Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recent Death

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ferris Spilker, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Ferris Spilker

Ferris Spilker PetForums Newbie

I own 2 Dogs and three Cats , one Cat ( The Daughter of my other Cat) hast very recently passed away due to a Tumor , The other Animals of The Pack havent realised her death , Should we allow the others to see her Corpse, as we say Our Goodbyes ? Im Not Sure If The Mother might search for her Daughter if WE dont . But we also dont Want to inflict unessesary Pain.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Some experts say it is kinder to allow other pets in the household to see the body of the deceased pet. That way they seem to understand their friend has gone, and they are less likely to search for them.

I am very sorry for your loss. x

3. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. I would let the other pets see her body. I have done this in the past. I would give them time with her and they will know that she has passed away and in their own way say goodbye.

4. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

I've often pondered on whether animals understand death in the way we do, they certainly don't have the certain knowledge that they will die eventually like us. So whether they will associate the smell of their dead friend with the fact that she won't be coming back is hard to know. For this reason I would let them see and smell the body - it can't do any harm even if its no help. They'll deal with her absence in their own way, I do know some animals pine over the loss of close friends whilst others don't seem to care a jot, and there'll be stops in between.

5. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I wouldn’t. I let one of my girls see her brother’s corpse and it affected her quite badly. She became anxious and fearful.

6. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

I’m sorry for your loss. I tend to let the others see the body but they’ve never seemed to understand.

7. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I am
    So sorry for your loss! try not to worry too much about showing the body. cats do not feel grief the way humans do normally within two weeks the bereaved cat will just act as normal. Very sad for you. xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice