Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Really scared now ! Have I done the right thing!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ChatterPuss, Mar 1, 2017.

1. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

Well over the last few weeks we've been trying to find the owner of cat who keeps trying to get into our house through our bedroom window! I've had a thread on here about a nickname that could stick if he stayed and just put a Poll on as he is now booked into our vets for neutering tomorrow!

BUT I'm really frightened now as they kept stating it's a criminal offence to neuter someone else's cat and could be sued! Which the Cats Protection League mentioned too!
    Have I left it long enough?
    I posted on numerous local sites over 4 weeks ago and local vets put him on their website on Saturday when we caught him to check if he was chipped? His picture is on 3 other different local Facebook sites including local lost and found cats and the vets website with photos and our local towns 'I Love' Facebook page! He's had a collar on with our number since Saturday which he still has on today! I've notified Cats Protection League who told me to put him on Pet Search for 2 weeks which I done, but to contact the RSPCA who may help sooner! They have today agreed to send a voucher for neutering tomorrow!
    He kept me awake all night last night meowing at my bedroom window every hour from 12 midnight through to 5am and then every 1/2 hour from 5am - 9am.
    I would hate if he was my cat and someone else was taking him in, but we've not fed him or encouraged him and he won't stay away and we can't find the owner! He's not neutered, chipped or has a collar?
    I thought I was doing the right thing but now I'm questioning myself!

Babyshoes likes this.
  2. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

I am wondering how long cat rescues leave it before assuming there is no owner when cats are handed into them as stray or abandoned animals. Obviously if they can't find an owner alot of them neuter/chip etc prior to putting the cat up for rehoming. Have you asked them the question?

Given the cat does seem to have been abandoned I would have thought any owner who subsequently pops out of the woodwork could equally have a charge of neglect levelled against them?

If you are really worried it could be worth getting some legal advice. Are you in a union or do you have eg hone insurance that gives you a free legal advice line? You could even ask the police. Solicitors can definitely advise over this though as my friend sought advice when her vile ex husband as an act of malice handed her cat into a rescue claiming she had abandoned her.

Good luck!

leashedForLife, AmsMam, Ali71 and 2 others like this.
  3. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

2 weeks. After that the cat can be neutered and rehomed.

It sounds like you have done more than enough to trace an owner.

4. ChatterPuss

Thank you, I specifically didn't feed it or encourage it but I couldn't believe how frequently he came last night!
    I have waited to give owners a fair chance to contact us but am concerned about the cat getting injured or harmed as he seems so timid and out all night!

leashedForLife likes this.
  5. ChatterPuss

Thank you!

6. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I didn't know that law :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I swiped my elderly neighbour's cat many years ago now, as the poor cat was always pregnant and the old lady would just drown the kittens, so I pinched the cat, had her done at the vets, kept her in my home to recover and fur to grow back a little and let her out, the old lady never really noticed the cats slightly bald side!

Do you know what, I'd do it again even if I got caught.:D

7. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Good for you x

Babyshoes and Jeano1471 like this.
  8. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I believe most rescues have to legally wait seven days before they can put a stray cat up for adoption though I know when I was volunteering at Cats Protection, they kept them in isolation for two weeks when they arrived to ensure they didn't bring any illnesses or infections with them. I don't think if you've been trying to find an owner for four weeks, anyone can accuse you of not trying or stealing him and as he's not chipped, anyone claiming to be the owner would have to prove ownership. I really don't see why you can't let him into your home even if you are still looking for a possible owner. If he's not neutered or chipped, then he doesn't have a very caring owner and you can only be doing the cat good by having him done at some stage. My only worry would be perhaps he comes from further afield than your area so an owner wouldn't necessarily see your enquiries unless you've put them on national lost and found websites. One way out of it would be to let a rescue take him but tell them you would like to adopt him and they could wait their official time then you could apply when he's ready for adoption.

leashedForLife and ChatterPuss like this.
  9. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

I agree. I know there's a slim chance that this cat has ended up on a van and comes from about 300 miles away, but if this is the case, you may never find the owners - you've done everything you can and quite frankly no court of law in the UK would accept litigation against you.

Contrary to a lot of apparent evidence, the law tends to side with 'reasonable actions'. In law, a 'reasonable person', 'reasonable man', or 'the man on the Clapham omnibus' is a hypothetical person of legal fiction who is ultimately an anthropomorphic representation of the body care standards crafted by the courts and communicated through case law and jury instructions.

What this basically means id that if a 'reasonable person' would say that you'd done everything within your power to find the owner of the cat then the law would concur with that - I think any reasonable person would say you'd done just about everything you can, so don't worry.

10. ChatterPuss

Only problem with that is all the rescues are full! The RSPCA agreed to sort the neutering voucher as we were happy to let him stay and take him in! I think they're overrun with very little resources!

leashedForLife likes this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As said by Erenya you are required to make "reasonable efforts" to trace the cat's owner before adopting him and by the sounds of it you have more than done that.

As the cat is an un-neutered male he could have come from outside your area, as entire males often wander a long way in search of a mate and have a territory as much as 2 square miles. As a last attempt to find the owner you could try contacting all vets within a 2 mile square area to see if he has been reported missing. After that I would stop searching.

12. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I think you have done more than enough and shouldn't worry any more. CP obviously agree or they wouldn't have given you the voucher.

There is plenty of dated evidence on this forum to back up what you have done.

Looking forward to hearing him settle in his new home.

leashedForLife and ChatterPuss like this.
  13. ChatterPuss

Our vets is the nearest and is 1.8 miles from where we live and have him advertised on their website! So should certainly cover around the 2 mile radius

leashedForLife, lorilu and chillminx like this.
  14. ChatterPuss

Well I was concerned due to the bad terrible weather and bad gales/winds and torrential rain last night that he wouldn't come but during a short break in the weather he came straight in through the window at 2.45am this morning! He cried a few times and tries to get out when I shut the window but then slept on the bedroom floor or the end of my bed! He stays close to me and is enjoying the fuss! Who would leave their cat out all night in the horrendous weather we had last night! I'm more convinced now he doesn't have a home and he still has my collar on since Saturday so hasn't been home in at least the last 6 days! Op booked for this morning!

15. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Let us know he is after the op!

ChatterPuss likes this.
  16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I would doubt that to be honest, I wouldn't involve them.

17. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Way to go...left entire he will wander off, get lost, get into fights, get nasty abscesses and end up likely with FIV. Neutering is the best thing you can do for him (in fact there are organisations which will do neutering for free if the cat is a stray) . It helps to keep the cat healthy and prevents them breeding and increasing the stray/feral cat population. It's a pity more people aren't like you!!:)

#17 Calvine, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  18. ChatterPuss

I did ring after the Cats protection league told me to ring them and it's actually the RSPCA that are sending the voucher today for the op, but I think it made the difference that we were prepared to take him on!

lorilu likes this.
  19. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

If the RSPCA sent the voucher then I think there is no problem in getting him done...you got it done on their advice so I think you have covered yourself.

AmsMam and ChatterPuss like this.
  20. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

If hes entire, with no collar and tag or chip then I hope you dont find his owners they seem very irresponsible :Banghead

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice