Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recall needs work!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ToddyxxMillie, May 4, 2010.

1. ToddyxxMillie

ToddyxxMillie PetForums Member

Hi i had a frightening experience the other day Millie was on the field at the back of us and she saw a rabbit and she darted for it didnt listen to me and i couldnt find her for 10 mins was really scary. Anyway ever since she was a puppy she has excellant recall if i tell her to wait she will and she will come back, if theres a dog i will tell her to sit and stay and she will i could leave her for an hour and she would still be there. Anyway i know its her instinct to go after rabbits but how can i stop her im scared now do i just do it from the start? Any help would be great !

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

my dog is like this. he's on a long line now, especially in rabbit areas, such as woods as its just not worth the risk. i would recommend a long line and a harness.

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Join the club!! I've had lots of posts on here about my dog Toby's recall. Again he is fine in 'normal' situations but as soon as a small, furry animal starts to run so does he ..... very fast & doesn't listen to me at all!!
    We have done lots of work on a long line & recalling him when off the lead in secure area, rewarding him with treats when he comes back, etc & we are getting there slowly.
    We had a bit of a set back the other day when he did actually get a rabbit (although he didn't chase it, it was sat right next to where we were walking).
    Some days are much better than others but (hopefully) with continuing our training & basic obedience classes we will get to the point where he may start to chase but I can confidently call him back.
    I would keep him on a lead or long line & just keep training. From what I have read it seems that the more they are allowed to chase the worse the behaviour becomes.
    If you have a search around on here you will find many posts of a similar type (you're not the only one at all!) so may pick up some more tips from there. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice