Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recent Rescue - Toilet problem

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lurch, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Lurch

Lurch PetForums Newbie

Hello all - not the usual problem this time. We have just rescued a lurcher/gsd/something else who is fantastic. Apart from .....

She wont go to the toilet, much. We got her Sunday afternoon, she has spent a year in kennels, shared with other dogs. She did not go to the toilet until 3pm Monday when my wife went out for 5 mins. She came back and downstairs was covered and she was very, very submissive. Since then she has urinated once, 5pm Tuesday in the garden, pood (?) 7pm up the park, more poo this morning at 7am.

We realise she is stressed at the new surroundings and will take time to adjust, however, she lies next to me now and it is over 24 hours since she last urinated. We have spent the last hour outside just mooching around and getting to know each other (as we all have done at length over the last two days). My wife is at home with her all day. Should we just be patient, if so how much more. She does not seem in the slightest bit perturbed!

2. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

It will all be ok, yes she is stressed and it will take time, it may take 2 or 3 weeks for her to settle in, well done you for taking she on

3. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Hi ya . I am not going to be much help to you Im afraid, but i was wondering if you could help me. I have been looking at getting a lurcher x GSD, but I am doing my research before making any decisions. I Know you havn't owned her long but could you shed any light? Thank you very much and hope you have your problem sorted soon

p.s is she eating and drinking well?

4. Lurch

Lurch PetForums Newbie

Temperament remarkable, given her past (known that is, the unknown!).

Drinking fine, eating a bit, pestering the cats, she's in fine fettle really, great on the lead. It's early days though as she is totally bewildered out so when she's more confident she may be a different dog!

5. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Do you have any pictures of her? Would love to see her :)

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Has she had a vet check at all ?

7. Lurch

Lurch PetForums Newbie

woo hooo - just back from the park and after twenty mins or so the longest wee on record I reckon. :)

She is to be vet checked in the next couple of days.

8. rona

rona Guest

Did the kennels have concrete runs?
    She may think that this is the correct surface to use.

9. Lurch

Lurch PetForums Newbie

they did and we're on a part building development so plenty of hard surface - not concrete though :(

Still think 24+ hours is not right - let's see what the next 24 bring

10. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I know it isn't always practical but you could try putting some of her 'waste' in the area of the garden you want her to use as her toilet, when she smells she has been there before she will naturally want to go there again!!

Any pictures of her yet? Would love to see her.

Well done for taking on a rescue, i am sure she will spend many happy years with you.

11. rona

rona Guest

I must admit, my boy was the same when I first got him.
    Do you have her on a short lead when walking?
    Mine wouldn't do anything unless off lead or on an extend lead.
    She may have been taught, in her previous home, not to do it in the garden

12. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

When she does go outside, how do you reward and encourage her?

A friend of mine has just taken on an ex-racing greyhound who had been in kennels. Again isn't toilet trained. But after rewarding her everytime she goes outside with ham and a big fuss made and ignoring her when it happens in the house, the dog is much better.

Well done for taking on a rescue x

13. Lurch

Lurch PetForums Newbie

Pics on the way. We have always had rescue dogs over the years - our lovely girl who just died was a soppy doberman rottie lab x.

Well - I think our worrying may have been a little premature. Both just back from a walk with Tigger who duly deposited a large dog poo and lengthy wee, although she is still only going once a day which seems odd.

She went off the lead and was a joy to be with and her character is just beginning to show. Early days but fingers crossed, fantastic so far. She has nibbled a lot of grass and seed so we're keeping an eye on her. Vet tomorrow for a check-up and chip.

14. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

haha, it was my dream to have a dog who never poops and pees.

Please keep us updated on the little dog. I've recently adopted a nervous and frightened dog and love to learn more similar experience.

15. Lurch

Lurch PetForums Newbie

thanks for the advice provided. As mentioned I may have been worrying a little early. She is a delight and has settled very well - even put herself to bed in the kitchen and stayed until 3am :)

Her toilet habits are a little irregular, however, she will go outside now all the time. It is tricky to guess when she might need to as she is not food oriented at all and nibbles throughout the day. She has James Wellbeloved for her weight put in a bowl in the morning and she snacks all through until about 8pm!

She's tolerating and sort of ignoring the cats which is great. So, now need to beat the seperation issues and travel sickness! Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice