Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

REALLY stinky chicken ND?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by toryb, Feb 6, 2012.

1. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

OMG I have never smelt anything so bad...ever :eek: I opened two packs this morning and both were rancid! We have just switched our pup onto ND and now im re-thinking it and I might head over to WW trays. I rang ND and she said that this does happen sometimes even though the packs appear sealed. I have 16 more packs which i now dont want to open :huh: I have emailed vetuk as ND suggested and am waiting to hear back...has anyone else had this problem?

Ugh i feel sick!

2. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Was it mouldy or were the lids "puffy" at all? I've had this happen in the past but that was a long time ago. Did she ask you the batch number? Normally ND have always replaced any directly to me. Assume they've got a good BB date on them. Hopefully Vet UK will replace them for you.

3. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

No the packs look totaly normal :confused: She took the batch number down and the BB is 09/2012. Not mouldy but they were watery.

4. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I've always found ND to be very good with their customer services. Hope your hear back from Vet UK, but if not, I would think ND would replace them for you.

#4 henry, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Perhaps their BB dates are far too long for such a natural food:hand: I've adapted my thinking to "cans are for storing, trays are for using";):D

I've been back using it again for a few months with no problems. I buy mine locally, a months worth at a time. In that time I've swopped one over before I bought it because it was leaking:w00t:

6. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

Thanks, I havnt heard back from vet UK yet but I opened another chicken last night and it was bad and then another chicken this morning and that was bad too :huh: I really dont want to open the others...infact i think its put me off ever buying the chicken one again...its disgusting! :(

7. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I would ring ND back and tell them you have a whole case of it - hopefully they will send you a new case direct. Good luck!

8. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

I stopped using nature diet for that very reason. And sorry to say that I found customer services less than helpful. And the rancid meat (which happened far too often) was from normal packs. I.e not blown or damaged. I won't touch it now.

9. henry

henry PetForums VIP

ND did have a problem a year or so ago with the machines not sealing the packs properly. I've not had a problem for a long while now - the packets seem much more difficult to open now. Has anyone else had recent problems, ie, in the last two or three months?

I bought 10 cases of 18 in one go and checked them all when I got them home and not one was blown.

10. silverbeetle

silverbeetle PetForums Member

We started using Naturediet again for Freddie in November and so far no blown cartons. I no longer bulk buy though - just buy regularly from small local pet shop.

I buy most flavours (no chicken though as it upsets his tummy) and all have been fine to date.

I stopped using ND because of the blown cartons so hope this will not become a problem again as Freddie's tummy is great on this food (fingers crossed)

I have found the packets more difficult to open - have to use a sharp knife around edges.

11. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

Again, in my experience the fact that the pack is not blown or damaged is no guarantee that it it does not contain rotten rancid meat.

12. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

Well I have to be honist im not that impressed with Nature Diet customer services to be honist! :rolleyes: I rang them back as I hadnt heard from VetUK and the lady at ND told me that they wouldnt do anything for me unless I could get vetuk to contact them and discuss the probem packs. They did give me the number for vetuk and so i rang them and chased it up...they will only refund me for the packs that are already opened and bad...all the ones still sealed I have to work my way through and tell them as and when I find any bad ones... How many phone calls will that take? :rolleyes: Im not impressed at all. Lady at vetuk has gone off to ring ND...

13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I'm v surprised:eek: Naturediet used to be excellent in dealing with their faulty pks.

I wonder if they've had people pulling a fast one and using the faulty seal situation to get a few freebies.:rolleyes:

Not saying what they've done to you is right. You're a legitimate case and possibly being penalised by the idiots that cashed in, (if that's the case). :(

Genuine cases should be dealt with as efficiently and hassle free as poss. It's bad enough having the rancid food.:hand:

14. toryb

toryb PetForums Senior

Honistly im just going to throw the rest away and suck up the cost...I cant face opening that many and smelling it that many times! :eek:

I think im going to switch to WW trays which is a shame as we just changed her to ND but i cant be bothered to go through this if i get more faulty packs :( When i put my faith in a product its not just the product but the customer services and customer values...she didnt even appologise or take my name or anything...just told me she wouldnt help and that vetuk needed to sort it...it wasnt their problem. Very dissapointed!

15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I changed back to ND from WW a few months ago because I felt ND was possibly the better food with much more info readily available and great customer service.

They used to take up the complaints themselves but I suppose strictly speaking our contract is with the retailer and for them to take it up with the manufacturer. I hope Vetuk come back to you with a bit more help.:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice