Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Really worried about cats' behaviour.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jadeh31, Jan 11, 2020.

1. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Senior

Sorry in advance for what is probably going to be a rambling post but I don't know where else to turn to. I have moved a couple of times in the last year. Cats have seemed to settle in OK in terms of exploring, eating, using litter trays etc. However they have both become very destructive in ways they never used to be. Constantly scratching the sofa even though they have scratch posts. Eating books on shelving units, scratching a canvas on the wall, pulling cables, odin has even started chewing the corner of a chest of drawers.
    I am aware it is most likely boredom so I have been playing with them morning and night to try to wear them out, trying different types of toys, getting them into a routine but nothing seems to be working.
    It's seriously stressing me out and due to how destructive they're being. I can't relax at home as I'm always keeping an eye on them. its difficult to leave them alone with full run of the house when noone is home either which I know isn't going to help the boredom situation but I can't think of any other way to stop them.
    Because it's not just chewing or just scratching finding deterrents isn't so easy either.
    I'm worried that I'm not able to provide them with the life that they need and deserve at the moment and it's breaking my heart. I don't want to rehome them I love them more than anything but I dont know how to fix the situation.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Do you have any Feliway or Pet Remedy plug-ins?
    It sounds as if they are marking things that have stayed constant in your moves - they're just making sure of their territory. They may not seem outwardly stressed but this does sound like stress behaviour to me and of course, they will pick up on your own stress.

Rhea mother of Zeus and jadeh31 like this.
  3. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Senior

I don't. I spoke to the breeder and she recommended that so I'm going to go to Pets at home tomorrow and pick one up. Annoyingly all the stuff they're at is all new furniture :Banghead
    I know odin is much more agitated and into everything when I'm more stressed. I suffer from hormone related stress anyway and he's always picked up on that. Im hoping it settles over time

4. TheFriendlyGhost

TheFriendlyGhost PetForums Newbie

Hi, the plug-in is a lot cheaper on Amazon and is available via Prime if that helps at all? I know it might not but thought I'd let you know just in case. It helped a lot when it came to us helping our kitten settle. I hope it helps for your cats!

Rhea mother of Zeus and jadeh31 like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @jadeh31

Is your new home smaller than the previous ones? It sounds possible your cats lack enough physical daily challenges to satisfy them mentally. Can you utilise the space above your head with overhead walkways, shelves etc?

Here are some ideas you could copy :-

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/chocolatefan3/cat-highways/

https://www.wayfair.com/pet/sb0/cat-perches-c409573.html

https://www.catastrophicreations.com/shop-2/

If your home has a ground floor, could you consider building a wooden enclosure attached to the house which they could access through a cat flap when they wanted to in the daytime? This would give them an added interest outdoors watching birds etc.

Lynn is right that the scratching is likely to be partly due to scent marking. To protect the sofa I'd put a scratch post and a scratch pad right next to it, and cover the sofa with throws. Also there are these sofa protectors you can stick on the sides with double sided tape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/hand-Furniture-Protector-Protecting-Upholstered/dp/B07JW4ZXW5/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=3GHVIVWADFUIE&keywords=sofa+protectors+from+pets+cat+scratch&qid=1578785115&sprefix=sofa+protectors+,aps,142&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTDg3Q1BPMlo3ODk3JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzQ1Mjc5MlRLR0RKM1kyREowJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MjE2NjQzM0RGQ0Q5WFJNQ1EzJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Summercat, moomoowawa and jadeh31 like this.
  6. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Senior

Thanks @chillminx it's a top floor flat so unfortunately no chance of building anything outdoors. I am going to start getting them out more in harness though. There's a quiet area outside with trees etc I think they'll quite like. Unfortunately the weather here hasn't been giving me much opportunity to get them out.

chillminx likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@jadeh31 - taking them out on harness and leash is a great idea! I'd only take one at a time though - in their present lively moods one of them may just decide to run off! We have had cats handed in to the Shelter from time to time with harness and leash still attached to them.

jadeh31 and moomoowawa like this.
  8. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

Hey Jade, I think it was you who also moved in with a partner who has a dog? Is this still the case? If so, that's quite a lot of stuff going on for two cats. In the position of the cats, I reckon I'd be quite edgy/bored because:
    1) Its a flat that's smaller than they had before
    2) Inside that flat, they don't have access to the full flat
    3) They share the space with a dog
    4) They dont have the experience of the outdoors
    5) From my own past experience of having had cats in both ground floor and top floor flats, top floor is actually much more boring for them, because theres so much less going on visually: a few birds flying overhead but thats it

Just saying that in terms of their behaviour it makes sense that they would be frustrated or bored or nervy. Things to try:
    Any way you can give them full access to the flat? Why dont they have full access now?
    Shelves/runs along the walls, like a maze, like what @chillminx suggests.
    It's a commitment but schedule in 20 minutes play in the morning, 20 minutes play in the evening, and make it intensive. When my cats were stuck indoors I used to go galloping around the flat pulling extra long shoelace behind me, make it really athletic as well as more stealth based games.

Summercat, jadeh31 and chillminx like this.
  9. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Senior

I currently only have one harness as I wasn't sure ivy would take to iit originally so they'll currently only be going out singly. Odin just likes to sit and look about whereas ivy is into everything so the two together is a bit of a headache to be honest!

chillminx and moomoowawa like this.
  10. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Senior

Thanks for your reply. I agree its a lot going on for them. They have access to the full flat but due to the extent of them trying to destroy things they don't have access to living room when no-one is in as I fear an accident like the TV coming down on them or cabinets. Iv been doing play in morning and evening for good half hour which does seem to settle them. If for whatever reason I miss play they start playing up again. Have ordered some more frenzy toys and some interactive things to keep them occupied when I'm busy

Soozi and moomoowawa like this.
  11. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Be careful with things like Feliway and Rescue Remedy because it can make things worse. They sound super stressed and should hopefully settle over time. If you can, take the view of the things they're marking are just things and can be replaced. The biggest thing with cats is not to be precious about your stuff and anything that is precious needs to be shut away

12. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Senior

IMG_20200113_165703.jpg IMG_20200113_165837.jpg

They've never had wooden floors before. Turns out a ball is the new favourite activity!

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Oooh what a nice big hall with a lovely wooden floor! My cats would love that too for their ball games! (My hall also has a wooden floor but the space is tiny! LOL) :)

14. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

Do your cats eat dry? If so, do this for one of their dry meals, if not, use treats: I like whipping mine into a frenzy by sending kibble skimming across the floor piece by piece so they get into a mad dash racing across the floor to pounce and eat. I say they.... One of them loves this activity, the other sits there looking sad, like "lady, what the hell are you doing with my food?"

jadeh31 and Summercat like this.
  15. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

16. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

moomoowawa likes this.
  17. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Senior

They don't touch dry but thanks for the idea as i had the dreamies flying around this morning!

18. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Senior

I'll have a look thanks. I have ordered one of these hamsters in a ball that someone on here recommendee!

Summercat likes this.
  19. jadeh31

jadeh31 PetForums Senior

I must say exercising them is definitely making a huge difference. I think possibly with the business of moving they've not had the same amount of attention. I'm also much closer to home now too which makes a massive difference. My old wand was really long and is hitting the walls and roof. So I I ordered a short one with some more attachments and they're tired out. They've always been very active overnight fighting each other as well as destroying everything recently but it seems like they're even sleeping overnight they're so tired!!

20. Rhea mother of Zeus

Rhea mother of Zeus Snuggling my crazy boy

I do that with my Zeus! It burns off so much energy. We throw piece by piece until he finally gets tired and lays down to relax.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice