Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recall training ... going better?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by SPUDSMUM, Apr 3, 2011.

1. SPUDSMUM

SPUDSMUM PetForums Member

I bought a training lead last weekend ... a 10m one ...

Tried it out this weekend on my Spud ...

he is such a good boy off lead when it is just me and him but if he spots another dog in the distance he just goes deaf and runs like the clappers to say hello. He is 9 months old and is well pushing his luck some days! and i really dont want this behaviour to take hold ... he does play really nicely with other dogs but I really need to stop him charging over like a steam train ...

Well we used it yesterday and again today and I am impressed ... I dont know if it is because I feel more in control so therefore I am more relaxed which in turn makes him more relaxed or what but we have had two really good walks ... firstly I started holding the lead but then I let it trail behind him and he was sooooo good ... the first time we saw a dog I called his name and he appeared to not hear me so I lightly stepped on the lead then immediately off again and it was just enough to bring his attention back to me ... I called him and he came ... i gave him a treat then we started off again in the direction of the dog .. I still was not holding the lead ... I told him to heel and he did ... then I asked him to sit and he did ... then when it was clear that the other owner was happy for them to play I gave him his realease command and he calmly (well more calmly than ususal) jogged over to say hello ... I was soooo impressed.

Second time we saw a dog I called him and he immediately turned to me :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Dont know if its the lead or as I said that I am more relaxed as I feel in control but I fully intend to carry on using it ... thought I might get into a tangle but I found it quite easy to handle.

SOOOOOOO HAPPY :D

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Glad it is working so well, well done :).

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well done you and well done Spud.

4. anne123

anne123 PetForums Junior

Sounds like Spud is doing really well! I have just started to let my 4 month old off lead and he has been really good... so far, although I get a little anxious!! I was thinking of getting a training lead, sounds good, so I shall try one too. :)

I was told today that carrying a squeaky toy really helps if you are having a problem with recall... just a little tip perhaps, if it helps!! :)

5. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Developing a good non-rushed habit for greeting and play invite is good, if the dog learns you do want him to meet other dogs, rather than stop him, then there's less reason to bolt from you!

I like arriving at the park with longish line in place, and do recall to release from lead often.

Putting the "release to play" on a cue, likely helps as well. I did that with greeting people, and it's helped avoid the young dog dashing over to remake acquaintances, or seek to check out every stranger.

Carrying a well liked toy, that's available rarely, is a great way to reward recall, especially when you're planning to leave the park. I prefer a tug type toy for this, because the cooperative aspect of the game, means the dog doesn't get tempted to walk off with it.

In Victorial Stillwell's show, she used "squaky noises" to get the attention of terriers, to aid recall, and being exciting and interesting and fun for the dog, certainly makes solid recall a breeze and when they're older, those food treats aren't valued as highly as in most puppies.

6. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

I'm having some success with this... I take 2 tennis balls... 1 squeaky... 1 normal... the squeak is enough to get attention.. most of the time I throw the normal

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice