Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recovering Dove Underweight

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by MeggyWeggy, Jan 14, 2012.

1. MeggyWeggy

MeggyWeggy PetForums Newbie

Hello there, PetForums! The primary reason I joined is concern over my pet dove, Helen, who has been recovering from pneumonia that she had when I purchased her a few weeks ago. She's made a decent recovery, and is still on low-level antibiotics (doxycycline) to fight off what's left of the infection and prevent anything else from happening to her or her mate. However, now that she's not so fluffed up all the time, I can see she's very skinny - her vet commented on this once, but it's only become apparent the last day or so. I do supplement their food with the occasional egg, cheese, and greens, but I was wondering if doves will eat suet, or if it's okay for them? I want her to bulk up fast so she can make a speedy recovery.

2. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Forget the cheese...go for seeds like canary and rape that are loaded with oils.Animal fats in small quantities should be ok.Don't let her go the other way and get overweight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice