Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reccomendations for hooded cat litter trays?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Stephiib14, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Stephiib14

Stephiib14 PetForums Junior

Hi guys! Me again!
    My house is open plan... so when my cat does her business... the whole house is stinky for ages no matter how fast I remove the poop! Lol!!!
    She also likes so make SUPER SURE he's business is FULLY covered and I've even got a hoover next to the litter tray because it's constantly everywhere haha. My doggo also thinks she leaves him treats in there (yuck! Lol) so I'm going to invest in a litter tray with a hood, can someone reccomend me one thats a decent size? The ones I'm seeing look far too small?

2. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Maurey likes this.
  3. Stephiib14

As an aside, I believe cats poop shouldn’t smell that bad if it’s healthy. I barely notice my kittens poop. What are you feeding your cat?[/QUOTE]
    I am autistic and highly sensitive to smell, I probably should have put that in the original post! My sister visits almost daily and doesn't seem to notice as much, but she's currently eating purina one kitten food as she's still under 1y x

4. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I have these (currently unavailable on the link) but I bought them in other places not online.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bill-Litter-Tray-Toilet-Hood/dp/B000RY845M

I chose them because the back is higher and if you have a high pee-er it is less likely to go through the join.

Also have these for the same reason but they came from P@H originally and also on Ebay. I removed the doors as my little girl liked to face the back with her tail out of the door when using it.
    https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/hooded-cat-loo-291048

If you look at Google images you will see some very nice ones - I like the ones with a door that opens upwards.

5. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

6. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

We can’t have hooded trays as the boy is too tall (we do have large, high backed trays though). Anyway, he does eat rubbish, so his poop isn’t exactly pleasantly fragranced, so I have a candle in the two rooms his trays are (utility and upstairs bathroom) and light a candle for literally five minutes. Ta da!

Mind you, my house already smells of Pet Remedy diffusers...so visitors probably think it’s awful anyway :)

huckybuck likes this.
  7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Top box is good to stop doggies having little treats! The cat jumps down into the box

a lot of cats don’t like the hooded trays as they are too confined with a flap, so many remove the flap which defeats the aim you want.

huckybuck and Bethanjane22 like this.
  8. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat long lost friend

I love the curver trays because they don't look like litter trays - we have 4 MCs and all use them even though I did wonder if they may be too small - even Little H who is 9kg gets in (just) lol!!

https://www.bitiba.co.uk/shop/cats_...h3fGwDnEAQYASABEgI2uPD_BwE&mkt_source=1204722

We do have a couple of other styles too though (without lids) in case they don't want to use that these ones. I have a top entry and a couple of garden planters.

9. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

Little H gets in the curver?! I used to have those but Tommy always seemed like he had to crouch and and got his pants wet when peeing. He was a very special boy though so probably would have sat down in an open garden and got pee on his pants ;). They are the nicest looking tray I've ever had though. I use open brit pet ones now

huckybuck likes this.
  10. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat long lost friend

Yes - I am as shocked as you are especially as he has the choice of 3 in the same area :Hilarious I’ll try and get a pic next time as it is funny to watch!

Orla likes this.
  11. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I bought mine from pets at home. I took the door off though

12. Stephiib14

I found a nice big, hooded one in p@h,
    No more constant hoovering and much less smelly! And my dog No longer can figure out how to get the urm... treats... the cat leaves him! Hahaha!!
    Very happy xxx

13. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I have big trays with flaps but I take the flaps off. I don't want to go in the bathroom when someone else has dropped a super-smelly one, neither (in my view) do my cats

PS I stand them on plastic as I've had cats that stand up to pee and it drips via the join on the floor, and I have a microfibre bath mat on the floor in front of each tray which traps quite a lot of the scatter

14. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

Mines from Wilkos and I take the door off too

15. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice