Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recall Training in Garden

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hey

I did some recall training in the garden today. he sees the garden as a place of play, so I think he's actually harder to recall here than in most places where we walk. :confused: :rolleyes:

so started doing simple recalls when he was just trotting around, and he did it spot-on. Sometimes he would sniff the ground, and again, he was spot-on on the command. And sometimes he would chase birds flying over the garden, which he wouldn't recall from, but if I said "leave", and then waited until he turned towards me, and then used the "come" command, this worked well.

One question. He lied down with his tennis ball, and wouldn't recall. I had to dance around the garden, before he finally decided to get up and come towards me. Should I leave him there? Should i keep recalling? Should I just walk away (by the way, if i do this, he starts barking and doesn't recall then)?

So he was pretty good. Did about 50 recalls, and about 40 of them were spot-on, so that's good I suppose. :) (the other 10 were either using a leave command before recalling, or they were the tennis ball situation)

2. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

It sounds like he is doing great :) I don't think you are supposed to repeat the command as it just teaches them they can ignore you?
    Have you tried running away instead of walking? Kiva hates it if I leg it in the opposite direction and comes charging back. I don't treat her when I've had to coax her though, I only treat her when she stops what she's doing and comes immediately, because that's what I want her to associate 'come' with :)

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I think on walks, he would probably come after me, but in the garden, he knows i ain't going anywhere, so just barks, and won't come anyway. I think he thinks a game really. :rolleyes:

Also, your post has made me think of another question. Should I reward every single time he comes? Or just reward good rewards, ie ones that he comes immediately? Or would that result in him thinking he can ignore me, because he isn't going to get a reward anyway?

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Reread my recall post, it is on here on several threads, you get what you train, so if you reward slow recalls, that is what you will get, if you keep giving him command and he keeps ignoring you, that is what you will get.

Make it black and white for the dog so he is clear what the consequences are for the right and inappropriate behaviour.

Dog training is simple (when we stop making excuses, failing to deliver training correctly) ;)

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

So if he ignores me, what are you supposed to do? Ignore him? Wait for him to come in his own time?

6. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

I suppose it is more difficult in the garden, they can look at you while thinking 'yeh, and where exactly are ya gonna go?' Ha ha ha
    I always always praise kiva for coming to me wether I have asked her to or not, but I only treat if I said come and she came straight away :D It's like a bonus ha ha

You could try getting his attention before you give him the command?
    Like if he has a favourite squeaky toy you could squeak it and be a bit daft before you say come? that way he is already looking at you and wondering what fun is about to happen :)

7. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

that's a good idea. He loves his squeaky tennis balls, so if I shout his name and squeak the ball, and once he's looking at me, then say "come"? And if he doesn't respond, then I know not to say "come", and therefore not teaching him to ignore the "come" command.

8. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Yep :D if there's a good chance you think he won't come don't call him, set him up for success :D

9. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

And once you have squeaked and he is looking yuo could carry on squeaking while walking backwards he may be more inclined to start moving towards you anyway.
    I was always taught at training classes when starting to train recall to say the command A's the dog is doing what you want it to associate with the word, so they know what the word means?

10. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

In these instances, on walks, should I just keep walking or even running away? And he should catch up once he's finished?

11. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I'm sorry, I don't understand this.

Funnily enough, I was taught at training classes to keep saying "come" as he's coming towards you. Is this right?

12. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

If kiva was doing something and I wanted her to stop but I knew there was little chance of her recalling, I would go and get her.

13. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

ok thank you. :)

14. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Yes something like that because apparently dogs learn associate words to mean what they are doing at the time? And I'm no expert so don't quote me on this, but if you say come as they are moving towards you they learn come means go to owner, does that make sense? Lol like they don't know what sit means so u could teach them to lqy down to the command 'sit' if you wanted. But until a dog knows what you want a word to mean it is easier for them to learn if you say the word when they are doing what you want them to do when you say it.
    Oh god I think that's probably confused it even more! Ha ha

15. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I train the recall with the view that when I NEED it, he will not be "coming in his own time" as he is running towards a motorway or railway line.

That view tends to concentrate the mind. ;)

I do not give a second command, I go and get him.

Train for what you WANT, not what "will do" because (insert relevant reason)

16. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

As Seven asked - what should the consequnces be? I also am constantly training recalls & wonder what shoudl i do if either of the dogs ignore me.

Usually if i feel they are not istening to me they go back on their leads but that's usually if one of them starts to get hyped up at them amount of birds (we walk along rivers) that are around.

Although it gives me control & gets the dog to calm down a bit (no chasing!) I don't think they will associate being put back on their leads as a consequnce as it will never be instant so what would be a consequnce?

I have asked this question several times & never really gotten an answer :confused1:

17. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Have you tried using a squeaky toy to get him back?

18. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I also wonder what a consequence is. Training is all about timing and with recall, the consequence of bad behaviour is always too late.

I think this is what Ollie thought when he was a teenager, "I'm not coming back and what are you going to do about it?!" If he wanted to run into a woods, completely ignoring me, he could do, there was nothing I could do about it, apart from wait for him to return.

I have also had a bit of a revelation. :D I have just realised that if Ollie has a tennis ball in his mouth, he completely ignores me. I did some more training in the garden this afternoon, and I know you are not supposed to recall when they are likely to ignore you. But I wanted to try recalling him when he runs up to the end of the garden (which is long and I've never been able to stop him midway to recall). With a tennis ball in his mouth, he completely ignored my recalls. I then thought about doing it without the tennis ball, and he was amazing. I did about 4 recalls after sending him away to the end of the garden, and he spun round on the spot to come back. :D :thumbup: So somehow, having a tennis ball in your mouth makes you misbehave. :eek:ut: So tennis balls are banned from walks, and only for time in the garden. And I've made it a rule that if he has a tennis ball, I don't recall him at all.

But I'll still carry a squeaky tennis ball to get his attention, but he'll never have it himself on a walk.

19. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

It is difficult with recall because as you say you can't do anything immediately if they choose to ignore you. If kiva ignores a recall I tend to walk over to her and clip her lead on. Ignore me = end of free time :D not immediate I know, but better than just letting her on her merry way ;)

20. Zoojie

Zoojie PetForums Member

On walks, if I know he is going to ignore my recall (and him not recalling isn't going to cause problems for him, me or anyone else) I hide. It's a) a fun game, and b) a side note of always keep an eye on me :p

But I praise when he comes back after a minute, and treat when he comes back straight away. That way he knows coming back is good, but coming back quickly is REALLY good.

If I have to go get him, he stays on the lead for a bit until he's calmed down and listening to commands again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice