Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Really shocked

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sazjf, Apr 9, 2011.

1. sazjf

sazjf PetForums Member

Hi all,

So, here is the situation. A kinda friend of the family (not mine) has a 11 month old cat and lets the cat out, even though its not spayed.
    I saw her yesterday and she said that she thought last week that she was pregnant but turned out she wasnt?!?

After me having to seriously bite my tongue, i told her that if she wants to let the cat out she needs to get it neutered. I had the whole, "but its going to cost this much blah blah i cant afford blah blah"
    so i spoke to cats protection re the neutering vouchers. i spoke to a nice lady who gave me the number for the person i needed to speak to and said she could be a bit "funny" but any problems get back to her. I rang the number and left a message.
    By 5pm the lady hadnt called back and the owner of the cat asked if i could call again. So i rang cats protection back and asked if there was anyone else who could deal with it.
    I was absolutely shocked as the woman on the other end of the phone went for me bigtime, about how the lady is busy and she does work as well, they dont get paid for working at cats protection, they are all volunteers! (all i which i am VERY aware of!)
    i then said thats fine i will wait for her to call then and put the phone down.

I cannot believe someone could be so rude, all she had to say was, " im afraid there is no-one else but she will call you back," and i would have done that.

So, i am afraid to say i got very annoyed and called the helpline number for cats protection regarding it and spoke to a lady there who was not only shocked but also informed me that she would send the voucher out herself.

I also queried what i was told by the CPL when i was looking to rehome a kitten, (i was told because i have children under 6 they wouldnt even consider rehoming a kitten/cat with us) and she informed me that is totally wrong and apologised.

I am more upset about that throughout all of this, that i could have rehomed 2 kittens who needed a home but because they said that i went elsewhere.

Really shocked at the way they deal with things.

Oh, as for the cat owner,she has promised (and i will be checking!) that she will keep her cat in until it is neutered!

Sorry, rant over!!

2. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Sorry you had a hard time with CPL :( I do think branches interpret the rules how ever they want and it's very sad that those who really want to rehome a cat are turned away for some very petty reasons :(
    Hope your friend gets their kitten spayed before it is too late. females in call are very good at escaping and will look for every opportunity so I hope the CPL voucher arrives soon. Well done for going to that trouble for your friend - it doesn't sound as if they would have bothered to do it themselves :rolleyes:

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I think our CPL goes too far the other way, when we got Snaggle (who has since moved out to live with a neighbour because Elvis bullied him :(), I rang the CPL and they gave me a phone number to ring, I collected him about an hour later, no home check, no questions, I seriously could have been anyone, the person who was fostering for them had to find him as at 8 weeks he and his siblings were roaming the streets. Having said that this is 12 years ago, hopefully things have changed since.

5. sazjf

sazjf PetForums Member

Hi,

It really annoys me how these places are screaming out for people to rehome the cats and kittens they have but like when i called they just said no.

As in my prev threads regarding the difficulty we had with them we have provided a loving comfortable and happy home where they are totally spoilt(!) and we would have loved to rehome a couple who needed it but the woman i spoke to at the local branch straight out "no" because i have children under 6 who are actually fab with the cats.

Ren, i remember your thread and was very interesting. I was certainly not impressed with them. Like i said before though when i phoned the national helpline the lady i spoke to was really helpful and said that they could have easily rehomed a kitten or cat with us.

Such a shame because goodness knows how many other families have been turned away for things that are wrong.

6. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

def depends on your branch and the person you deal with at your branch. I have indoor cats protection cats.

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

It wasn't the Burton on Trent branch was it because I had to make an almost identical call last year, on behalf of my scabby neighbours, & I got a lecture like you wouldn't believe!! :cursing: I was furious when I put the phone down! I don't let ANYONE talk to me the way that woman did and most certainly someone I have never met and who knows nothing about me.

OH has been muttering about us getting another cat and, as we don't want a kitten but an older one, a rescue baby is the way to go. Normally the local CPL would have been my very first stop but after the above experience they have gone right to the bottom of the pile!!! :mad:

:mad:: :mad:: :mad::

8. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

I was told no too because I live in a flat even though it is bigger than most 2 bed houses, i wanted indoor cats anyway but a lot of rescue places I've had contact with seem to want the cats to be able to go outside.

9. kunzy

kunzy Guest

What a RIDICULOUS rule. :mad:

10. sazjf

sazjf PetForums Member

No Moggybaby im in dorset so it was my local one. It shocks me that these rescues claim to be desperate to rehome these kittens and cats rather than us going to people who breed them but they have stupid restrictions that i have now found out is wrong.

My 2 are indoor cats and 9 times out of 10 there is someone here with them, and when there isnt they seem quite happy to curl up on the sofa and have a doze. Some of what i was told by not just CPL was ridiculous.

Dom85, i had exactly the same issue with a few of rescues when i said this, inc CPL, and one told me that the only way i would be able to have a cat is if it needed to be in due to ill health?!
    I think if its a kitten who has never been outside i honestly dont see their issue, they are safer inside although they do have to be entertained a lot more!! Whereas if it was a cat that had been going outside then i can kinda see their point, But, that is what they are there for, to make sure the cat or kitten they rehome is going to be loved, looked after, and then try to find a cat who would be suitable.

11. sazjf

sazjf PetForums Member

Kunzy i got told by one rescue that i couldnt have an indoor cat because if they saw a cat outside they would get stressed because its their territory?!?

My response: How can it be their territory if they dont go outside, their territory is surely just the house?!

Bizarre!

12. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

I know, it just seems crazy to me. I wanted a kitten anyway, dont get me wrong I would love to be able to offer a loving home to an older cat too but my son is too young for that I think but that scared them off even more, a toddler and a flat??!!! :eek They didn't even bother to do a home check where they would have found ample space and a very bright, caring toddler who's used to being around cats and is very gentle with them and gives them their space.

13. Quixoticish

Quixoticish PetForums Junior

I've had similar experiences with both the CPL and RSPCA. The RSPCA insisted we fit a cat flap before they would even come and do a home visit, even though we explained we were looking for an indoor only cat and explained that I work from home so would be in all day every day. Some of the staff at the RSPCA were rather rude as well, always suspicious and giving us the general impression that we weren't good enough for their cats.

When we eventually did get a home visit the volunteer was incredibly negative about anything and everything, even pointing out that us having carpets would allegedly count against us because "cats will just rip that up". It was an endless stream of pointless questions that had nothing whatsoever to do with our suitability to adopt a cat or our ideas about animal husbandry, and she made it quite obvious she didn't like the look of us from the outset and had made her decision based on that.

We felt so insulted and let down by the RSPCA that we spoke to the CPL instead. They outright said that they wouldn't let us have a house cat as they felt keeping a cat indoors is cruel and they don't believe it is in the best interests of the animal, even if it is a cat that has previously only ever been kept inside that they are re-homing. I'm not sure if that is the official CPL party line but that's certainly what I was told when speaking to staff at my local CPL and also when I sought clarification via an e-mail enquiry sent over their website.

Both organisations treated us appallingly, you would never think you were trying to do them a favour by taking a cat or kitten off their hands and giving it a kind and loving home. We felt that from the outset many of the staff looked us up and down and immediately surmised that we weren't good enough for their cats, there seemed to be very little interest in re-homing what they seemed to consider to be their own private pets.

Instead we sought out a reputable breeder and now have a beautiful baby Ragdoll who is everything we could ever have asked for and more, a happier cat you couldn't meet. It's such a crying shame that we couldn't adopt a rescue cat instead, and even more of a shame that we wouldn't ever consider approaching or donating to either organisation again given how atrociously they treated my partner and I.

#13 Quixoticish, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  14. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

i must add in defence of the cats protection that not all the branches are like this. some women at some of the branches can get a bit carried away about where the cats go, but its not like this at every branch.
    you did the right thing going above their heads, i think they need to know what is going on

15. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I have found the RSPCA to be really lovely but the CPL were condescending each time I have spoken to them. I am not really happy about getting a cat or kitten from them, as whilst I understand why they are so protective of their animals, to act as if people are bad for wanting a kitten instead of a cat is not paticularly nice either.

I really do not want to go to a breeder when I know so many kittens need a home, but I am increasing feeling that I may as well if this is the way you are treated by them.

My MIL had a simliar experience with NCDL who treated her appallingly (she has always got her dogs from there in the past), as if she was an old lady so she should only have an old dog, even though she had explained she knew exactly what was involved with puppies (having had 4 dogs in her lifetime). She was so upset by them she ended up buying her puppy instead, something which she was trying to avoid, but quite frankly I couldn't blame her.

You go to these rescue shelters to protect animals and often get treated as if you are a potential abuser - it is not very nice. Working as a volunteer might show up some horrible human traits but you should get training to remember not everyone is like that.

16. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

my mother in law wanted to rehome a cat but was turned down by cats protection and rspca because she live to close to a main road???? unless you live out in the countryside who doesn't live near some sort of main road :confused: she then went and bought a kitten, yet another good opportunity to rehome a cat gone. :(

17. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

My advice to anyone who is turned down for rehoming a cat or kitten by an individual CP branch (maybe even the RSPCA) would be to give the head office a call and double check with them about the reasons you were given.

Please don't give up on rescuing a cat or kitten in rescue due to the reasons given, especially if they haven't even visited your home. It's not the cats fault that some homecheckers go by their own 'requirements' when deciding, instead of treating each on a case by case basis.

I know there are justified reasons for homecheckers turning people down, and sometimes they give other reasons so as not to offend. But I would hate to think that cats continue to lose out on homes due to the reasons in the latter part of the paragraph above.

Another reason why it's important to do this is because I don't think the CP realise the gravity of what's going on. The only way they will find out is if more people call and enquire about the reasons they are given, or complain about the way they have been treated.

I admire the people that volunteer for charity work like this, but it must only be done to benifit the charity, not damage it the way it's currently being damaged :(

18. chellemich

chellemich PetForums Member

I got my two kittens from CPL but I almost wasn't allowed them. I live in a flat and intend to keep them indoors. My mum is a volunteer fosterer for CPL and practically begged the homing officer to let me have the cats. Her personal opinion was that cats shouldn't be kept indoors and as I work all day it wouldn't be fair. In the end she gave in to my mum but I think it was because my mum told her I'd sometimes work from home and I'd let them out once building works had finished on my estate. But my babies are far too precious to be let loose outside. I sometimes feel guilty for copping them up inside but I've read so many stories of cats being killed on the roads I'm not risking it. I don't think it should be up to them to choose how you 'raise' a pet, as long as they can be satisfied you will love and care for it well.

19. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

We have had some very strange staff at our CPL.. Kind of makes you think.. now I know why all the pens are full.. :rolleyes:

20. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I don't feel guilty at all about keeping mine indoors. Aslong as they're well entertained. I do feel guilty about going to keep 6 cats in a small flat but hopefully by the time the kittens are fully grown we'll have a house and we can give them an enclosure in the garden to supplement indoor living. I think it's daft to refuse a home based on wanting to keep them indoors when it's overall safer than letting them out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice