Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

recipe suggestions.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by catz4m8z, Feb 23, 2021 at 2:27 PM.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Just wondering what to do with my veg box when it comes this week and looking for some inspiration!
    So Im getting potatoes, cauliflower, red cabbage, sprouts, kale, purple sprouting broccoli and red onions....

so what would you do with it all?:D

2. DolomiTTe

DolomiTTe Kitty Collector

Personally, I'd make chips with the potatoes and give the rest away - I don't eat veg! I wish I liked it but can't stand the stuff. Wish I could be of more help! :Hilarious

3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Nope, can't help it, I have to say it.........

Make a rainbow?

Sorry, but I'd be the same as @DolomiTTe, use the potatoes (maybe the broccoli) but give away the rest.

Edit to say: I love vegetable soup, but not keen on veg 'as is' and am not familiar with a lot on your list.

#3 ForestWomble, Feb 23, 2021 at 3:21 PM
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 6:56 PM
    DolomiTTe and HarlequinCat like this.
  4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

well sheesh...you veg haters are no good!:Shifty

At this rate Im just gonna be roasting everything and calling it quits!:rolleyes:;)

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

If you were thinking of a Dinner Party I'm afraid I'm busy all week.;)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I love roasted kale! But of oil, garlic and salt and whack it in the oven until crispy. Yum

Summercat likes this.
  8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Roasted cauliflower steaks. You can also make steaks with the red cabbage

Cream of broccoli soup or potato and kale soup.

Cheesy cauliflower, potato, sprout and broccoli gratin

Red cabbage and onion coleslaw or braised red cabbage and onion.

If I have them I add other things like peppers, mushrooms and beans to my dishes. I normally cook a load of various kinds of dried beans, or quinoa, bulgur or barley then portion them into plastic bags, and freeze them so they're instantly ready to add to things

Ellie&cats, Lurcherlad and Summercat like this.
  9. LoveLurchers

LoveLurchers PetForums Newbie

The people I get a weekly veg box from have loads of recipes on their website, which I use. They are Riverford Organic Farmers and you can access the recipes without signing up to their boxes. Enjoy!

Summercat and mrs phas like this.
  10. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Riverford are ace
    They have quite a few unusual veg, when in season too
    It was through them, years ago, that first tasted romenesco cauliflower, (forever known as Christmas tree cauliflower, so kids were quite young) cavalo Nero and celeriac, all quite common in supermarkets now
    purple potatoes, Apache potatoes, purple heirloom tomatoes and yellow carrots etc, again all available quite commonly now
    As you say, their recipes are, and always have been, remarkable in both their taste and ease of making
    @catz4m8z
    how about making special fried rice with the cauliflower, it's very easy to use a grater to make cauli rice
    Potato, onion and broccoli gratin
    Kale crisps or Chinese 'seaweed'

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

thanks guys! Some excellent suggestions that I will def be trying (I esp love the sound of the festive red salad, and I have most of the bits in!).
    At the moment I like cooking up a variety of veggie dishes for the week and doing a mix n' match buddha bowl type approach.
    Might have to try kale in the oven again (last attempt resulted in kale charcoal!LOL).

I really dont understand not loving veggies....even when Im on a junk food binge I always get the craving to go back to them!;)

Ellie&cats and Summercat like this.
  12. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

I love my veg steamed and always have at least 3 with a meat/fish dinner. My electric steamer is used daily.
    Just seen a suggestion for onions done in the slow cooker that I intend to have a go at, apparently you just put some oil in the bottom and fill with sliced onions and roast until they caramelise, then you can freeze in muffin tins.

Summercat likes this.
  13. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I use spinach and feta cheese in omelets, I think you could do the same with kale instead of spinach.

The broccoli could go nice in a stir fry over rice noodles.

Cauliflower soup is tasty.

14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I used up all the veg in the fridge last week and made a big pan of stew, then made some herb & veggie suet dumplings and plonked them on top of the bubbling stew - very yummy and adds a bit of bulk :)

You could make bubble & squeak with a cheesy topping.

Ellie&cats likes this.
  15. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

I dont mind some veg but some veg dont like me or my stomach, I'm pretty limited to what my stomach wont complain at! I love cheese and spring onion sandwiches but I suffer the next day. Same goes with tomatoes, garlic, peppers etc. Other veg I hate the taste or texture of - sweet potatoes, parsnips, celery, sweetcorn (the smell of that cooking makes me heave for some strange reason)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice