottles and jars collected monthly. If you have garden waste you can bag it and they will collect on request but we always take it to tip ourselves.

15. Opheliac

Opheliac PetForums Member

Good idea, we always have alot and the boxes are near to overflowing some days!

16. rona

rona Guest

They can smell this time of year too, can never seem to clean them completely always some stuck in the rims :(

17. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We get a large bag for newspapers and cardboard. A large brown bin for bottles, tins and glass. A large green bin for grass and garden cuttings etc and two food bins for any waste food(a small one for inside and a larger one to put the bag in daily which you keep outside.) We also have a black wheely bin for any general rubbish. The black bin and the cardboard and newspaper is collected one week and the green bin and bottle bin is collected the week after so they are on alternate weeks. The food bin is collected weekly.

#17 Jazzy, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  18. mollyismyworld

I live in a private complex, and we have a brick storage house with different bins inside for household/ plastic/ glass waste.

We don't have garden waste bins as our gardens are all upkept by the company we all pay.

It's so great to recycle everything, but I do feel a bit sad that every house has 2 or 3 bins outside which look pretty ugly.

I feel quite lucky that we have our communal bin store where it is all kept out of the way of the gardens and no smell.

19. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Ours do paper, glass, tins, garden waste (is that recycled), I'm not sure what else :p

20. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

We have green bin, black bin, blue box and blue bag to be honest i dont actually get all this recycling, bin pick up change the council have done.

Re cycling better for the environment, so they put extra different company on the treets picking up the the blue bag one week and the blue box another week. . . . . so they put hundreds of extra trucks on the road all over the country so increasing the emmisions going into the air the disposal of old parts, oil, and tyres surely what has been saved in collecting jars, tins, newspapers etc, seperately they have increased the actual waste. Dont get it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice