Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Really upset by work...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kittenfostermummy, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

Ok bare with me this may take a while....

I have been working as a 'receptionist' in a veterinary surgery for the past 2 years now. I have put receptionist in adverted commas as I also help a lot out the back but my job title is receptionist.

When I was taken on I said that I didn't just want to be a receptionist my main wish was to work out the back with the animals and that I had volunteered as a vet assistant in the past for 11 months, training under the vet and nurse to do all auxillary nurse jobs and then some!

My boss said that as we were a small start up business that was great as we all needed to be able to help out in all areas (to a point) and that I would be able to carry on with my passion.

I also during the start of my job got the idea that if they needed another auxillary nurse then there would be a chance for me to train.

Now this is where I am becoming really upset. I have both Fibromyalgia and ME both of which I disclosed before I was taken on, which means I can't do full time hours. I work 16hours a week but also do over time so I know I can do more hours.

I have repeated asked for my hours to be increased by another 8 hours so that I would still be part time but have that extra little bit of money (much needed at the moment as my mum and I are really struggling!)

I got told today that other people are going to be doing more hours, and that she (my boss) won't/hasn't given me extra hours due to me being 'too tired'!!

Now I have never turned down extra hours, I have often worked the 8 + extra of a week and yes I am tired but I still go in and do my job to my best of my abilities! I go in if I am ill or not, I have even gone in on crutches when I dislocated my knee and have my knee frequently popping in and out in work! I ALSO took only one day off when my partner passed away last month and that was the fact that the funeral was held on a Monday one of the days I normally work!!!

Not only has she had the cheek to say this to me tonight but when I asked if there was ever going to be an opening for me to be an auxillary within the practice I was told NO that she can't afford to train me (the other A.N isn't fully qualified as hasn't passed her exams and it is the sort of job you can learn as you work!!)

I am really upset by all of this!! Do you think I am being stupid for being upset or do you agree with me?

I also help out the back A LOT doing the job of an AN AND the job of the receptionist one minute I am asked to help out the next I am being told off for being out there too much and not doing my 'job'!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHH

Sorry for the long rant and well done if you have got to the end!!

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

((((hugs)))) it's awful when people back-track on what they say

I think you need to speak to her about the extra hours and state that if there's extra on offer they should be fairly divided between everyone who wants them BUT that depends on the job where the hours are available (is this the AN or Receptionist?)

I guess the only other thing to do would be to stick to Reception only duties for say a week and maybe they'll realise how much extra you're doing

3. kitkatze

kitkatze PetForums Member

I dont know how it works in england but i understand why you are so upset by all of this. It is very understanding that you feel like this.

It sounds like you disclosed all the necessary information about your illnesses, and I am sorry that you have to deal with such. I think you are super for going in on very difficult days. I think your boss is behaving very wrong. Is it common practise in england to sign a contract *(and) with the amount of work load you can agree to do like say 30 or 80%? You sound like a very hard and passionate worker. Are you able to challenge this?

I am sorry to hear this problem you are dealing with. I hope you can resolve it soon.:)

4. Kittenfostermummy

The hours have been given to a nurse, and two receptionists.

I have tried just sticking to reception work before but then I get asked to do something out the back and I can't seem to say no.

I am just going to have to send my CV out to all the local vets and see if there is anything out there for me more in the part of the job I want to work in! I just worry that if I do manage to have any interest I won't be given a fair reference due to her not wanting to let on how much I actually do do there!!!

5. Kittenfostermummy

Kitkaze, the only way I could see of challenging this is the fact that she is pretty much discriminating against me due to my illnesses which is illegal but that would me a tribunal and not very nice! :(

6. kitkatze

To me, this sounds very unprofessional but i dont really know how it works in england, that your requirements for what is needed for you to do the job you have been accepted to do is a bit- bit and not on paper to show the agreed requirements. I do hope that sending your resume is successful. It is great that you are passionate in an area and wish to gain the experience to work there , even though you have unwell times.

She should provide a fair reference, if you did all that was asked of you and more so, then she is obliged to give you a fair reference. To do otherwise is unprofessional. :)

7. kitkatze

Yes. I can see this too. Her behaviour has been... not so good.:sad:

8. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I empathise. Honestly, one of the best things I did was leave my last veterinary job - you were expected to man reception, answer phones, do all the cleaning, all the autoclaving, packaging the surgical kits, stock the entire hospital with consumables (no easy feat when it's open 24/7)....oh, and actually look after several wards of sick patients to do some nursing. :eek: Of course, doing all that is impossible in one shift, meaning that certain areas suffer. All for near enough minimum wage with a dire shift pattern and rarely a word of thanks.

Sadly I think the veterinary industry is going down the pan with the way they train nurses. It's all degree students now as they get essentially get a full time worker for free. Not that the degree is a bad thing, but it's bad news for people who want to learn on the job; being a full-time student just isn't an option for many.

I'd look for another job.

9. ThumperThomas

ThumperThomas PetForums Junior

Hi There

If you have been there for 2 years then you have full employment rights and I would suggest giving ACAS a call (look up on the net) and have a chat with them.

If your boss is giving out extra hours and she isn't giving them to you based on you being 'tired' then this could be a form of discrimination due to your medical condition.

You don't have to go to a tribunal as only a small percentage get to that stage but it's well worth having a chat with ACAS and getting further advice.

Good Luck

10. Kittenfostermummy

Look for another job in the veterinary field or another job altogether??

11. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I would speak to ACAS too and when you have some evidence to show from them that she is discriminating, make an appointment to see her and go through this in a calm manner. I'm sure you are entitled to someone to come with you to any meeting.

What you do next is up to you as far as a job goes, employers can't give a bad reference now, they are obligated to say you worked there and that's it. You stand a better chance to get a job if you already have a job. However rather than send out your CV, why don't you go around to each vet in the area - making the effort would count a lot.

12. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Depends.

Personally I can't be bothered with the veterinary politics and bitchiness any more. But then I had the misfortune to work with numerous oddballs and eccentrics.

I work in a human hospital now rather than a veterinary one and it's a completely different atmosphere, in a positive way. Far more encouraging, supportive, respectful and close knit; a total 360 flip from vets I've worked in.

13. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Ask (in a loud voice) who on the staff would be the person to give a job reference

That always gets back to whoever is in charge, then see what happens

14. Kittenfostermummy

Labradrk, I wouldn'y mind working in a human hospital atmosphere HOWEVER I suffer from emetophobia (fear or people being sick and me being sick) and therefore I just can't cope if someone is ill and going to vomit!

This even had a major impact of me visiting my boyfriend towards the end of his illness when he was being sick a lot, and if I couldn't even visit someone who I loved as much as I loved him I doubt I could do it for a job! :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice