Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reasons to neuter your male cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Paddypaws, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ok ok I know I am preaching to the converted, but next time someone posts on here defending their decision to let their male moggie remain intact we can point them to this thread.
    We all know about the difficulties brought to rescue centres by 'kitten season' but maybe not everyone understands that prior to this there is 'fighting season' when entire Toms often get into life threatening fights over entire female cats. Toms will fight to the death and often sustain quite horrific injuries in their battles as they roam far and wide protecting their territory.
    Mushroom is one of those casualties but his luck has now changed and he is in the safe care of The Scratching post Rescue who are working with both his physical and emotional wounds.
    Pics are quite graphic I am afraid so not for the faint hearted, but he is already showing signs of improvement and will soon blossom into a beautiful cat with a promising future.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/411984892534805/

#1 Paddypaws, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I know it wasn't your intention, but I had to make a donation.

Poor boy, that must be pretty uncomfortable.

Paddypaws likes this.
  3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Made this a sticky - it's just as important to neuter tomcats as it is to spay females.

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

He must have been in agony especially with the eye being unprotected but is already looking much better.

5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I have taken this off the sticky list as @Paddypaws thinks it will get more views left here - I may stick it back again in a few days time

Shrike, bluecordelia and Paddypaws like this.
  6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Maybe someone will volunteer to write a detailed post about the topic and then we could add in a link to Mushroom's story?

lymorelynn likes this.
  7. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Oh @Paddypaws what a beauty Mushroom is. I never realised the damage toms do to each other. You would think he had a ligature or have been cut. I hope his eye can be saved. He really struck home with me due to his facial soft tissue damage . I found k laser really helped. He is such a gentle soul. I am off now to try the link to donate x

Done with giftaidxx

#7 bluecordelia, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Paddypaws likes this.
  8. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Heartbreaking. At least he's in good hands now

Paddypaws likes this.
  9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I popped up to the rescue today and am happy to report that Mushroom is healing wonderfully.
    IMG_2198.JPG
    His head wound looks great and the eye also looks better although he will need surgery to loosen the skin and allo the eye to close properly.
    They have another very battered and bedraggled Tomcat in called Morph. He has the saddest expression ever and was suffering with a nasty facial abscess. In fact he looked so pitiful that he has attracted quite a following on Twitter!
    He is a lovely friendly boy and is actually a gorgeous looking cat with pale apricot fur and pale yellow eyes.
    IMG_2192.JPG

10. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

These poor cats. If you've ever seen cats really fighting, its pretty terrifying. Hope they both continue to do well. Neutering is so important.

11. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Oh, Morph does look sad. The wound on Mushroom's head looks much better, but the from behind photos still show a long way to go for him. Is he blind in that eye, or might it recover?

I am absolutely amazed at his resilience if I'm honest. Cats are amazing healers.

12. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Are you referring to the pictures on the JustGiving page? He really is healing rapidly now and each day there is less red raw skin and more normal pink or furry skin. I don't think he is blind in the bad eye, we certainly had some nice blinking conversation today after his introductory hissing.

PetloverJo and bluecordelia like this.
  13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I thought it was more recent pics on the FB page, but maybe it wasn't.

That's good new about his eye. :)

Paddypaws likes this.
  14. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

wow Mushroom looks so much better now the wound has closed over. A bit of plastic fantastic and he will be as good as.

Iv never had surgery as his was cosmetic. He has a bit of scar tissue on one lower lid. I sometimes think should I have it done but until he stops growing new hair I want to wait.
    Morph hopefully will come round in time xxx

Paddypaws likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice