Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Received Pronunciation...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shibby, Apr 30, 2011.

1. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Has anyone 'studied' this and managed to soften/lose their accent? I'm looking in to it as I doubt my (very mild) Liverpudlian accent would be well received in the field of work I wish to get in to! It makes me cringe when I hear people trying to 'talk posh' after a few months at university etc. and I would like to understand the proper mechanics of this accent :)

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It depends where you end up at uni, my daughter left home with a london accent and now has a distinctive west country twang especially on some words.

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I study by distance learning and so would need to take this up myself :) It's funny how your accent can change. I've lived in some more Northern sounding areas and took on a softer accent. I know a lot of people who purposely change theirs in to some generic student accent, I find that one particularly irritating.

4. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

After living in Preston, and being with people 24/7 from lancashire, I started to develop a twang..... my mum said one day and started taking the mickey... so I moved back home :D:D :D :D

I think there are different scouse accents though, there is mild like myself which I don' think is bad. And then theres people who really whack it on thick and I think thats the accent that will stop you getting jobs, rather than the soft scouse.

I know someone from Formby who has a 'really' scouse accent and it just sounds stupid because we just don't have that thick of an accent being from the outskirts.

5. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

It doesnt matter how much you change it it will always come out when you are angry, drunk or in my case talking to a builder ( my original accent was Norf Lundon, or as i prefer to say now North London )

I moved to Herts in early teens so my accent softened and got "posher" but then i spent alot of time in London clubbing late teens so re developed my harder accent, now i live in Cambridge again my accent is much softer but i do slip :eek:

I like accents, it would be boring if we all had middle england, bland dialects :)

6. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Same here, I lived not far from Preston for a bit and my accent changed a little :) I was working with Wiganers and Sandgrown'uns/Blackpudlians. My accent is only mild and doesn't bother me but I think it would be a hindrance in terms of career goals, even though it's subtle. I really can't stand that spit sounding Liverpudlian accent (if you know what one I mean), it's changed so much over the past decade, a lot sounds so forced and unnatural. Which is a shame because I do like the Liverpudlian accent.

7. CharleyRogan

Yep I know the accent you mean. Sometimes its just embarrassing, because thats just not what it should like. The chavs have taken it over and ruined it.

What do you want to be?

8. CharleyRogan

Do you mean Sandgrounders being people from the likes of Ainsdale, Southport that way?

Do you called people from Southport wooleybacks? Just wondering as my brother uses it as an 'offensive' term for people from round that way!

9. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I don't plan on getting angry, drunk and I don't think I'd have the opportunity to talk to many builders in the workplace :D But I totally understand what you mean :D It would be very boring if we all had the same accent, however I would like to be able to improve it for professional reasons. I wouldn't be denying my roots so if a bit of scouse popped out every now and then, hopefully people wouldn't be too shocked!

Something to do with Neuroscience or another similar field in psychology :)

#9 shibby, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I've been here 18 months with nearly no contact with other kiwis, but my accent is still as strong as the day I left home. I get lots of flack for it!

11. CharleyRogan

I find that when I am drunk I talk with a horrible scouse accent :blush:

12. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I think it's the same as sandgrown'uns, just means people from the coastal towns; Blackpool, Morecambe, Southport etc. I don't call them woolybacks :D But round here, anyone who's not from purple wheelie bin Liverpool tends to get called a woolyback :D

13. CharleyRogan

Typical scouse way... if you haven't got a purple wheely bin your a wooly :D :D

14. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

That is soo true, you do revert back when I get angry, I go really cockney
    when I get angry, Or I find I do it when I speak to someone else whos cockney. Ive even typed things sometimes and when Ive looked back used things like iffy for instance.

15. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Hehe, yep :D And if you're on the Wirral, you're a squirrel!

16. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Carrot Cruncher ;)

17. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Wrong thread? :D

18. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Just bumping to see if any other users have any information on or experience with Received Pronunciation? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice