Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Recall has gone to pot

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Yummylab, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Yummylab

Yummylab PetForums Member

Like everyone else in the teenage kicks forum I no where your coming from mine has just turned 7 months he is good with most things (welll atm and keeping my fingers crossed for that) he's always had abit of trouble with recall with other dogs but usually you could call him and he would stop and wait for you but now if he see's a dog he is gone and you can stand there screaming his name and does he even bat a eye lid nope :rolleyes: dogs i can understand its the poor people that i feel sorry for the other day there was a old couple and they must of been a good half a mile away from us and he just went didnt pay attention at all to his recall, once he's said hello or had a sniff of the dog he will come back. We've gone back to treat based recall hoping that will help but didnt show no progress today so thinki im going to have to higher the treat to meat. My rant over with lol :) what i did want to ask was if anyone has any tips or hints about this? and does is get better lol

2. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Us too! we are having teenage woes and Alfie got lost today by following somebody home,because they are far more interesting than OH who was walking round the woods blowing the whistle with a pocket full of treats!
    Don't know if it will get better,but please do't say it will get worse:D

3. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Oh the teenage years... are bloody annoying. I actually sympatise with my own mum now :D
    Harvey's recall has never been good. We use a longline so he has his freedom, while we try and get it somewhere near decent. I keep hold at the moment as we are having problems with greeting other dogs because he was attacked a few weeks ago. But you could try having it trailing, that way you can stand on it if he ignores your command and he won't learn that come means carry on with what he was doing. Good luck :)

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I went through a difficult teenage phase with Ollie, in fact I think he had two, one around 1 year old lasting 4 months and then another at around 20 months old, lasting 4 months. Hopefully, he's out of it now.

My advice to you would be to get a long line and harness and go back to basics. If he runs off, grab the end of the line and reel him in. Only say the recall command once, if he doesn't obey, reel him in. Treat him once he gets to you, whether he came to you willingly or not. If you don't stop him running off, it will become habit and be harder to break in the future.

5. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

We have been having problems with Glen's recall for about 3months, he's now 10 months, our answer has been a long line. I feel we are really making progress now and he does have time off lead or let the long line trail the ground but it's good to have as a safety net. Still loads of recall, treats and praise but he's is getting there.

6. Fyfer

Fyfer PetForums Senior

I'm dealing with this with Nunuk as well. He sometimes stops mid-chase, sometimes not. We work on it every day when we play with the ball -- I throw it, he has to wait until 'go' before he runs after it. It has helped a LOT with his self-restraint and minding, but every once in a while he just takes off after something.

I'm not sure how best to respond when he does that. ??? Tonight he ran off, then crouched down on the ground waiting for me to come after him. I didn't want to call him back and reward him after he had just completely ignored a recall... What to do in those situations to help with next time???

:confused::

7. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Regarding Alfies disappearing act today,he was on a long line,dragging,which we always manage to stand on in time,but today,he just went and by time other half realised,he was well out of sight and on his way to the nice mans house!Recall is something that we are constantly working on,I feel that I will have to keep hold of the end of the line for a while until I can trust him again!Or as 7pets said,it will become a habit:(

8. Yummylab

Yummylab PetForums Member

Thanks for all the advice and hearing about other peoples situations, my OH always thinks he know what he is doing with the dog i just go along with now to humour him lol. The only problem with a long line that i find with myself is that he has never had one and if we usually see people or dogs before him so we put him back on the lead or if the other dog is off we leave him off but make sure the other dog is ok. I dont mean to offensive people but i find a long line for us would be taking a step back as im sure for your situation and training you find it suitable. Bet Alfie thought he was on a right little adventure!

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If he's running off because of *other* situations, then you need to go back to basics completely. Taking a step backwards is not a bad thing, I constantly train the basics with my dogs, if I didn't, then it would be unfair to expect them to respond without the practise.

I don't advocate a long line for training recall, some dogs are canny enough to know they're on one, and if you allow it to trail in dog walking areas, it might not be very nice to pick up with everything it's trailed through.

If he hasn't got a recall, and by that I mean he turns and comes towards you the first and only time you call him, then I wouldn't try and recall him for now on walks, when you know he won't respond, all you are doing is reinforcing that he doesn't have to respond to that command. I would get a whistle, not because they are magic in any way, but because you have already devalued your recall word command, so I would start from scratch with a new *command* ie the whistle. Only recall him when he's going to get it right, and give a release command so that he can go and play with other dogs. Until you are getting somewhere with his recall, go and get him, so that you don't devalue the whistle command. And keep practising and training the recall every day, just a few times, so that he can learn to get it right, and that getting it right equals a reward. Mine will work for either food or play, but I make them work to get it right for either of those rewards.

10. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Long lines are ok for firming up a recall but you need to find the right trigger to get their attention (something i struggle with owning a spaniel at this time of year)

Having said that i have found that the squeaky kong balls are very good for distraction if you can catch them early enough, and to be honest thats the trick really, getting their attention BEFORE they are tempted away, once they are in full flight forget it :D

If you "charge" the ball up making it lots of fun (which should be easy enough with a Lab) then just keep it in your pocket for when there are other dogs around, the fact that it has a squeaker means it gets their attention better than just calling them because recalling them could mean they are going back on lead which they don't want but squeaky ball means a good game.

I can take Oscar on the beach now with a squeaky ball and he really doesn't bother about other dogs unless they are close by which i never though would be the case. It does take time to get there though and you just have to keep training :thumbup:

11. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

12. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I have a problem with your last para. With my boy I find it impossible to tell when he will listen to me asking him to recall. Every gun dog person I've spoken to tells me I must not set him up to fail, but if I am unsure whether he will recall I am setting him up for failure, aren't I?

I use a lunge at the minute at home purely because his recall is so bad with wildlife that it just isn't safe to let him off. I am now using a whistle and I make sure I am within grabbing distance of the line if I'm not holding it and if he doesn't turn to me as soon as I blow the whistle I tug the line so he does and then he gets the silly praise for responding, comes to me and gets a minute treat. I can't think/find anything better to do near home right now. Going to try and get to more places where I can let him off properly and practice but its still quite tricky in that its not easy to know when he is likely to respond.

And if he doesn't when I blow the whistle, the moment is lost when he doesn't react isn't it? Its very tough. And as Sleeping Lion mentioned, Rupert knows hands down what a lunge line is there for and that it stops him being a complete prat.

Oh the woes of having a smart cookie for a dog :( I think recall gets more and more difficult if you just hope they will get better as they get older. A lot of people told me mine would improve with age but I think the only reason he gets a tiny bit better is with the work we do, nothing to do with age unfortunately! I would definitely encourage people to go back to basics as soon as they feel there is a problem and not hope they grow out of it then they reach adulthood!

13. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Well,took Alf the park first thing and it was really busy so sat him away from the disctractions on his long line,told him to sit and wait and then walked away and said here.If he didn't come he would get a pull on the leash and drag him to me and I still rewarded him with cheesey treat.When he did come he still got cheesey treat.Then I walked more towards the distractions as this is where our problems lie,and repeated this over and over again,and surprisingly it was great:thumbup:Then we went for a walk on his flexi and I kept stopping and saying here,again if he didn't come reeled him in and gave treat and when he did come still gave treat and this was remarkably good.He kept wandering off and then coming back to me and looking at me and then my bag as if to say I'm here wheres the treat:) Big thumbs up to alf after yesterdays vanishing act:thumbup:

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

The only reason I have quite a good recall, is because it's one of the things I constantly work on, and I would never say we have 100% recall. So, mine do know what a recall is, they know that it doesn't mean hang on, I need to sniff this tuft of grass, or check up the lane, just in case you're recalling me because one of my bestest mates is on the way. So, in that instance, if they don't do what I want, it's followed up with a very grumpy Oi and I don't let them ignore me, I go after them, and the second they respond accordingly (ie come back towards me as they were supposed to first off), it's good lass and I stop still, allowing them to come to me instead of the other way around, but don't over do it with praise because they didn't get the first bit right. Then, straight away, set them up to get it right, do this a few times, with lots of praise for getting it 100% right, even just a few feet, make it into a game for him. Random recalls, short and long, where you can tell he's going to respond, and HUGE amounts of fuss for getting it right.

You can't always tell if they are going to stick the proverbials up at you, but when they do, you need to do something about it. If you don't think they're going to respond at twenty feet, get after them so you are closer, and get within that range where they will recall.

A saying that I've heard time and time again, if they won't do something on lead and one foot away, then you can't expect them to do it off lead 50' away. So all the training close up, and then working up distance is what it's about. So many people think, yep, he knows his name, that'll work, and wonder why the dog doesn't come running from 100', away from the fun games they're having with their bestest buds, and not even for a piece of cheddar!!! There is a lot of work goes into getting a dog to respond to you all of the time, well, most of the time :)

15. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

You talk lots of sense :) Roo is still very much in a 'I'll do it in a minute' kind of phase :rolleyes: I'm having to drill it into my Mum to only ask him to do something once as she will ask him to sit, he'll look at her, tilt his head a bit and she'll be like 'Rupey come on sit!' and he'll just keep watching til after her 4th or 5th or even 6th command he will do as she's asked. He will quite happily wait until he gets made to do something and so she is now instructed to only give him commands once. He is funny though you can tell him to sit, he'll look at you directly in the face for often 20 seconds or more before he decides to do it :rolleyes: You'd think he'd realise the sooner he does it the sooner he gets a fuss or whatever, but apparently he'd rather sit and wait around in case he gets the fuss anyway..!

I think its partly in his nature because its not something I've ever really let him get away with he just seems to have been thinking more about doing things before he does them now so we're doing a lot of work on quick response to commands in the hope it will improve him in the recall field if we ever get that far :laugh:

I have this vision, that he will sit and wait for me to go fetch him when he doesn't recall because he *knows* I will come and get him. Little git, he's so cheeky he will do it too I bet :eek: Taking him out with a couple other dogs later and he doesn't bother too much with them anyway, but will see how he goes as he's not been off properly for 1.5-2 weeks. Fingers crossed he can manage one recall to whistle in the whole time we are out :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice