Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recommendations for cat carriers please.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jansheff, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

I need to replace my cat carriers, I’ve had the current ones about 30 years. They are the old fashioned arched shaped, wicker ones, the leather fastening buckle straps broke a long time ago and though we’ve tried to replace them we’ve never managed to get satisfactory ones and they are stiff and difficult to fasten. At the vet yesterday I had to get him to cut one off as neither of us could unfasten it. Half of them are replaced by string and I worry about security. They’re not the easiest things to carry either.

Can anyone recommend good carriers please, not too expensive, but easy to carry? I need a large one, as the two Burmese normally share, and a single one for Raff. Not too small as he is a biggish cat. Can’t do 3 singles as I wouldn’t be able to carry them when I do trips on my own. Thanks.

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

When I get asked this question the only carriers that I recommend are the top loading plastic coated wire ones - like this

cat carrier.jpg they do come in different sizes and are available at most good pet stores, Amazon and Zooplus (some vets also stock them). I have had mine for over 30 years now and it's still as good as new:)

Jansheff and OrientalSlave like this.
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Agree with the above. Mine has a wire handle and is at least 20 years old.

Jansheff likes this.
  4. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Thanks, I’ve often wondered when I’ve seen those if the cat feels secure, or whether they feel exposed and vulnerable. Even though my old carriers only have a wire door that you can see through, my two Burmese always pull and tug the blanket on the bottom, so they are buried out of sight underneath.

5. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

I agree with above - wire carriers every time. I've had my first one close to thirty years and it's still going strong. I bought mine from the vet. Plenty big enough for NFCs.

Just carry it with a beach towel over the top/handle if it's raining or you don't want them to see out because of traffic etc.

I put a puppy pad and then a blanket in the bottom.

Jansheff likes this.
  6. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

We bought one of the carriers above as Oscar doesn't like the normal carrier, we had such a fight trying to get him into the front loading one we had from the shelter. I bought a wire one after reading the forums and it's been fine, he went straight in. Oscar is quite tall and weighs 5.2kg (ish) and he'd not want anything smaller than this one - so you might find you need a dog version for two cats? We got ours from Fetch with an Ocado delivery.

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It's easy to make a cover because they are a nice regular rectangular shape, or you can just put a blanket over.

Jansheff likes this.
  8. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I usually cover mine with a small blanket, but you can actually buy proper fitted covers made by MDC (we use them in the rehoming centre when moving cats to and from their pens for the vet's visits).

Jansheff likes this.
  9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

The rescue centre has jazzy hand knitted covers for their wire carriers which do the job very well.
    I have to say though that I still favour my wicker basket. I've used cable ties to firmly attach the bottom edge and act as a hinge and have managed to replace the top strap pretty easily.

Jansheff likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice