Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recommend me a cat tree ...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lisa2701, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

Ziggy and Pippin really love their cat tree, so much so that it's falling to bits, literally. They've scratched it to the point the ropes falling off and Ziggy climbs it at speed and has hauled himself up it so often that the top bed area has actually fell off. He's lost without his bed up high. I've now resorted to putting one of their other beds on top of the cat tree to give him a bed up high and they've never used this bed as much as they do now which confirms to me that they like to sleep up high. IMG_3517.JPG

I intend on buying some wall mounted beds that I'm going to put up high as this confirms to me that they want something high up but I also want to replace the cat tree.

Funds are pretty tight just now but I'm looking for recommendations for a really sturdy, well made cat tree that will withstand how tough they are on their tree but without breaking the bank. I'll need to save up for a bit, but I want to know what I'm aiming for.

Thanks

huckybuck likes this.
  2. Franlow

Franlow Guest

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/506...ratching-post-with-2-x?ref=shop_home_active_3

These are fabulous, really well made scratcher / trees. The best thing - in my opinion, they don't use carpet on the base. Think about it, we expect a cat to be able to tell the difference between scratcher carpet & stair carpet! This is fleece. We have a mushroom. They will also make exactly what you need in colours to fit your home.

Summ3rain and Lisa2701 like this.
  3. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

Yeah I do agree that putting carpet on a cat tree isn't the most ingenious idea lol.

These look too small though. Ziggy really likes height. I'd say I'm looking for something 160cm+ and in fact the taller the better. I've considered one of these trees that go from floor to ceiling as I think they'd love them!

4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Lisa2701 likes this.
  5. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Lisa2701 likes this.
  6. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

I've just bought one of these because I wanted something ceiling-high and without a huge foot print:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011YTBAI6/

I like that it can screw into the ceiling and isn't going to block a ton of light out too.

It's due to arrive on Monday. Looks like it has more of a platform than a bed at the top, but I'll let you know if the brand's any cop :)

Lisa2701 likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If you buy a German-made cat tree you'll find they are so well made you'll never need to buy a cat tree again. They are truly built to last!

They are not cheap but IMO are worth every penny. I've had mine for 3 yrs and it still looks like new in spite of being in use every day by my big boys. Normally I would have had to replace e.g. a Zooplus cat tree about 3 times by now, as I found the coverings rip so easily or the beds get grubby-looking and can't be removed for laundering.

On my German cat tree there is no carpet on the base, just varnished wood, which can be wiped clean, so nothing to spoil. The donut beds and cushions are interchangeable and can be removed and laundered in the w/machine, a big plus as the tree is in my sitting room, so I want it to look 'respectable'.

It's possible to buy extra cushions or donut beds separately should you need to replace them. I use the cushions for the summer months and swap them for the donut beds in the winter months. Each platform has velcro stuck to it so the beds and cushions stick firm and don't fall off.

I cannot speak highly enough of these cat trees (and I promise I have no shares in the company, LOL :D)

http://www.kratzbaeume.de/Kratzbaeu...ratzbaeume-mit-Einlagen/Kratzbaum-S6K-07.html

Citrineblue, Cookieandme and Lisa2701 like this.
  8. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I highly recommend the Xanthos ceiling tree on Zooplus. Incredibly sturdy and lasts ages. We have a different tree atm (I think it's the Argos one) but again from Zooplus and is a ceiling tree. We've had it for 4 years now, with moggies and Maine Coons throwing themselves up and down it daily and it's only now starting to look tired and battered. I'm not mad keen on the bed layout for it and prefer the Xanthos layout, hence the recommendation

9. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

10. SimplyRosy

SimplyRosy PetForums Junior

Lisa2701 likes this.
  11. Peter1982

Peter1982 PetForums Newbie

catwalk50a.JPG walk 10aa.jpg How about catwalk? found at luxcat.co.uk

huckybuck and chillminx like this.
  12. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

13. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

Pop let me know how it is and pics would be appreciated.

14. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

WOW those look awesome and so so well made!!! I am jealous and I'm not even a cat! I so wish I had the funds for something like that for my kitties but I just don't. Believe me if I could afford one of those then I most definitely would as you can see how it's going to last!

chillminx likes this.
  15. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

Ahh I've looked at that one. It does look very cool!

I also like a couple of others on zooplus at £50-80 which are very similar. However I've found a cat tree elsewhere which is 203cm tall (not right to the ceiling) but has lots of the platform type beds that Ziggy in particular loves and It's only £30 so even if it lasted 6-12 months then it's worth it. Probably no better than the quality we have now and I'd like to have gotten a better quality one but I don't suppose the cats care.

This is it here. IMG_3599.PNG

16. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

17. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

This is another one I've looked at on Zooplus and if I remember right it's mega cheap! Do you recommend? What beds/platforms does it have?

18. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

These are absolutely awesome and I definitely want to get some wall mounted beds and shelfs for them at some point but I want to replace their tree first. Zooplus have some nice wall mounted beds for really cheap! £7 and £14 for the cheaper two but the cats look really comfy in it. They do one at £24 which is like a cacoon/igloo style that's to be wall mounted so I might get that for pippin at some point because she loves being inside beds where as Ziggy likes being on top of things.

19. Peter1982

Lisa2701: I've seen them :) i know zooplus, and lot of my friends and family orders from them, great food choice,
    I have a cat as well Julia ( pic bellow). so I use them as well. It just the catwalks that I'm showing ... :) they simply can't be as cheap... they are handcrafted on all level of production, got all edges round, painted in light gloss and nicely polished .... lot of work to be honest :)))) .... so it's just different category, it depends what people want ... i think that for cat both're good :) IMAG0093.jpg

huckybuck likes this.
  20. Peter1982

take a look at details, luxcat.co.uk is almost like bespoke order :) walk 10c.JPG

#20 Peter1982, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice