Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recall Line to off lead

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SophieCyde, Mar 25, 2011.

1. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

Hi everyone :)

Murphy has been on the long line for a few weeks now and he is great on it ... his recall is 100% and I usually just let it drag behind him so I can grab him I need to , today I took the plunge and let him off the lead :eek:

he was great until I tried to put him back onto the lead, he turned it into a big game and would not sit still (he sat when I said sit but s soon as I went for his collar darted off) he didn't run away as such just , around me in circles :p

Any ideas on how I can correct this behaviour so he can start going off lead ? :)

(I've tried food ect. but he's too excited)

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I had this problem with McKenzie a month or so ago - she would come back but not let me close enough to clip the lead on. What I did was when I gave her her treat for recall, I put my hand on her collar/harness at the same time. Then when I actually needed to put the lead on she didn't know it was coming and run away! It only took a few times of doing this before it was a normal part of recall - me call, she comes for treat, I ask her to sit and put my hand on her collar/harness, give her the treat. :)

3. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice , will try this out tommorrow :)

mckenzie is beautiful by the way :001_wub:

4. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

we had this problem with cassie for a long time. She had 100% recall with the long line - same as you - didnt need to hold the end. the minute we took her off it she resorted back to no recall!! then all of a sudden she changed and her recall became very good - dont know why - maybe she left adolescance behind. Sometimes she wont walk towards us but will just stand still and let us walk to her - in the past we expected her to come to us but feel more relaxed now.

5. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

Good to read your experiences with a long lead. I'm placing my boy Rupert back on his after he refused to come back this afternoon we were walking in our usual woods when he met a collie cross bitch I think she may have been in season. This is the second time he has refused to come back in two days so he's back on it!! :nono:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice