Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rectal reading

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by mypets, Jul 5, 2009.

1. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

ok, need someone to explain what i need?, where to get it? and what to do?

to take selectas temp, to keep an eye on her..for when shes due...

thanksssssss guyssssssssss

#1 mypets, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Do you mean taking a cats temperature?

3. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

yeh sorry...thats what i mean...not really had to do this before..but selecta i reakon is nearly due...and where i rescued her, i dont know the date, so wanted to do this to keep an eye on her..

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I never bothered with this - it all seemed a bit undignified and not incredibly accurate. Once her tummy drops it should be no more than 2 days which is about as much as a rectal temp will tell you. But my opinion only - but this means I hve no idea what is needed nor where to get it from - Sorry:rolleyes:

5. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

ok thankyou..so annoying when you dont know the exact date...suppose it will happen when it happens..

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Even when you do it isn't an exact science - my Minnii was 4 days early and took us completely by surprise and they can also go as late as 5 days over!

7. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

They will come when they are ready, you just have to be patient:) sounds as though you wont have to wait too much longer:)

8. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

yeh i know that they will come when they are ready...im experienced in this...but just seen other threads talking about them...so was gonna give it a try, but think im gonna leave her...she prob wont like being proded about in this weather...

yeh wont be long now...i hope...too hot for her to be well pregnant, bless her..

9. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

I'd be a bit worried about checking my girls temp, in case I hurt her or accidentally induce labour! :eek: But all the books and articles I have read suggest that it is necessary to take you queens temp. Do most of you seasoned breeders not bother with this then? It would be nice know that i don't have to put my girls bottom through it! ;) xx

10. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I've never taken a queens temperature. I think they have enough to contend with being heavily pregnant, than suffer me taking their temperature. You can get those thermometers you put in their ears rather than their bums, but they are about £50. I think you get a feel for when a queen is going to deliver. Even if you know exactly when they are mated its still a waiting game, they give birth when they feel like it.

Bearing how much they wriggle when the vet takes their temperature, I wouldn't like to try it on mine single handed. Why stress them out if you don't really need to.

11. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I don't see the need. As Saikou said, you tend to get a feeling for when they're about to go into labour.

12. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Glad everyones opinion is not to take it....I was beginning to worry. (I really did not want to try it) lol:D:D

13. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Ditto! One less thing to worry about. Thanks! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice