Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Really stubborn pup, advice needed!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by redginald, Feb 10, 2012.

1. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

Cooper our 18 week old DDB puppy seems to have gone back a few steps the last couple of days. In the house he will sit, lay down, come and stay on command, when i walk him i always ask him to sit at kerbs and he normally does although sometimes not the 1st ask. Yesterday i was stood at the end of the road for about 10 mins waiting for him to sit and he has done this every request the last 2 days. I say "sit" and point down, he ignores, i show him the treat ( i upgraded to cheese as he loves it and thought the normal treats may be too low value but its not helped) he just stands there. I refuse to walk on, I'm aware forcing him to sit doesn't work and i know your not supposed to keep repeating, so what should I do??? I look an idiot stood there, saying sit increasingly louder, and he just stands there, yet once inside he does it instantly?? If i can't walk on and not bother to get him to sit, can't keep repeating sit, can't force him to sit, Can't manipulate him to sit with the treat, what can i do ? :confused: :mad:

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I do not really believe in stubborn.

But tell me this.

WHY must a dog SIT at a kerb?

Would YOU put your naked bum down on a dirty pavement (yuk) especially in the current temperatures?

I do not ask for a sit at kerbs, I do not WANT my dogs sticking their bums on some of the filthy pavements around.

I just want a dog that is under control in the stand.

3. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

I was wondering if it had something to do with the weather as we have had some snow, I understand what your saying but surely I should be able to put my dog into a sit if required?! It's not asking much of him?!

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Do you ever give a treat for something that isn't done on the first command?

5. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

I believe in a sit at kerbs and I think it was beaglemafia that posted ages ago that Buster or Millie had slipped their lead on a busy road and luckily,because they had been trained to sit at a kerb thats exactly what they did!So no harm in teaching Cooper to sit at the kerb.

I think,you are meant to ask him once to sit,and then basically wait,until he does,treat immediately,lots of praise and then move on,now I know its not practical always to wait,you have small children etc and can't be expected to be standing at the roadside for maybe 10-15mins until he decides to sit,but what you are showing him is,you ask once,he does the command and you move on.The fact of the matter is,you have to learn to be more stubborn as them,as I have had to learn:)

6. PennyH

PennyH PetForums Senior

Have you tried putting the treat right above his nose, gradually moving it backwards towards his tail so his nose follows it and his bum automatically goes down into the sit? Might be worth a try if not!!! Just don't let him pinch the treat until in the correct position!!

7. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

Yes, I have treated after asking more than once, from now on I will ask once, and wait, even if I wait a long time I take it I can still reward?! I've waited for 10-15 mins a couple of times and repeating sit didn't help I had smoke coming out my ears but refused to move until he sat. The treat over his head works sometimes but sometimes he doesn't appear very interested in the treat. Another problem is he sometimes stands as soon as I say good boy and treat, I have to reward forth sit but I don't want him to move until I say come, what's the bestcway to achieve this?

I want him to sit at kerbs, malmum suggested the "nothing is for free" approach and it's something I agree with, I think it's a good way to achieve some basic control and makes every day tasks into easy training routines, if I can carry it out properly, it's probably a good idea to be able to get a 50+kilo dog to sit by asking him.

8. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Well done for sticking with it and remember all the hard work you put in now,will be worth it later,sounds like a cliche but it is really true,unfortunately its taken 2 years for me to find out haha Thats alot of hard work!
    I also believe in NILIF well certain aspect of it,Alf has to workfor his treats but the sofa is his:D Its good to make Cooper work for his treats etc and its also continuous training so will help you form a bond with each other.

#8 theevos5, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  9. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

Cheers!, can't see him jumping through hoops like alf!, all I ask is for him to know the basic commands well!

10. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

You never know,he may surprise you,I want to see it if he does though,can you imagine the size of the hoop:eek:

11. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

It would take some doing!!, would probably end up as a collar!!

12. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

I tried the sit at kerbs with Woody, didnt work:eek: so now I use "wait" and if he sits or stands it works:D:D:D

And believe me I need some sort of command on the A5 road:eek::eek:

13. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

It did work!, now he looks at me as if to say "not today", it's difficult because coopers weird, he doesn't really like walks so if you refuse to go on until he sits it's fine by him, he doesn't want to cross the road anyway!

14. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

15. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

16. purrr

purrr PetForums Senior

these are my thoughts am forever telling my other half off for asking the dogs to sit out side, i told him one day to take his jeans off and sit on the cold floor and he wouldn't so as i said don't ask the dogs to then,
    i use the "wait" and "come" and even if i step of the curb untill i say "come" they will not walk forward, its kinda funny sometimes as i have forgotten a few times and wonder why i wasn't going anywhere lol

17. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

Ah!!, but then i wouldn't leave the house in nothing than body hair and a leather collar :eek: I would get some strange looks :w00t: I also wouldn't eat kibble, or tripe from a bowl, i wouldn't eat raw chicken or go around sniffing peoples bums, and licking poo, I am not a dog, my dog is not a person, i would prefer if he sat at the kerb :D

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Why dont you put him in a sit. If he doesnt do as he is told make sure he does. What is the problem with it. I have always taught sit by bringing either the lead or hand up so the head comes up and then gently putting the bottom into the sit. Never had a dog object or argue. I have never used a titbit either. If you tell him to sit and wait for ages for it to happen what exactly are you teaching him - only that it is fine to do what he likes and at some stage when he still does what he likes he will get a treat.

19. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

20. redginald

redginald PetForums VIP

It seems to come back to the fact it seems he's not interested in walking unless the family are present. Today I walked him with the kids and he did (within reason) what he was told, when he was being off it was him and me, he wasn't interested in the treat so couldn't use it to manipulate him, he seems more interested in getting home

It crossed my mind he could be in pain but he sits with no probs indoors so think he's ok

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice