Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recommendations for Vacuum Cleaners Please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BeagleOesx, Mar 28, 2011.

1. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

I'm looking at getting a new vacuum cleaner (what a treat!), I currently have an Electrolux which I have been happy with but now just doesn't seem to pick up all the fur as much as I would like. When it does pick it up it seems to just spit it out behind it!!

I therefore wondered if anyone had any recommendations for ones which are really good and do pick up animal fur & hair. It is the fur from Harvey (beagle) which is a nightmare to pick up as it is short.

Thanks

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I'd recommend a Dyson everytime. They cost more, but they're worth it.

My DC04 model is still running strong after 9 years!

If you regularly wash the filter (say once per month) the suction stays true.

:)

3. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Well if you had asked a month ago i would have said a dyson but now i wouldnt lol our dyson broke the other week, luckily we had a vax wet/dry and its fantastic as a hoover and as a carpet cleaner and costs much less than a dyson;)

4. Sebo's and Mieles are both supurb!
    Currently have a sebo (cozs I got a good deal) but maybe the Miele just has the edge!

5. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

I've got a Swan hoover, picks up more pet hair than I even realised was on the carpet!! :D

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I wouldn't swap my Dyson 4 for all the tea in China!!!

My previous DC4 model died a death after 10 years and I replaced it with the new upgraded DC4 - well, it was like having new carpets!!!!

Even the little hand-held accessory is fantastic - the stairs come up a treat with it and it is a lot less work than it used to be too. :thumbup:

The only downside to the new DC4 is that it is heavier than the previous model but this is not too much of a problem for me as OH does most of the hoovering!!! :D :D

7. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

That's a good point actually. When I vacuum with my Dyson, it feels more like I am using a gadget so it's great fun! Guys like gadgets. I never used to get such pleasure from hoovering with my old bagged cylinder.

Alternatively, you can get those automatic hoovers now that do the job for you. Not sure how they are on suction though.

8. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

9. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

thanks to everyone for replies, given me some food for thought will go & look at them. MoggyBaby, if I get a DC4 do I get a free hubby who'll do the hovering because I could do with one to show my hubby what to do :lol:

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Do you really want TWO hubbys???? Blimey, one is MORE than enough hard work for me.... :eek: :eek:

I trained mine the same way I trained the cats - You hoover, I'll cook & feed you. You don't hoover, you starve!! :D :D :D

11. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

:yikes: You're right, I def don't want 2 hubbies, will just have to take up a training programme with mine - although after 26 years may be a little hard to break!

Would love to see your hoovering cats though - that thought has made me chuckle :lol:

12. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

the last couple of cleaners we have had have been vax... the service back-up is the tops...

13. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

dyson all the way for me

14. toria

toria PetForums Senior

We have a vax but to be honest i really dont think much of it.
    It dosent get everything up & half my time i spend emptying it thinking thats whats stopping it from picking up...Its not blocked the tubes you attach work fab but the main hoover itself is well below par IMO.

15. woofwoo

woofwoo PetForums Member

I chose Vax bagless one, as it came with 6 yr warranty. It lasted me about 15 months. Sent it back under warranty and they sent me a new one better spec as my spec was now discontinued. It picks up well I use it every day but its very heavy. I will go back to dyson next time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice