Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Really Upset :(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BrodiesMummy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. BrodiesMummy

BrodiesMummy PetForums Member

My 10yr Old Golden Lab, Brogan has been kept in at the vets :(

They think he has something in his stomach which shouldnt be there as he's been off his food for 2 days now and hardly drunk a drop - the vet refused to take him last night as it wasnt classed as an emergency so i stayed up all night with him trying to keep him comfortable - He's now on a drip at the vets and will be having an x ray this afternoon.

Anyone had any experience of this, i'm really scared and just hope he's ok he's always been my dog and when i moved out he came for sleepovers at my flat but i wasnt allowed to take him.... will he be ok???

2. minizoo

minizoo PetForums Junior

an old dog of mine had the same, he had somehow swallowed some string and it was tied up around his intestine. he was back to normal in no time though after a small op.

my aunts dog swallowed a back scratcher whole, it was lodged from his throat to his bum and had missed every vital organ! its amazing what some dogs will eat!

good luck and hope all is ok xxx

3. bassetsandbeyond

bassetsandbeyond PetForums Senior

that is amazing.....how on earth did he swallow that?:confused:

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I really hope he's OK. It depends on what's in there (if anything), and where, and how long it's been there. There were cases on that Rolf Harris programme where dogs had all sorts of stuff taken out of them and recovered well. One I remember had eaten the foil from around the christmas turkey. It survived. But I knew a boxer that was off colour for a couple of weeks off and on, the vet found a plastic disc in her gut and removed it, the dog seemed to be getting better but took a turn for the worse and died. Hope for the best, prepare yourself for the worst.

5. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Same happened to my dog. She ate a lot of carpet, when i say a lot, i mean a ridiculous amount.

She threw up for the first few days, then stopped eating for a few more, and couldn't keep anything down. I cancelled the first appointment as she threw up a lot of the carpet, and i assumed there really couldn't be anymore as it weighed about 1kg! Anyway, we took her in 2 days later as she still wasn't eating. They gave her a few shots and some recovery food. Luckily she started to eat again.

We were lucky, as we were taking her in for the xray and as she'd kept her food down the night before, they said we could leave it a bit longer to see how things progressed. Luckily she just recovered. The plan was for her to have the xray, with a view to have an immediate operation afterwards. The only thing the vet said that worried us was that there was a potential they wouldn't be able to see the carpet, and in that instance there wouldn't be much they could do. The grand total would've been £900 if she were to have the xray and operation. But like i said we got very lucky.

6. BrodiesMummy

I hope he's ok too, i really doubt he has ate something as its been yrs since he's done that but you never know i spose, but the vet said he def felt something in his stomach its just a case of waiting for the x ray now :(

7. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

The main concern with these things is that it has literally blocked the path of food and is cutting off blood to the organs which can result in part of the system shutting down and dying. Gas can often build up, and the dog can become really bloated.

He's in the best hands, they no doubt see dogs that do this all the time, and it's pretty routine.

8. BrodiesMummy

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments i will let you know of any news as soon as i hear :)

9. BrodiesMummy

They've found a cancerous lump in his stomach and are operating now :( please send positive vibes so he can get through this, i'm sitting in my work crying and dont know what too do :(

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You poor thing!

Will your boss let you go home?

I hope he pulls through.

11. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Aaw bless you, your poor boy :( I hope he will be ok? x

12. BrodiesMummy

There was nothing they could do, he didnt make it :(:(:(

13. rona

rona Guest

Oh my god I am so sorry

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Get yourself off to the vets, they will allow you to spend some time with him and say goodbye.

Im so sorry for your loss.

15. BrodiesMummy

Thanks for your support it was just so sudden i told the vets it was an emergency last night but i doubt it wud have made a difference cant leave my work till 5 i'm the boss and on my own today my parents are with him now atleast i have the knowledge i kept him as comfortable as possible last night. Thanks again

16. bassetsandbeyond

bassetsandbeyond PetForums Senior

Oh no! I'm soo sorry for your loss.

17. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

soo sorry for your loss.

18. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Brodiesmum.... I am so so sorry to hear this, I am sending you ((big hugs)) I have no words to say to you
    :(:(

19. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

very sorry for your loss hon :( sending you lots of hugs - if you want to talk you know where we are

20. kath123

kath123 Guest

Oh my god!!! i cant believe i have just read this. It happened so quickly, i am so sorry. Sending you such a big hug. xxxx :(:(:(:(:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice