Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Really nervous!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jano432, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Have posted on here since adopting a semi-feral cat in November last year. She is 4-5 years and has been living in the rescue for the last two years.

She is no lap cat but is a little more sociable than when we first had her though we still have a long way to go!

She has had the first of her jabs, been treated for worms, fleas etc and her last jab is at the weekend and she is being chipped. Technically she us then fit to go out. This worries me as i am not sure it will make her less sociable with us, as its an escape route! However she sits at the window and longs to be out particularly with this nice weather. If i dont get her going out in an organised way, i think she will get out at some stage and i think that may not be the best way.

1. I am worried she will stray off and we will loose her.
    2. How can i teach her to use the cat flap?? She still doesnt like close contact and doesnt like to be picked up!
    3. How can i ensure she is back so i can lock her in at night?

I have had cats all my life but mostly from kittens. This one is unpredictable!

Advice please, worse than having a child.

Jan

#1 Jano432, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

With mine when first letting them out I let them out at dinner time, so they were hungry, then called them back in after 2 mins for food. I did this repeatedly, extending them amount of time they were out for. I've never locked mine out but hopefully if you call her in at the same time every night she'll get into the routine.

The cat flap is easy. Tape the flap open and leave it a few days. Then close it but put treats the other side. You can sometimes hold it open for her and wave treats at her!

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice