Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recommend me some plants for the cat run!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by popoki, Mar 27, 2011.

1. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Hi All

We've just had our cat run built and it's looking great! Kiki is still a little overwhelmed by the smells and sounds of outside, but has been running about inside and out all day today so I think she likes it!

I'm going to get some flowers in pots for the patio outside the run to attract bees and butterflies so there's plenty for her to watch in the summer, but can anyone recommend some plants to have in pots inside the run?

They need to be cat friendly and hopefully easy to grow as I'm not very green fingered!

I'm planning on Lemongrass, Catnip and some cat grass as they are all meant to appeal cats, but I'd like some other suggestions please!

Thanks in advance!

2. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I have a tub of ornimental grasses (including 'Cousin It' a grass that tails to the ground creating a stalking/hiding spot around the base of the tub) and a potted Hebe bush in mine

am looking at getting some lavender and sage as they grow easy and bushy so great for playing in + the cats will smell nice after!

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I was also going to suggest lavendar, and rosemary....both dead easy to grow and cats will brush up against them and smell gorgeous after!

Britt likes this.
  4. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Thanks!

I'll definitely get some Lavender, I love the smell!

I like the idea of the ornamental grass too, but want to make sure I find one that's not going to dominate the area.

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

that's why I have it in the planters and I snip the seed heads off

6. stoneandglass

stoneandglass PetForums Junior

cat mint could be a good one? We used to have it and the cats rolled all over it so if you try it be sure to put it in a low plastic container or something.

7. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

We've got lots of plants in the garden which attract bees and butterflies and our cats go into the garden (always with us). Unfortunately the bee/butterly attracting plants are a bit of a double edged sword! The catmint attracts hundreds of bees and twice last year we had silly cats trying to catch them, getting stung in the process, both of which needed anti-histamine treatment :(

8. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

What about violas (sweet violets/viola odorata) Thye make a pretty groundcover or even potplants and they are cat-safe
    Most if not all culinary herbs would be cat-safe too, e.g. chives, parsley, thyme

9. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Lovely idea! What about a Yukka plant for her to scratch her claws on? We have an indoor plant that has grown quite large and our two love attacking the leaves and raking the trunk. It stands up well to the onslaught too!

10. ejrogers

ejrogers PetForums Member

Hi Popoki,
    I'm sorry, I can't help with the plant question but could I ask you about your cat run? Did you build it yourself and how big is it?
    I'm thinking of having one made for our garden but not sure how big it should be or what it should be made of etc..

Thanks in advance

11. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

I can feel a herb garden coming on! :thumbup:

ejrogers - Lindee Lu - Manufacturer of bespoke Catteries, Kennels and other animal enclosures made our run.
    It wasn't cheap but neither me or OH are very good at diy so thought it safest to leave it to the professionals!! Plus we have an awning so wanted the roof to be at an angle to allow us to still put this out if we wanted to.

It's wood and wire mesh with a climbing tree and a sun shelf. It looks great and I have to say their customer service was excellent. It's big enough so we can sit out there with her too! It's really as much for us as it was for Kiki as we have french windows and didn't fancy a summer of closed windows.

We're really pleased with it!

A couple of pics attached.

Attached Files:

Treaclesmum likes this.
  12. Britt

Britt In love with Roucky

13. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Bamboo is a good plant for the cat run too.

14. Mistys Mum

Mistys Mum PetForums Member

I assume 'cat friendly' means you are aware of issues with some plants being toxic to cats (-:

Outside of my run I have a climbing plant which I think is a jasmine which is now over the cat run and provides shade in summer. It grows a bit mad so has to be kept in check!

Treaclesmum likes this.
  15. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

This is a thread from 2011:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice