Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

reasons to Spay / Neuters your Pets

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Taylorbaby, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Paul Collins
    I periodically visit a shelter, one of many all over the world, filled with cats and kittens that do not have homes. They were removed from the street or dropped off outside the shelter gates.
    Maybe you can visit a shelter from time to time and see the cats and kittens without homes and possibly your view on spaying and neutering would change.

2. GPTC

GPTC Guest

I'm sure Chillminx is not suggesting for one moment that this individual should actually keep any cats, as he / it is clearly not educated enough to be trusted to look after live animals. I hope for everybody's sake that he has not personally bred!

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

4. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Joining a cat forum just to post on this thread? Get a life mate, I'm not taking the bait! :Smuggrin

5. GPTC

GPTC Guest

Well said.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

George Carlin

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It's strange how this member's irrational tirade contains similar vocabulary, phraseology and use of grammar as a thread on the same topic posted by another person of the male gender recently - (a member who is no longer with us) Perhaps this chap is his brother, LOL :;) :D

7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

There is probably lots of room under that particular bridge!

Tigermoon, Vantuuz, chillminx and 2 others like this.
  8. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Miss Milo was spayed in February at 26 weeks. She recovered remarkably quickly. A spay is a full hysterectomy and a human female would take weeks to recover. Everything went well, she healed nicely apart from a piece of surgical stitch that started poking out but the vet nurse snipped it off.
    I got her microchipped at the same time.

9. Tashanasha

Tashanasha PetForums Member

I think I found a good vet here that I trust (and she speaks English which is such a relief) so I'm thinking when would be the best time to take Marx to have him neutered? He is now 4 months, so as soon as possible or wait until he is 6 months? I guess it's the "as soon as possible" option, but I have read that it can affect their growth if done to early so I just want to make sure.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Neutering at 4 months does not affect their growth more than neutering at 6 months does, i.e. the effect on their growth is the same at 4 mths or 6 mths.

The long bones (which affect the cat's growth) do not close until the cat is 18 mths old, so you would have to leave him un-neutered until 18 mths for his growth not to be affected. Being neutered before he is 18 mths old means he will have longer limbs and be longer in the body than an un-neutered cat, i.e. he will be a bigger cat.

I'd have him neutered soon after 4 mths, before there's a chance for any unwelcome behaviour such as spraying to develop.

Tashanasha likes this.
  11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I also would neuter ASAP. All the pedigree kittens I've bred (apart from the girls I've kept!) have been neutered at 13-14 weeks and have grown into beautiful cats. Also especially with boys they bounce back far better than older cats.

Tashanasha likes this.
  12. Tashanasha

Thought that might be the case. :D I'll try to make an appointment for him in the next week or two then.

About the recovery, how long does that usually take? Should I take additional days off from work to be with him?

13. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Mine have been back to normal by the evening.

14. Tashanasha

Oh, that sounds good!

Thank you both for the information :)

15. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

For your own peace of mind I would probably advise it. Joey was absolutely fine after he was neutered at four months but if I weren't keeping an eye on him, I would've been a wreck.

Recovery was non-existant for him. He was eating immediately (just be careful to do a little bit at a time initially as the anaesthesia can make them sick). We had some issues where the vet wanted him to keep his cone/collar on and he point blank refused, but after a whole big episode related to that, I took it off and he was essentially normal. He was a little more manic the afternoon/evening of the op after coming around from the anaesthesia, suddenly playing with toys he'd barely touched in weeks....

The only thing is you have to be careful he doesn't lick at the wound/incision site itself. Joey had a really good wash "down there" after I took off his cone but he never actually licked the incision, he just wanted to get the vet smell off him I think! However I was really glad I had the next two full days off work as well as I was then able to keep monitoring him and his incision.

Tashanasha likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice